IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Hi Guys,

I have just received an answer from the support that the current ver. 3 works stably and without problems,
so there is no need to roll out updates.

As ArthurPower mentioned, ver. 4 is being worked on hard!

If everything goes well, this should be ready at the beginning of next year.

I'm sure many are looking forward to it, because one or the other feature will be integrated.

With audiophile greetings

Hi Guys

As I have found out, the settings for the HQPlayer in the audio settings will disappear!

How come?

Quite simply because Jussi is constantly tinkering around and the HQPlayer is no longer compatible with Euphony!

For this reason it is not supplied with updates that quickly!

Because the support always has to adjust this again with considerable effort.

In the future, this is probably best configured using a browser.

Most of them are probably already doing this via this route ...

Eventeull will have a multilingual user interface at a later date.

I'm already looking forward to it!

And probably an internal pdf booklet reader.

with audiophile greetings

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi guys

i am thinking of adding an intel optane M10 32gb os ssd to my self-made euphony V3 music server, which is equipped with a samsung m.2 2tb ssd.

So euphony would run separately from the music ssd!

The samsung 2tb would then be used for the internal music collection.

Is this a good idea to improve the sound?

12 hours ago, davide256 said:

The Optane as OS drive should improve sound. With NUC's it always sounded better to use a NAS than internal /USB attached storage

many thanks for your input.

if i understood you correctly, should an external nas sound better than an internal ssd?

in terms of network technology, a nas and its audiophile environment is very complex and expensive compared to an internal SSD!

therefore not an option.

I would be much more interested in how euphony behaves with one or two internal ssds?

20 hours ago, davide256 said:

Your sound will have more harshness and irritants using M.2 or SATA attached SSD vs a NAS. The benefit of using internal storage is

faster library scan/access  and less initial cost. If you are committed to internal M.2 storage Intel 670P is a good choice, faster is not as important

as electrically stable/quiet.

Since Stylus uses SMB network file access using a NAS is very easy, can use the basic media server function included

with a NAS. Folks find little difference in performance between NAS competitors for audio SQ, mostly a matter

of how fast a scan completes and throughput.  NAS's are cheaper to grow capacity, trivial audio SQ difference between using SSD

and HD for storage. Over time I've grown mine from 2TB to 10 TB, just by backing up the NAS , swapping in larger drives and restoring

from backup. And there is no "arms race" with NAS technology.  Nice to have one area where the "upgrade-itis" itch is silenced

Hi Davide256

thank you very much for your support and for explaining why a nas is preferable to an internal music ssd.

I think that loading and retrieving the music library while playing music with an internal ssd is not sound-enhancing?!

This is avoided by outsourcing to a NAS?!

That sounds very tempting, and now I can't rest. In addition to the music archive, could the NAS also be used as storage for PC backups, TV films, etc.?

I will PM you to discuss further details.

Best regards

6 hours ago, aangen said:

I find all this amusing. Before, I was using SSD drives in my server. People shouted “build a NAS, it will sound better!” After I built my NAS people shouted “an internal SSD sounds better!”. I am sticking with the NAS.

Hi

Exactly is really interesting, with a NAS you are more flexible than with an internal SSD and it should also sound better according to Davide256, which unfortunately I haven't been able to compare so far and so I trust him that it's better!

If the music files are stored on the OS SSD, you cannot easily install or test them in another pc!

Therefore, I will switch to a NAS in the medium term.

44 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

From what I remember, the wisdom was that solid-state drives in your server, created noise. But then, people found that if you use a very quiet, solid state drive, ie Optane, it was better to have the optane drive in your server. 
I have tried both. I have the Qnap “quiet NAS” that has no fan and I have it powered with a linear power supply. I went as far as not installing the. M.2 SSD in the NAS, and only have spinning, hard drives.  It is situated with my other Network gear and isolated with fiber optic.

I have one of the big Optane drives in my server, and it holds my favorite music for local playback.

thanks for your input!

If I understand you correctly, you switched from a Qnap NAS equipped with m.2 ssd to mechanical hdds and now switched to a quiet, quiet intel optane SSD as the best option?! runs on this euphony as well as the music archive?

Which model?

are these also available as 2TB?

Now I'm a bit confused as to which solution is actually the best!

Many thanks in advance for the detailed description

On 3/16/2023 at 3:07 AM, di-fi said:

Could it be the SSD noise you are referring to was related to using SSD drives with a SATA connection vs. NVMe  M2. drives that have a much directer line (PCIe or M2. ) of communication with the CPU with less noise and less interference ?  

When evaluating sound quality from files stored on a NAS vs. NVMe M2. vs. USB drive (or playing local files vs streaming over internet) one should to take their whole network chain quality AND cost in consideration. The network is open to interference and noise coming in through network- and DC cables, power supplies, router, switch(es) and more. Add to that the type of memory chosen, it's sound character and it's connection type to the MOBO. 

A PCIe card like ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIE can accomodate up to four NVMe M2 drives, but it has a fan (These cards also come without fans). I estimate for 4TB of storage it will cost 4x $60 + fanless expansion PCIe card 1x $50 vs. a 4TB NAS for x $? A Optane 16GB (OS) M2. drive costs $10. An Intel 670P NVMe1TB $60.

I agree as said above your truth is in your ears. But a very inspiring place to start here and with Euphony one can not go wrong, regarding sound quality that is.

Hi

I share your view exactly.

A fully shielded network with professional routers, switches and cables is very complex and very expensive!

I have had good experiences with a galvanically isolated NIC card (fiber optic), this largely keeps interference from the router switch. (galvanic isolation)

in principle, i am very satisfied with the sound of a built-in ssd and euphony V3!

An intel 670P 2TB SSD would probably bring a little more peace, but the effort is hardly worth it?!

So the whole system would have to be reinstalled!......

When upgrading to V4, however, it would make sense to start over and install the Intel 970P SSD at the same time, smile..