IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

I've read several posts where a quite a few pieces of hardware are connected to the system between the music source and the DAC. Some are connected before the Ether Regen and some after the ER?  

It seems to me that the sonic benefits from the Ether Regen are derived from reducing the noise floor of incoming noise carried on the ethernet cable.  (I'm ignorant about what the clock does) Could adding more hardware with its accompanying electrical power supplies between the ER and the DAC introduce another source of contamination, thus defeating the benefits of the ER?.   

BTW, I should note that in addition to the amazing increase in SQ from the ER, I also heard an improvement from the ER when I replaced a generic ethernet cable on the 'B' side of the ER with a better quality ethernet cable (1 meter of Cable Matters SFTP Cat8 Ethernet Cable). Thanks to the Uptone community for that Amazon recommendation.

• 1 year later...
On 5/23/2021 at 9:47 PM, rsctyslkr said:
This could be the shortest review ever ... The EtherRegen improved every aspect of my digital playback system. I was willing to pay $2,500 for this improvement and the only "tweak" that rivals it is when I added a PS Audio P15 Powerplant that cost me $6,000.

For those who need more. I read the reviews, mostly extremely positive and adjusted my expectations down because, after all, I had already paid so much attention on my system. Well, I wish I had a photo from when I played the first song, strike that, the first note of the first song, a guitar strum with enhanced clarity, depth, texture and less glaze. One note was all it took. Since then, two weeks in, I have enjoyed becoming more intimately acquainted with my collection. It has improved micro and macro dynamics, sense of air, instrumental separation, soundstage width and depth. My first thought was ... hmmm cleaner sound, but also more texture. You cannot lose. 

Ditto for me. I've owned one for over a year. I too, added a PS Audio PowerPlant to my system. It resulted in a surprising and significant improvement, but no more so than the EtherRegen.

On a sidebar, I just dropped in on the Uptone forum to check on what's been going on (I don't participate very often), and I noticed lots of talk about adding an inexpensive clock to the ER for improved SQ. It seems like dedicated followers are doing everything possible to squeeze the last ounce of performance out ot the ER.  It made me aware that Superdad could take advantage of this obsessiveness by announcing a new extreme upgraded "super version" of the ER that would be little more than smoke and mirrors, but I haven't noticed anything like that from Superdad. So is this guy a "super version" of an ethical merchant?       

2 minutes ago, MartinT said:

I don't know why you say that, there are plenty of members who have added an external clock to the ER and heard the improvement, which is neither subtle nor unethical.

I don't think I impled either of those things.  I was just stating that the interest in finding improvements for the ER is extremely strong. I'm considering adding a clock as well, but I'm happy with the ER as-is, and I've been too lazy to put in the effort to do the research on this subject.  

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Most of the LT3045/LT3042s have 0.8 volts across them. The core voltages (1.1V) have 0.9V. This is a very careful engineering tradeoff, this was as high as I could go and live within the thermal constraints. I have to prevent the chips from getting too close to their upper die temperature (you never run right at it, you need a significant buffer there) AND I needed to cut down on the total power drawn, we had some hard limits as to total feed power to the sections of the board. The values chosen just meet the thermal constraints while giving quite good performance, I would not call what we achieved "bad", maybe not quite the best possible, but any real design is never about getting one parameter the best it is theoretically possible to get and letting others fall by the wayside. It is always a complex set of tradeoffs optimizing the best overall device within the constraints.

We could run the regulators with 3V across each one, but then it would be a much larger board and cost at least 3 times as much and draw 2.5 times the power. Because the board is bigger chips are further apart from each other which could actually wind up with worse electrical performance. I made the decision that this was NOT a good tradeoff.

John S.

"but then it would be a much larger board and cost at least 3 times as much"

Does this statement suggest that it might be possible to build a better ER on a larger board? I'd be interested in paying more for an upgraded ER 2.0. 

• 2 months later...