IGNORED

Replacement for Airport Express to Stream Music From Mac

Hello,

Years ago I set up my entire house with a series of Apple Airport Express devices (connect to five separate stereos).  Slowly the Airport Express devices are wearing out and of course Apple no longer makes them.  I have updated them all to the firmware that came out last August, but a couple of them still are not working.  None of my speakers have Airplay built in and I really don't want to replace any of them anyway.

So my question is this:  Can anyone recommend an alternative (Airplay receiving) device that I can use to stream music from my Mac to my speakers?  

Thanks,

Eric

A lot depends upon the budget you want to spend, and if you wish to stay with Airplay or move to a different platform.  

For the most direct replacements, I recommend a cheap PC Stick computer, and installing Shairport, which is freeware. End result?  It looks like a Airport Express and costs about the same. 

For better sound, there are dozens of different endpoints that will support Airplay. The official Apple List is a good place to start, but there are lots of devices not listed there.  https://www.apple.com/ios/home/accessories/#section-receiver

I prefer Roon myself these days, as it works on just about everthing. It is a tad expensive, but you can get quite a bit better sound out of some the Roon ready devices. 

https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

I think if you tell us a bit more about what you want, more detailed suggestions can be forthcoming ;)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

16 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Do you have them set up as routers or targets?

Targets ... I think.  They are no longer part of my home wireless network ... their sole purpose is to receive music wirelessly (or over ethernet in some cases).

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

another option is an Apple TV3

I bought a refurb with warranty from Apple's used store for $40 - it won't handle hiRes but is fine with Redbook/CD formats

Got it.  I have a couple of those lying around somewhere.  Thanks.