IGNORED

The Environmental thread + Conventional (HI-FI) wisdom is almost always invariably wrong

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 10:40 AM, semente said:

The Environmental impact of Covid:

960x0.gif?fit=scale

On 5/9/2020 at 9:53 PM, elcorso said:

And this from China:

china_trop_2020056.png.e2a56112faa1b033b7f503cb49612dc2.png

Roch

On 5/9/2020 at 10:02 PM, elcorso said:

Some other locations:

EVjLS3EWsAYhh1_.thumb.jpg.a9d28f5e75245ed20a51896b6f9ce72f.jpg

Roch

On 5/10/2020 at 2:04 PM, sphinxsix said:

I had been highly impressed when I saw this for the first time.

One more.

Data from the Ozone Monitoring Instrument on NASA's Aura satellite shows less air pollution over the Northeast United States in March 2020 compared to average values for the month of March between 2015 and 2019.

However impressive these graphs may look, according to a study published in Nature Climate Change, CO2 emissions had fallen only by 17% on average by early April. According to experts it's just meaningless..

Fall in global carbon emissions

Fall in emissions during coronavirus is no cause for celebration

On 5/11/2020 at 7:38 PM, sphinxsix said:

I'm afraid that the things like leaving minimal individual carbon footprint may not and actually will not be enough if we don't put a pressure on those of our leaders who don't understand.

Dismantling environmental protections under cover of coronavirus.

OTOH some good news from the other side of the Atlantic - the European Commission has increased five-fold in comparison to its January proposal the proposed European Union fund to wean carbon-intensive regions off fossil fuels, with fresh cash from a new recovery fund to help Europe’s ailing economies rebound after the new coronavirus pandemic.

EU pledges 40 billion euros for 'just transition' from fossil fuels

BTW seems that currently the United States (responsible for ca 15% of global CO2 emissions) is the only country in the world  to pull out of the Paris climate agreement and thus the States will eventually join the company of countries like Iran (1.66%), Turkey (1.04%) and Iraq (0.48%) that have not yet ratified the agreement.  

I'd really love America to be first but in some different way.. :S

Some more good news from EU.

EU pledges coronavirus recovery plan will not harm climate goals

On 5/13/2020 at 1:49 PM, semente said:

Unless we change the paradigm of infinite growth and consumerist lifestyle and making the top 1% richer there's no way we'll ever make it.

I must admit that IMO also making 10% of all the countries richer and thus further away from the so called '3rd' world may and probably will not work. Maybe what the coronavirus crises should have showed us is the fact that we live in a world that is so interconnected and so interdependent that thinking in terms of 'us' and 'them' simply may not work anymore :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2020 at 7:04 PM, Summit said:

Environmental regulations in Egypt is lacking big time. A new bridge in Giza, Egypt, has upset people in the area. The bridge runs so close to the residential buildings that residents will be able to walk from their balconies to the bridge.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/utrikes/har-ar-bron-som-nastan-snuddar-husen

This looks really sick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Summit said:

Despite all the talk about the importance of a green transition in the economy, at least $ 151 billion has been invested in fossil fuels during the corona pandemic. Only $88.63 billion supporting clean energy.

https://www.energypolicytracker.org/region/g20/

But fortunately it seems there are some who begin to treat the environmental problems with the seriousness they deserve. 

3 unexpected ways to tackle climate change

I personally have signed a petition demanding a green covid recovery plan which has to be presented to the participants of the November G20 summit but I'm afraid that in case of the climate crisis 'clicktivism' may not be enough..

7 hours ago, John Dyson said:

What kind of regulation is in place for this more terrible, immediate threat to humanity (and potentially many mammal species?)  What kind of international tribunal for the intentional repression of warnings to the rest of the world?

These are actually the questions I've been asking myself recently.

IMO this may be really the high time for us to shift from the 'us and (or even vs) them' perspective towards more let's say 'we are one world' perspective, no matter how idealistically and utopian this might sound. In general I would probably be in favour of finding some balance between exerting political and economic pressure on the countries which could afford switching to clean energy but don't want to do that and helping (loans, grants) the countries which really can't afford it. We should be aware that in the later case we would be in fact helping ourselves or in the other words - saving our own a.. 

BTW I must admit I was reading this, this morning with my eyes really wide open.

Green New Deal in all but name.

@John Dyson Sorry, I actually didn't answer your questions, I can only say that IMO also in this case we need an international, world wide cooperation, I'm not an expert on that topic (nor any other that is discussed here for that matter), I can only suggest checking out e.g. the first link from this post:

1 hour ago, John Dyson said:

Perhaps this time, we have purposeful malfeasance in the mix

I very much doubt it.

Unfortunately, we are headed for a cold cycle in world temperatures

I don't think so. At least not in the time perspective we should be really interested in right now.

what is the correct management solution, when short term there might be a heating issue?

Let me ask a different question - what if short term is all we have and possible consequences of 'incorrect management' could much worse than what's going on now around the world in connection with the pandemic.?

BTW this may be some good news:

Oxford coronavirus vaccine triggers immune response, trial shows. Early results also indicate vaccine is safe.

Trials involving 1,077 people showed the vaccine injection led to them making antibodies and T-cells that can fight coronavirus.

@John Dyson I'm sure China can be blamed for some cover ups in particular during the initial stages of the pandemic. At the same time it can not eclipse the fact that in many countries (IMO also in the US) dealing with the disease was and in many cases still is very incompetent and political goals proved to be more important than people's health and lives.

I think I will stop here. 

Greta Thunberg and some of the world’s leading climate scientists have written to EU leaders demanding they act immediately to avoid the worst impacts of the unfolding climate and ecological emergency.

The letter, which was sent before a European council meeting, says the Covid-19 pandemic has shown that most leaders are able to act swiftly and decisively, but the same urgency had been missing in politicians’ response to the climate crisis.

It has been signed by 80,000 people including some of the world’s leading scientists.

Thunberg and other leaders of the school strikes movement across Europe said the €750bn EU Covid recovery plan was inadequate.

Greta Thunberg says EU recovery plan fails to tackle climate crisis.

On 7/24/2020 at 12:23 AM, John Dyson said:

Deforestation or not,

Even if some studies on the influence of deforestation on spreading animals derived diseases were some exaggeration, this would be something I personally call a 'good lie'.

Think of the world as of a smoker who smokes more and more while his lungs volume decreases with each day.