IGNORED

"Audiophile" players for a NAS

I'm using a Synology NAS to run Roon.

I'm aware that JRiver and MinimServer can also run on a NAS.

What other "Audiophile" players will run on a NAS.

Please, no debates about whether software players sound different.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Joel

I was and still am using openmediavault ( omv )

on a raspberry pi . Rock solid stable . Really happy with it . I had my music on a usb stick being read through my sotm-200 . I now just use it to back my music . 

It might not be what your looking for though ..

11 hours ago, joelha said:

Joel

Hi Joel

Thought it best to point out that MinimServer is most definitely not a player. It's a UPnP/DLNA media server, so its role is to provide the audio files over the network for the actual players to decode & play - the UPnP/DLNA renderers, aka streamers, aka network audio file players.

Also, JRiver can be used as a UPnP/DLNA media server - so it may or may not be a 'player', depending on how you've configured it.

Therefore, the only NAS software that you've mentioned that is a guaranteed 'player' is Roon. The Roon Core Server has a built-in audio file player that is always used to decode & play the local audio files plus any online music service (TIDAL/Qobuz) audio file tracks in the Roon playlist. This applies even when the audio is required over the network by the devices it supports (ie, HQPlayer, Squeezebox, Chromecast & AirPlay), plus of course its own RAAT protocol supporting Roon Endpoints.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Joel

I don't think JRiver installs on a NAS.  It could use a DLNA server that was installed on a NAS.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Joel

i would only use a NAS as a media server (minimserver, roon core, etc.), not as a player.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, Dr Tone said:

I don't think JRiver installs on a NAS.

There used to be a version of JRiver installable as a QNAP NAS package, though admittedly it was pulled because they couldn't keep up with QNAP changes. It may be possible if the NAS supports Docker, as there is a Docker version of JRiver.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

i would only use a NAS as a media server (minimserver, roon core, etc.), not as a player.

Strictly speaking, Roon Core isn't a network media (ie, audio file) server, but can be used as a network (decoded) audio signal stream (ie, raw LPCM or DSD) 'server'.

-- Jo Cox

8 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Hi Joel

Thought it best to point out that MinimServer is most definitely not a player. It's a UPnP/DLNA media server, so its role is to provide the audio files over the network for the actual players to decode & play - the UPnP/DLNA renderers, aka streamers, aka network audio file players.

Also, JRiver can be used as a UPnP/DLNA media server - so it may or may not be a 'player', depending on how you've configured it.

Therefore, the only NAS software that you've mentioned that is a guaranteed 'player' is Roon. The Roon Core Server has a built-in audio file player that is always used to decode & play the local audio files plus any online music service (TIDAL/Qobuz) audio file tracks in the Roon playlist. This applies even when the audio is required over the network by the devices it supports (ie, HQPlayer, Squeezebox, Chromecast & AirPlay), plus of course its own RAAT protocol supporting Roon Endpoints.

John

You're right to point all of this out to me, John.

That's why I posted.

Thanks a lot for the information.

Joel

8 hours ago, jcn3 said:

I appreciate your opinion, jcn3, but I've spent years tweaking servers (sata cables, various software, linear power supplies, etc.) and I'm now getting the best sound I've ever had off of my NAS using Roon.

I'm just trying to understand this part of my system better.

Joel