IGNORED

Which DAC to buy for my AudioEngine A5+?

1 hour ago, ahmed98 said:

They are releasing a newer version in august yeah?

That's what they were announcing in May in their forum and what they wrote as well in response to my mail beginning of June. I have requested more precise information this week, unfortunately I still wait for a detailed answer.

1 hour ago, ahmed98 said:

Also is this a better option than the FiiO K3 or the SMSL M6 or the Topping D50

I haven't heard these units, but in my system the KTBD does sound better (clearer, more pronounced, better detail & separation) than the AQ DF Red and the Topping NX4, which sports the same DAC/XMOS configuration as the Khadas.

It does not best my ifi iDSD BL, but at a 5th of the price it plays clearly above price point.

There are some unresolved issues such as hardware volume control with Windows and DSD above DSD64 under Linux, but I am under impression they are working on it. DSD256 under Windows works well, but the output is @ 100% volume, so some volume control between your ears and the DAC are recommended from my side.

I use LMS on RPI2&3b, and with alsa I have software volume control working, just upto DSD64. I'll check over the weekend if DSD256 will work native with Android and USB Audioplayer pro and report back next week.

Bon week-end, Ahmed

bg Tom

Ahmed,

Which is the operating system and the audio software of choice in your setup?

Which type of DSD files you are listening to? Is it DoP or native?

USB Audio Player Pro & Hiby under Android 8.1 do not support hardware volume control for DSD with the KTBD upgraded to the newest firmware. For DSD native.

Best, Tom

35 minutes ago, ahmed98 said:

Sir I have my speakers plugged to the default sound card of my pc for the time being and I listen to FLAC tracks on Foobar. My PC os is Win 7.  Sometimes stream HiRes tracks from my phone via bluetooth however SQ is not reaching it's potential due to the hardware of the PC and the cheap bluetooth adapter

Thank you, Ahmed.

When I return home tomorrow, I'll test the setup with foobar 2k. I suppose you have installed the Super Audio CD Decoder input plugin for foobar2000?

Best, Tom

4 hours ago, ahmed98 said:

Thank you Tom! I have the classic A5+ speakers and its a living room environment with my desktop PC. Currently aiming for the Topping D50 or the Schiit product. Once again, thanks for all the help! ☺️🙏🏼

You are welcome,  Ahmed!

I think you could nothing wrong with the D50, as it tick all your boxes, and over at ASR it is assumed as a very good unit, AFAIR.

The price of 180 USD would leave you with the option to use a dedicated music server/player  as the Pi3+ bundles are now less than 50 USD with case, power supply and SD card included.

Upgrade path for the future could be: Different case, power hat, use of an iFi power supply and an USB-WiFi receiver for de-activating the internal Wifi and bluetooth units. (between 10 and 50 USD per option. I can confirm, that ther was a significant audible improvement from cancelling RMI/EFI noise in my speakers using the iFi power supply for the RPI.

An important quote from the volumio website about the performance testing on the Pi3b+:
" Luckily though, I then tried to play the same files from a USB drive (and not from a NAS), and magic happened: spotless playback up to 32\768. Seemed that taking ethernet (I was connected on wired connection) out of the equation did the trick. So connected the PI via wifi and restarted without ethernet: same result, HI-Res Music playback was just perfect to my USB DAC.

So, it seems that there is still some issue (hopefully it’s driver related) to the Ethernet controller, which seems to give up lots of packets in high-bandwidth situations. I am however pretty confident that the foundation will solve this issue, as it’s not uncommon that hardware performances get dramatic improvements as software gets tuned up after community feedbacks.

The good news is that there are actually tangible improvements on USB throughput, as I did not experience a single glitch with a great variety of files: 16\44.1,24\96,32\768 flac, DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 and 8X MQA (this is an extremely meaningful test, since if even a single packet is lost the MQA decoding would stop)."

The all new RPi 4 with case, card and PS would come about 40 USD more expensive, but is not yet directly available, though it could be still in your limit. I would guess, that with the new USB architecture the performance regarding USB throughput for DSD maý be enhanced. I'd regard that as another upgrade path for the future, based on sufficent testing reports.

You will most certainly profit from substantial lower noise floor in your listening environment if the source of your music is disconnected from your PC, and the PC is shutdown. For critical listening, for example,  I'll try to close down anything that enhances the noise floor in my office, this is why the Pi's with a USB stick or USB HD come in so handy.

Best regards, Tom