IGNORED

Longest USB cable length to DAC for audio?

3 hours ago, esldude said:

For the most part the USB cable matters somewhere between not at all, to an amount you might measure, but will never hear.  (as long as don't use cheaper Schiit DACs).  

33 pages in this thread more than suggests otherwise.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/49648-lush2-share-your-configuration-experiences/

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 2 years later...

Although this topic is somewhat old, I just received an email from Simaudio (Montreal) stating that my 16' USB cable is too long for use with their Moon 100D USB DAC:

USB audio should never be transmitted over more than 1 meter (3 1/4 feet). Your 16' cable is fine for transmitting data to a printer. But you should never use that with audio equipment.

BACKGROUND: The 100D suddenly failed, and I had sent the unit to Simaudio for repair. While waiting for the repair, I decided to purchase Schiit Audio's True Multibit DAC for use with my Jotunheim -- then the Multibit, too, failed suddenly. Not truly knowing the exact cause of the Multibit's death, I further raised the question of "static discharge" via the cable with Simaudio (who still had my unit in their repair shop). The above was their response, as part of their confirmation that static electricity was certainly the culprit.

Can anyone confirm the validity of Simaudio's statement?

I have myself built products wherein product testing included zapping the device with a rather expensive test tool that generated very high static voltages. The product didn't ship until we had devised adequate shielding and grounding.

6 hours ago, epping4est said:

USB audio should never be transmitted over more than 1 meter (3 1/4 feet). Your 16' cable is fine for transmitting data to a printer. But you should never use that with audio equipment.

I have a 10meter Corning USB cable (mentioned earlier) which I use for particular situations and it has always worked without causing any audible or electrical issues.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 2 weeks later...

Test components:

Apple MacBook Air M1 

Benchmark Dac 3

Cables that worked for me:

25' USB C Printer Cable, GOSYSONG 25FT USB Printer Cord 2.0 Type C Male to B Male Cable 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0958FJWS3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

15' USB Extension Cable USB 3.0 Extension Cord Type A Male to Female ITD ITANDA connected to the cable that came with the Dac3

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QRP6CGF/ref=twister_B09L89GBTC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Some other cables that I have tried produced popping sounds, as experienced with vinyl records, during playback.