IGNORED

My first 32.1 system with Sennheiser AMBEO.

STC

I'm glad to conclude that there are people crazier than me in this hobby ;) Could you post an info on speakers placement in your room in your setup (and the room dimensions if you don't mind)? What first came to my mind when I saw this thread was - don't you think 34.1 would sound better? 9_9  Another reflection is (and it's serious this time) - weren't you tempted to use 2 subwoofers (there is stereo bass in some recordings)?

5 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I'm glad to conclude that there are people crazier than me in this hobby ;) Could you post an info on speakers placement in your room in your setup (and the room dimensions if you don't mind)? What first came to my mind when I saw this thread was - don't you think 34.1 would sound better? 9_9  Another reflection is (and it's serious this time) - weren't you tempted to use 2 subwoofers (there is stereo bass in some recordings)?

There are a just few out there. One is here with 64 channels but that object and my room size is just a tad bigger than that.  Another one is the founder himself who is actually using all full range Sound Lab ( some custom made for recreating the reflection). There is also another one but that is a commercial establishment. 

I am not doing object based 3D. I am just utilizing the impulse response that I have for 2 channel music playback. It can support all current format including ATMOS.

I am content with one subwoofer. There were two but didn’t really do much for music.

17 minutes ago, fas42 said:

As an exercise in creating a virtual concert hall around a recording, I think this comes off rather nicely ... 🙂.

I am still waiting for my son’s verdict. He has visited Ralph’s place and according to him ( and the binaural recording he made) the ambiance was so real compared to mine which prompted me to add the extra 10 speakers. This turned out to be more than I expected. 

Decided to remove all the diffusers from the rear and rely entirely on the ambiance speakers reverbs. Room is now practically very dead sounding after adding acoustics foam to cover the rear completely. Next sample suppose to be with the sides covered but the glue smell is too strong.  It is going few more days for the smell to go. 

First attempt with partial rear without any diffuser. Sennheiser AMBEO binaural recording. It sounds better with headphones. I think the Roland microphones are better.  Will do another comparison with the mics. 

This is a 30 mb file. 

20191213-211722.wav

File info:- 

6063803C-46A5-4235-835C-AE18779D0A70.png

Done full padding of the rear section of the room. The difference can be heard in the clips below but either the Sennheiser mic and iPhone  do some kind of internal EQ and noise cancellation, the difference is not much Can be heard but you can feel the envelopment feel with headphones.  

The Sennheiser seemed do not have any tonal difference between the front and rear sound source. This is understandable considering the microphones are placed almost at the edge of the pinna. With the front and rear sound coming without any distinction in direction, they are hardly useful for 360 degrees recordings. 

Recorded with Voice Record. 

Original sample format is 24/96. I think AS server can take up to 20mb only for WAV files. 

Full 32.1 system.

32speakers.mp3

Just the two main speakers. 
front2speakers only.mp3

Just the 30 ambiance speakers without the front speakers. 

artificial room ambiance only.mp3

EDIT:- looks like these MP3 files too not playable. Unable to download like the rest. I guess Youtube is the best option to share files. 

Done full padding of the rear section of the room. The difference can be heard in the clips below but either the Sennheiser mic and iPhone  do some kind of internal EQ and noise cancellation, the difference is not much Can be heard but you can feel the envelopment feel with headphones.  

The Sennheiser seemed do not have any tonal difference between the front and rear sound source. This is understandable considering the microphones are placed almost at the edge of the pinna. With the front and rear sound coming without any distinction in direction, they are hardly useful for 360 degrees recordings. 

Recorded with Voice Record. 

Original sample format is 24/96. I think AS server can take up to 20mb only for WAV files. 

Full 32.1 system.

32speakers.mp3

Just the two main speakers. 
front2speakers only.mp3

Just the 30 ambiance speakers without the front speakers. 

artificial room ambiance only.mp3

Another fine tuning using Undring 

Full 32.1 system. The microphones is simple incapable of capturing the low deep Organ frequencies. Otherwise, it did give a clean recording although water down a bit when listening with headphones. 

All 32 speakers.mp3

This just the front speakers. The level without ambiance is about 4dB lower. 

front two speakers only.mp3

the sound surround ambiance of 30 speakers. just about 2dB lower than the full 32.1 speakers sound.  Measurement was taken at LP. 

Ambiance only.mp3

p.s. @The Computer Audiophile, Chris, the server is extremely slow and returning 200 error even for files of 20MB. It took awhile to upload one 2MB MP3. Is it AS server related or individual account reaching their quota? thanks. 

46 minutes ago, STC said:

Chris, the server is extremely slow and returning 200 error even for files of 20MB. It took awhile to upload one 2MB MP3. Is it AS server related or individual account reaching their quota? thanks. 

Please try it again. 

I just uploaded the 2MB file instantly. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The decision to remove the diffusers turned out to be the best decision so far to utilize the concert hall impulse response. With the diffusers/ room walls it was difficult to create a large hall feel because early reflections from the small rooms was destroying the delayed reverbs. 

With the addition of acoustic foam to deaden the reflection, now I could tune the speakers to much higher level without any echoes. 

Sorry couldn’t load the hirez files as AS server seemed too slow or returning errors. 

The earlier files in Youtube. 

• 2 weeks later...

Before I could do a proper AB comparison with the acoustics treatment of the rear section and the additions of the 10 additional speakers my motherboard and power supply failed. 

The latest recording with i9-9900K processing the ambiance is here. This is a binaural recording so you have to use headphones. If you prefer loudspeakers then use EQ to do the pinna function correction otherwise it will sound too bright over the speakers. 

The challenge with crosstalk cancellation is to reproduce the bass and soundstage correctly with pan potted stereo recording. 

In 2020, I will concentrate with XTC for speakers placed at 50 to 70 degrees. That’s it for 2019 and Happy New year. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is Ambiophonics setup with artificial ambiance via 30 surround speakers playing No Sanctuary. More info at https://goo.gl/CF1C6B

This was recorded with Sennheiser Ambeo microphones with MetaRecorder App which now captures the low frequencies better. This was recorded in 24/96 format. Not edited in anyway. Use headphones or preferably earbuds for best results. 

More info at https://goo.gl/CF1C6B

This setup is based on Ambiophonics with domestic concert hall concept using additional speakers to reproduce the hall ambiance using impulse responses of St. Cecilia Concert hall. 30 surround speakers produce the ambiance from various angles. 

The YouTube version of the original is here or you can download the free version from 2L website.