IGNORED

Cable wars 2020 - a FB experience

Well, I'm not a guy with his own web site for these things, so I won't offer any suggestions since I wouldn't be the one doing the measurements.  That would hardly be fair on my part.  I will say that going to extremes is not necessary to show this effect.

My point in mentioning that one particular detail is that there's far more subtle variables than a simplified model shows or suggests.  And, these details are hardly outliers.  Or insignificant.  You can spend a a few hours with a simulation tool like LTSpice and discover that pretty easily.   (LTSpice is free, BTW.)  Or, you can measure it.  The tests usually performed are probably very accurate, but hardly even close to complete.  

Holy cow...

First, if you take the time to actually do a simulation, or actually measure, you can see the peaking I mentioned.  It doesn't take really extreme cables or speaker loads to get there.  Not by a long shot.  As Barrows alluded to, you don't need to excite the amplifier into full rail-to-rail oscillations at 400 KHz to see how the response changes.  The thing is, the point the response changes too much is the point when you eventually get the system to oscillate.  Before that point isn't perfect - it just isn't to the point of sustained oscillation.

If you want to start small with this, just simulate the response of a very, very simple buffer stage consisting of a JFET with a JFET current source.  Vary the source impedance, just like happens with a volume control pot.

Again, my point is not the extreme case of smoke inducing oscillations, but instability prior to that that can and will affect sound reproduction properties.  Cordell has something to say about all this, too.

BTW, the situation is even more complicated when you add overall loop feedback to an amplifier.

But, don't believe me!  Try it yourself!  Or, just don't believe me without even trying!  I'm ok whichever way.