IGNORED

Newbie Router/Switch Question

After many years using an Auralic Aries streamer, I am eagerly awaiting an OpticalRendu from Sonore.  Since it is April and shipping is imminent I am starting to think through my network in preparation of its arrival.

Current Configurations:

Cable Modem => Router/Switch => NAS, Smallgreencomputer i5 and Aries connected to switch via CAT6 and CAT7 cables.   All components connected direct to router via it's integrated switch.  

I bought the switch package (to gain optical connection) from Sonore that includes 1m length of fiber cable.  This would dictate that the switch goes near my audio components.  Currently the NAS and i5 are near Router and the Aries is 20-30' away in my audio rack.  My USB cables are all about a meter long and the OpticalRendu needs to be that close to my DAC.  

Here's the question(s) - Do I leave the NAS and i5 30' away and put this additional switch between them and the Rendu or do I move either or both onto the new switch that will be now in my listening space?  Mind you I am adding a switch no matter what, so it is just a guess as to whether there will be denigration of SQ if I leave them on separate switches.  Perhaps this is just a try both approach, but I would like to hear anyone's advise that has been down this path.  I do realize I can get a longer fiber cable to put the switch next to my router...but it's not where I intend to start unless there is overwhelming support for that.  

Thank you

Well the response has been overwhelming...hehehe.  Let me try a different question:

How do you configure your network for NAS, Streamer, Server?  Do you keep them on the same switch?  Does it matter at all in anyone's experience?  I imagine there are super exotic ways to go, but in a simple configuration is there a best practice or no difference between all on one switch or keeping components on different switches?  

Sorry, you are sitting over here in silence.  There has been a lot of shouting elsewhere.  

In my system, I have left the server and the NAS in the basement and only my NUC endpoint with a TLS switch is in the stereo system.  I think that there are a lot of ways to start but keeping it simple like you are talking is good.  

some principles:

1. routers need not be "audiophile" to work well and give you xlnt SQ

2. noise concerns can be an issue:

2a. noise attenuates with distance

2b. optical fiber solves all your problems with noise behind the fiber

2c. Wifi may not have adequate bitrates for some formats, but also solves the noise issue as per above

Since you are already talking about fiber, you can ignore 2c but I put it in for others reading this

Think about the clean side of your install... after the optical fiber.  How could any noise generated by a power supply, etc. reach your DAC?  Same for any noise on the AC line...

I don't see any particular reason to put the switch next to my router - why would you want to?

The separation of the network from the endpoint seems to me to be the most important.  

I have now setup my system where there is a main switch for the whole house and there are fiber optic (SFP) ports on that switch. One of those ports goes to my server.  The server then bridges that network and another fiber optic cable goes to my main endpoint.  

I need to create diagrams but have not found that round-to-it yet.

Another issue to consider besides bandwidth is latency.  I'd avoid wifi and unnecessary extra switch hops to keep end to end latency as low as possible.  Wifi has great bandwidth, but that bandwidth is variable and dependent on RF noise levels, line of sight, etc.  Then you have to consider how data gets encapsulated/framed/encrypted, etc.  The extra overhead of encryption with wifi doesn't make sense here, it's just added latency for no benefit.  You can optimize wifi if you have to, like if you don't own the property and can't run wires through walls but it isn't ideal.

I use WiFi and have never had any problems with it.  But I use it for Redbook - if HiRes is going to be used (or you are stuck in a NYC apt. warren while some knucklehead is having a swimming pool dug in their brownstone next door...) then there can be problems.