IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

I think most if not all ski resorts have been shut down here in the USA. I'm an avid skier and this is always the best time of the year and the family has season passes (we're a forty minute drive from the slopes here in Seattle). I went a couple of days before they closed. Felt a bit sheepish doing it as people lay dying elsewhere. Plus it's not time to be doing risky activities as the hospitals don't want/need you there. Saw a skier have to get hauled off the mountain that day by ambulance. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 3 months later...

I briefly tried BJC Cat 6a vs my Ghent JSSG Catsnake on the last leg to the streamer. Preferred the Catsnake, though the differences are subtle. Will continue to use BJC 6a for the rest of the chain. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, thyname said:

Unfortunately Roon forum is dominated by a handful of people who believe NOTHING can improve anything. It’s not worth engaging, as they will pile on you as a bunch of hyenas. 

Yep, been there, done that along with thyname. Definitely reminiscent of a certain political party in their stubbornness. 

11 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

Based on the discussion immediately above, I think I might have an answer to the question I am posing below, but just to be sure here goes.

I just bought and will soon receive both an EtherREGEN and an opticalRendu Lite (Roon only). The latter is part of Small Green Computer's "bundle" that includes a media converter, a 1-meter length of fiber optical cable, and two SFP modules (one for the Rendu, one for the media converter), as well as a power supply ... it's quite a bargain IMHO. 

I currently have an inexpensive, $20 T-P Link gigabit switch in my computer room, into which are plugged a router, a SonicOrbiter server, and a 30-foot  standard-issue CAT6A Ethernet cable that runs from the switch in my computer room through the walls to my listening room. Only my stereo equipment is hardwired to the network. Everything else internet-connected in my house is on WiFi and seems to be doing fine that way.

So here's my question. I can see three ways to configure the new equipment, two of which utilize my existing switch and one of which does not. Which option should I use, and why?

Option 1 (Use Existing Switch and Media Converter): In my computer room, connect the EtherREGEN "A" side to my existing switch and connect the 30-foot CAT6A cable to the "B" side of the EtherREGEN. In my listening room, connect the other end of the CAT6A cable into the media converter. Connect the 1-meter length of fiber optical cable to the optical output of the media converter and the input of the opticalRendu. Connect the Rendu to my DAC over USB.

Option 2 (Remove Existing Switch; Use Media Converter): In my computer room, replace my existing switch with the EtherREGEN, connecting my internet router and SonicOrbiter server to the "A" side of the EtherREGEN and the 30-foot CAT6A to the "B" side of the EtherREGEN. In my listening room, set up the same as in Option 1.

Option 3: (Use Existing Switch; use EtherREGEN instead of Media Converter): In my computer room, leave the equipment set up "As-Is" (i.e., router, SonicOrbiter, and 30-foot run of CAT6A connected to my existing switch). In my listening room, connect the other end of the 30-foot CAT6A to the "B" side of the EtherREGEN. Connect the 1-meter length of fiber optical cable to the optical output on the "A" side of the EtherREGEN and to the opticalRendu. Connect the Rendu to my DAC over USB.

Please note that I am assuming I will continue using the 30-foot run of CAT6A to connect the two rooms. If there is a reason for replacing the CAT6A with fiber optic cable, I am open to the suggestion ... just tell me why, because running the cable through the walls of my old house was a pain in the rear, and although I know theoretically I could tie or tape one end of a fiber optic cable to my existing CAT6A and try to pull it through that way, there are bumps and obstacles in the walls that could make that an additional pain in the rear.

And ... THANKS!!!

Option 3. But here's an idea: get a bit better switch in the computer room, one that has a fiber out on it, and then go fiber out of the switch to the 10GTek, 30 ft of ethernet to etherRegen, and then optical to the oR. Pretty much what I'm doing now, except with two opticalModules. That way you would have two complete optical bridges on either side of that 30 ft run. Another thing that makes a big difference is iFi AC iPurifier(s) in the computer room. I'm using two and it cleaned up a lot of 'glare.' 

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, jomsjoms said:

I plan to get a switch with SFP too to connect to my etherregen. However, when i read the manual, it says the SFP ports are for "uplink". Does this mean that it can only connect to another switch and not the etherregen if the SFP is for "uplink" ? 

Nope, not typically. I have the 'uplink' fiber outs on my Cisco 2960-16PS going to a pair of opticalModules from one, and a GTek FMC for the office hifi on another. With older 10/100 Cisco's at least, the ethernet uplink is 1000 and could be used as such to or from anything. If using a fiber uplink, be sure to have the same spec SFP's on both ends. 

• 1 month later...

On the etherRegen, can I go into the B side 10/100 port (fed from a Cisco 2960 1gb) and then out the A side SFP and 1000 ports?

The SFP to an opticalRendu,  RJ45 to an opticalModule pair, the ROON NUC in on another.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

@mfsoa No mention of Roon anywhere on the Uptone etherRegen page (checking as I'm considering buying one and also a Roon lifetime user) and my reading skills are just fine. I think @thyname owes you an apology - if he can pull himself out from under the bridge. 

13 minutes ago, PYP said:

@charlesphoto you do have 30 days to try it in your particular network.   I've been using Roon with the an etherREGEN since 11/2019 (subsequently added another) with no issues.    Irrespective of Roon, it is interesting the wide variety of systems (worldwide, it seems) that have been improved by this little box.  Worth checking out.  

Yes, just been dragging my feet and then when I almost pulled the plug a couple of months ago they were out of stock. I've been running a pair of opticalModules since they were released so I am a believer in network tweaking. Just not sure how much better the eR will be than the oMs but like you say I've got thirty days to find out. 

12 minutes ago, Mat said:

I can not get the sonore optical module/ another etherregen, as i can not purchase on the web.

I will try to find microtik /Cisco , and finisar in my country.

Thanks for the help.

If you go the Cisco route, be sure to get SFP module(s) that are 'coded' to work in Cisco's. Mikrotik or eR you don't have those limitations (but have to be same mode as the other end). Might be hard to find 1421's for the Cisco.