IGNORED

Computer Storage - Best Practices

31 minutes ago, sandyk said:

At the dawn of the CD age, many Audiophiles sought out the original Japan and West Germany pressed CDs, because they sounded much better than the multi generational  copies of the Masters used by the local CD manufacturers , DESPITE having the same data in most cases .

Even in the USA , certain pressing plants were preferred by discerning Recording and Mastering Engineers because their pressings simply sounded better !

Fortunately, as Barry Diament has said, these differences disappear once the CDs have been ripped to disc:

Whether commercial CD, “special” material or process CD or a fine CD-R, my experience has consistently been that extraction to computer and playback from there (as a raw PCM file in .aif or .wav format) gets me the true sound of the master.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

22 minutes ago, STC said:

No dispute there. I agree. I remember there was another thread started by @manisandher after @mansr visit to his place. Did we even have a conclusion to that? 

I don't think so.

This, of course, the best possible outcome as it allows everyone to continue to believe what they want. 👺

5 hours ago, manisandher said:

As for an explanation... Well, I suspect it is due to different noise profiles entering the DAC, 'on the back of' the digital signal. These different noise profiles then affect the DAC ever-so-slightly differently, at the point of digital-to-analogue conversion. No d-to-a conversion, absolutely no problem.

I can see this as a plausible explanation.

I would also like to highlight that this is completely different from what Alex is claiming  (identical files played under identical conditions sounding different on a consistent basis). 

26 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Wake up !

IF the saved files were identical then they would sound identical. Clearly there ARE differences that the Checksums and other Binary checks are presently incapable of showing.

It has already been recently demonstrated that even .md5 checksums  can be fooled.

I was referring to files that are identical when compared bit-by-bit to each others. This has nothing to do with checksums.