IGNORED

Schiit Audio Releases its Unison USB Upgrade

Just now, JoeWhip said:

I do not think there are many if any recordings that actually have 24 bits of resolution. Schiit addresses this is the FAQ section n the Yggy on their website.

Yes they do, but they don't explain how in the hell that transfers to all the 24 bit files I have here to play through it.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Same thing that happens if you send your DAC a 32 bit file. 

What happens? My DAC says I can send it 32/768 files and that's what HQPlayer says it is sending it. Would HQPlayer tell me it is sending a 21 bit file to the Yggy?

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, JoeWhip said:

That 24 bit file in all likelihood is not filled with 24 bits of resolution, maybe 18 or 19. The rest is zeros, so it doesn’t matter. Think of a 3/4 filled bucket. The 3/4 of water matters, not the 1/4 of air.

Ok, so now that makes some more sense. Thank you.

No electron left behind.

9 minutes ago, davide256 said:

What the tech at Schiit said was wrong. This most likely is a standards interpretation conflict or omission between Aurender and Schiit.  Else those of us using NUCs with AL and Euphony  would be affected.

I have one of these on order as a gift and I am wondering if anyone with a Sonore device is using a Yggdrasil with the Unison USB upgrade. If so, and it isn't working, I would like to know ahead of time.

Maybe @The Computer Audiophile can test that too?

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, jiminlogansquare said:

Thanks, that is helpful. They do say "most" (twice for emphasis) and not "all" Linux based streamers, which still leaves me wondering about the Roon Nucleus. But at least it's not categorically excluded.

I ordered it based on the fact the Sonore is specifically mentioned. Hoping it works.

No electron left behind.

9 minutes ago, jiminlogansquare said:

Thanks, that is helpful. They do say "most" (twice for emphasis) and not "all" Linux based streamers, which still leaves me wondering about the Roon Nucleus. But at least it's not categorically excluded.

Maybe this will help you make a decision. Roon says the Nucleus supports the UAC2 standard that Schitt says the Unison USB is compatible with.

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.05.10 PM.png

No electron left behind.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

why?  sd card may not be as easy for noise or other reasons, but certainly would be a much more useful product than a cd player in terms of quantity and convenience.

Because unless it's a portable device, my entire library won't fit on an SD card for one, and for two, why? It is a pointless complication.

No electron left behind.

15 minutes ago, lmitche said:

This implies that you can build the worlds best sounding one box CD player with analog outputs today as no USB circuits need be involved. Is that right?

There are many serious audiophiles that will toss their birds nest of streaming gear in a heartbeat for such a solution if it also has a decent remote.

BTW - Personally I am not going back to CD playback, ever. My Modius arrives on Monday.

As I understand it, the USB is the output of the CD player with Unison. If I am wrong, I am sure everyone will correct me.

No electron left behind.

I have a confession to make...  I am writing up my thoughts, but quickly.

My travel system consists of, among other things, a Schitt Modi Multibit DAC and damn if it isn't a sweet sounding DAC for $249 + tax and shipping. So good in fact, it has me ready to order a Yggdrasil to use instead of the DA2 Module in my Mcintosh.

I am listening to the Multibit right now, plugged into the Mcintosh and sourcing music from the Pi4 NAA endpoint I just assembled.

No electron left behind.

4 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

As a former Chord Blu2 owner, I think they would have a killer transport with a modest quality CD transport, robust casework, USB in, ethernet in, USB out, and running embedded HQP for upsampling (PCM to PCM sinc-M could be done very cheaply from a compute budget).  It would sound extraordinary, and be end game for 99% of the people out there.

They have their own filter they don't need HQP. My understanding is that inside the Yggy the signal gets upsampled so they can run their filter non destructively.

No electron left behind.

8 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Yes, the megaburrito filter Which I believe runs at DXD levels, i.e. 352.8 and 384. I buy tge Yggy for that and send bit perfect data in, at least, as bit perfect as I can get using Audirvana with all upsampling etc turned off.

My experiences with a Modi Multibit have me strongly considering a Yggy for my second system.

No electron left behind.