Eric KC

Replacement for Airport Express to Stream Music From Mac

Hello,

Years ago I set up my entire house with a series of Apple Airport Express devices (connect to five separate stereos).  Slowly the Airport Express devices are wearing out and of course Apple no longer makes them.  I have updated them all to the firmware that came out last August, but a couple of them still are not working.  None of my speakers have Airplay built in and I really don't want to replace any of them anyway.

So my question is this:  Can anyone recommend an alternative (Airplay receiving) device that I can use to stream music from my Mac to my speakers?  

Thanks,

Eric

A lot depends upon the budget you want to spend, and if you wish to stay with Airplay or move to a different platform.  

For the most direct replacements, I recommend a cheap PC Stick computer, and installing Shairport, which is freeware. End result?  It looks like a Airport Express and costs about the same. 

For better sound, there are dozens of different endpoints that will support Airplay. The official Apple List is a good place to start, but there are lots of devices not listed there.  https://www.apple.com/ios/home/accessories/#section-receiver

I prefer Roon myself these days, as it works on just about everthing. It is a tad expensive, but you can get quite a bit better sound out of some the Roon ready devices. 

https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

I think if you tell us a bit more about what you want, more detailed suggestions can be forthcoming ;)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

another option is an Apple TV3

I bought a refurb with warranty from Apple's used store for $40 - it won't handle hiRes but is fine with Redbook/CD formats

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

16 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Do you have them set up as routers or targets?

Targets ... I think.  They are no longer part of my home wireless network ... their sole purpose is to receive music wirelessly (or over ethernet in some cases).

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

another option is an Apple TV3

I bought a refurb with warranty from Apple's used store for $40 - it won't handle hiRes but is fine with Redbook/CD formats

Got it.  I have a couple of those lying around somewhere.  Thanks.