IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

On 2/5/2020 at 8:45 PM, Nenon said:

Thank you. That makes sense, because these are also the two steel enforced PCIe slots.

In that case, the plan is:

- PinkFaun Bridge in PCIEX16/X8_1

- JCAT Net Femto in PCIEX8/X4_2

- Optane in M.2_1.

- Leave M.2_2 unused.

Actually I need to check how M.2_1 connects. Hopefully not through the chipset. I may end up using M.2_2 instead. 

How does optane work on this motherboard? Still low latency for os?

5 minutes ago, Nenon said:

It works as a regular NVME storage for the OS. The OS loads to RAM on boot. So there is very little / almost no I/O after the OS is loaded. The common believe why this particular Optane card sounds so good is because it consumes very little power while idle... and most likely that generates less noise.

Thanks!

I think you have also used the pink faun i2s bridge in some of your builds. I may use an AMD CPU to be able to use the i2s bridge, but prefer the intel i9-9900k with the maximus gene XI mobo... pink faun says some intel CPUs work with their bridge, some don't. Do you know first hand if these play well together? Anyone else care to chime in?

Thank you again

1 hour ago, Nenon said:

I do. the PinkFaun I2S bridge would NOT work on the i9-9900k with the maximus gene XI mobo. That's one of the reasons I went the AMD route some time ago. 

Ok that solves that issue! Any idea if the PF i2s bridge would work with xeon 4210 and a supermicro microATX mobo (I know, pretty specific). 

24 minutes ago, Nenon said:

two Xeon CPUs

Interesting.  You doubled up the hdplex heat sink cpu mounts and seem to have added some generic heat sinks to the uncovered edges of each cpu. How do you attach the heat sink cpu mounts to the socket?  2 screws each? 

I was just told the case was incompatible with the socket! This looks great!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hauser said:

Supermicro's mATX  X11 SPM TPF has several ethernet variants and 3 PCIE slots, 1 x M.2.  This with a 4214 CPU will probably be my choice

Biggist issue with this approach seems to be cooling the cpu. There are no off the shelf fanless cooling options for this big cpu. I see that nenon was able to solve that problem, but not yet sure how. 

3 hours ago, OAudio said:

The C621 server development has taken a long time because the decision was taken to research and develop key components from scratch where I wasn't happy with the design / sound quality performance purchased components.

Are you selling something, or planning to? 

Just a head's up, looks like Apacer ECC RAM deliveries are delayed. Here is a quote from Matt at FullySilentPCs: 

"I want to let you know, this PO was delayed. We apologize. This was due to Samsung had changed ETD on our orders and we were not able to fulfill this order by the 25th. As of right now, we don’t have an ETD. Samsung will let us know on the 28th about our orders. We will provide you an ETD then."

So I expect to receive an update tomorrow and will pass the info on to you then. Samsung supplies the dies that Apacer uses in their ECC RAM.

Anyone have another source?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, genvirt said:

power all from two separated rail on LPS

I am going this direction with a dual rail PH power supply (1 for atx, the other for eps). My stopgap is using a keces p8 20v/8a. This is working well.

You may need a graphics card unless you will do your os and player management remotely. 

What will you use for the operating system? Will you put it on a m2 drive?