IGNORED

HQPlayer 4 stuttering

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to HQPlayer 4 Desktop with a new Gustard U16. I am having issues with stuttering and sluggish response. I am using Windows 10 Pro on an Intel i7 NUC, USB connection to the Gustard U16, which is running v1.4 firmware, connected via AES to a Topping DX7s DAC. I am running HQPlayer 4 Desktop+Roon. I have the buffer set to max in HQPlayer 4. I am trying to upsample to DSD64 when the stuttering occurs. Any suggestions on how to get normal playback?

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Can you email me a log file from both versions, from 3 that is working and 4 that is not working? Same machine, same settings otherwise.

Where do I go to get the log files?

5 hours ago, anroj said:

Where do I go to get the log files?

This is documented in "Troubleshooting" section of the manual...

But enable log file in both, restart the application, reproduce the success/failure, and check out the log file from %LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer folder. Version 3 log is called HQPlayer.log and version 4 log is called HQPlayer4Desktop.log

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 hours ago, Miska said:

This is documented in "Troubleshooting" section of the manual...

But enable log file in both, restart the application, reproduce the success/failure, and check out the log file from %LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer folder. Version 3 log is called HQPlayer.log and version 4 log is called HQPlayer4Desktop.log

I restarted HQPlayer V3 and V4 and don't see the log file locations you said to look for.996685575_HQPlayerLogs.JPG.6882dd1d0691a3e940936886b949112f.JPG

39 minutes ago, semente said:

Perhaps "Auto Rate Family" is enabled on v4.

"Auto Rate Family" is enabled on v4. It does not make a difference in 48kHz-based files whether it's enabled or not. I get stuttering both ways.

5 hours ago, anroj said:

Logging enabled. Here is a link to the log files: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Arb88dOQEXsygr1553wlxQ_yeYVV6g. This issue only seems to occur in 48kHz-based music files. Everything else plays fine.

These two cases are using different filters. v3 one is using poly-sinc-ext2 and the v4 one closed-form-16M...

Just now, Miska said:

These two cases are using different filters. v3 one is using poly-sinc-ext2 and the v4 one closed-form-16M...

I will set to the same filters between the two and resend the logs.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

OK, if one of these two stutters and the other one doesn't, I don't know why. Couldn't spot any hints in the log...

Thanks for looking into it. I was actually able to get stutter-free playback by checking "Auto Rate Family." Weird that that worked.

28 minutes ago, anroj said:

Thanks for looking into it. I was actually able to get stutter-free playback by checking "Auto Rate Family." Weird that that worked.

Converting from 44.1k to 48k-family DSD with single-stage filters is notably heavy, compared to (luckily more common) for example 48k to 44.1k-family DSD. Conversion within same family is always lightest, but many DACs don't support 48k-base DSD, so one cannot count on that.

34 minutes ago, Miska said:

Converting from 44.1k to 48k-family DSD with single-stage filters is notably heavy, compared to (luckily more common) for example 48k to 44.1k-family DSD. Conversion within same family is always lightest, but many DACs don't support 48k-base DSD, so one cannot count on that.

I think my Topping DX7s is one of those DACs that doesn't support 48k-based DSD. I am ordering an Audio-GD R8, which supports both  44.1k and 48k families.

Miska,

Are you using the Holo Audio Spring DAC? Maybe you can recommend me settings.

I have stuttering only when extrapolating to DSD 512. My CPU can handle the performance (Intel Core i5-8400T 6x1.7 GHz, 8 GB Ram). The utilization is about 50%.

I'am using the Armature Asterion Holo Spring DAC. It's similar to Level 1.

DSD 256 sounds great with HQPlayer! 😀

3 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Are you using the Holo Audio Spring DAC? Maybe you can recommend me settings.

I have stuttering only when extrapolating to DSD 512. My CPU can handle the performance (Intel Core i5-8400T 6x1.7 GHz, 8 GB Ram). The utilization is about 50%.

I'am using the Armature Asterion Holo Spring DAC. It's similar to Level 1.

DSD 256 sounds great with HQPlayer! 😀

Yes, I have both Spring 1 and Spring 2 (in addition to Cyan DSD too). These are among my most used DACs.

Which filter are you using? You should get DSD512 fine with any of the -2s filters with that CPU.

Also, which backend and OS are you using? If you use Windows with ASIO, in HQPlayer select "Default" as "Buffer Time" and then in the driver's control panel select largest buffer possible.

If you are on Linux, select 100 ms Buffer Time.

I'am using:

Controll PC: Win Server 2019 with Roon

Audio PC: Win 10 Pro with AO 2.20 & Fidelizer 8.4 Pro & HQPlayer 3

Settings DSD 256 wonderful Sound:

652169228_Bildschirmfoto2019-05-06um12_43_16.thumb.png.2bba7db11df4ff029b2c21d78a0463ca.png

Settings DSD 512 with stuttering:

46722599_Bildschirmfoto2019-05-06um12_45_42.thumb.png.a855a66eb6b62f18029a9bc9b08c9065.png

11 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

I'am using:

Controll PC: Win Server 2019 with Roon

Audio PC: Win 10 Pro with AO 2.20 & Fidelizer 8.4 Pro & HQPlayer 3

Settings DSD 256 wonderful Sound:

652169228_Bildschirmfoto2019-05-06um12_43_16.thumb.png.2bba7db11df4ff029b2c21d78a0463ca.png

Settings DSD 512 with stuttering:

46722599_Bildschirmfoto2019-05-06um12_45_42.thumb.png.a855a66eb6b62f18029a9bc9b08c9065.png

How is your "Multicore DSP" setting in HQPlayer?