IGNORED

HQPlayer 4 stuttering

19 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

"Multicore-DSP" is activated. On CPU i don't using Hyperthreading. 😉1195250539_Bildschirmfoto2019-05-06um13_24_22.thumb.png.7d0c983331eb4e2c320fe06a53576138.png

Looks OK, although I would recommend also trying to set it to grayed (auto) - this results in different load distribution. Can you also check from log file if correct number of CPU cores is detected?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

41 minutes ago, Miska said:

Looks OK, although I would recommend also trying to set it to grayed (auto) - this results in different load distribution. Can you also check from log file if correct number of CPU cores is detected?

I switched on the Log file on settings. I didn't find the Log file, only settings.xml and current.m3u8.

But I got an error: Offload667006813_Bildschirmfoto2019-05-06um14_28_31.thumb.png.a1bacfc226e0d442ba4e90fe137c7f74.png

Is this the Problem?

Thanks!

Log file looks OK.

Did you try with "Multicore DSP" set to grayed "auto" vs checked "enabled"? Did it make any difference?

Could you also try with DSD5 modulator and compare if that makes a difference.

My suspicion is that if you open Task Manager -> Resource monitor, two of the cores are pretty close to 100% for DSD512 case.

Thanks for good Suporting. 😊

But nothing changed:

Did you try with "Multicore DSP" set to grayed "auto" vs checked "enabled"? Yes

Did it make any difference? No

Could you also try with DSD5 modulator and compare if that makes a difference. CPU was a little bit less (45%), but no difference

It doesn't matter because DSD 256 is working very well. Maybe it's better not to run the DAC and the CPU at full load.

In a few weeks I will get to test the brand new T + A SD 3100 HV. At least I would like to achieve DSD 512 without any problems. Maybe DSD 1024?

5 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

It doesn't matter because DSD 256 is working very well. Maybe it's better not to run the DAC and the CPU at full load.

In a few weeks I will get to test the brand new T + A SD 3100 HV. At least I would like to achieve DSD 512 without any problems. Maybe DSD 1024?

OK, looking in more detail I can see few potential problems. For reference, smallest CPU I'm using to do DSD512 is i5-7600T (with HQPlayer Embedded on Linux though). But that one does it happily. One notable difference between your i5-8400T and my i5-7600T is that 8400T has 1.7 GHz base clock while 7600T has 2.8 GHz. Another concern emphasizing this difference is that in your screen shots I see the CPU running at max base clock speed, but not over, so for some reason Turbo Boost is not coming active at all, even though I suspect cores being unevenly loaded (you can check the per-core load graphs from Resource Monitor). This makes a difference for the parts of code that cannot be parallelized to multiple cores.

Can you look into why Turbo Boost is not becoming active? And please also check that you have "High Performance" power profile selected in Windows.

DSD1024 is very demanding. I have it just barely working on my i7-7700K + RTX2080 combo, and it is fully reliable only with DSD5 modulator. Every time you double the sampling rate, the CPU load roughly doubles.

Miska, that was the solution!

I followed some of the recommendations in the manual from Audiophil Optimizer (AO). Among other things, I had disabled Intel SpeedStep and Turbo Mode. But for DSD, these settings are important! 

spacer.png

Now CPU speed is 3 GHz instead of 1.7 GHz. DSD 512 now runs smoothly and without dropouts. CPU load is between 60% -70% depending on the source material. It sounds great. Thank you for informations.