Win Server 2019/2016 General questions and discussions

Solid-State

On 3/3/2019 at 11:15 AM, TubeMan said:

Jriver is not compatible with 2019 core,
but a solution if you now definitely want to use Jriver
install Gui and then change shell to cmd in the registry,
there will be a great improvement in the sound
easy to do in AO ST change shell to cmd / command promt

Changing the shell to the actual player has even the better effect on SQ, this applies for both core and GUI mode, but the difference in SQ is by nature certainly bigger in GUI mode.

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

On 3/5/2019 at 3:04 AM, winmore said:

Thank you, Phil.  Another stimulating challenge for me to implement.  I am now running 2019 Standard (Desktop) with JPlay FEMTO, FEMTO streamer and Kinsky and AOb36 (2 - D) and am delighted by SQ.  Another lift with actual player as shell will be a bonus. 

I also interpret your post to mean that core has SQ advantages over desktop (certainly it did in my previous 2012 R Install) so I still have much to look forward to ...

Yes Core mode does sound better than GUI. The difference was bigger in 2012/2012 R2, got a bit smaller with 2016 and i think a bit smaller again with server 2019.

But if you go with GUI (there are various reasons to do so), you can and shall still use the shell replacement feature of ServiceTool. In this case you will replace the entire windows desktop with your media player of choice. And this of course has a significant impact on sound quality.

(thats one of two reason why I made that thing :), convenience is the other one...)

____________________________________________________________________________________

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The „Install HD Audio“ feature should take care of that. 100% sure you pressed F8 and disabled driver signature enforcement before running the install hd audio feature?

I‘m sure there will be a solution for this as well. Should you find it, please let me know. Should I find it, i‘ll put it into AO for sure! :)

Exactly thats the reason why in the future I will recommend Server 2019 in GUI to everyone who asks me.

absolutely hassle free GUI experience paired with jaw dropping sound quality on the level of 2016 Core. What a no brainer!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Martin

If you format the drive you can use the same ISO as many times as you wish.

even easier is to just extend the trial period by another 180 days. This can be repeated five times, then you really have to format and start with a fresh installation.

see this how-to article: https://sid-500.com/2017/08/08/windows-server-2016-evaluation-how-to-extend-the-trial-period/

Best,

AudioPhil

Hi @moriez

I do not know of a way disabling (or removing) the tick at the index checkbox of a drive.

but that setting is irrelevant as long as the search service isn‘t running. Hope this helps to clarify :)

Best,

AudioPhil

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jaynyc said:

the main AO product page has been updated for Windows Server 2019!

https://hypertrap.com/arch/hist/jkeklw32q9/skioub39lz#dm=wbw

https://www.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer

You better hypertrap the change log :)

https://www.highend-audiopc.com/changelog

Best,

AudioPhil

11 minutes ago, jaynyc said:

done.

https://hypertrap.com/arch/hist/bvei2rfdmk/edm1n7n0d4

anyone who wants to piggy back onto the automatic email alerts can just click Follow

This will ruthlessly expose my obsession for correcting typos... 😂

9 hours ago, Quadman said:

Question, does win server 2019 work with wifi?  and if so is it easy to set up?  My audio room has no ethernet access so wifi is what i run in my win 10 pro setup.

Hi

Yes, please see page 21 of our main pdf guide. Install your WiFi driver and either install the Wireless LAN feature by hand or use our ServiceTool to do so:

image.thumb.png.bf17deababeb779d462dbc4055cef735.png

Best,

AudioPhil

16 hours ago, Quadman said:

@AudioPhil, Thank you.  Loving what 3.0 does to win 10 pro.  Based on your ranking you think 19 server desktop will be a nice improvement in sound?  One last question what is this about CAL's do you need any for server standard desktop on a single one user PC?

Hey :)

it will be much more than a nice improvement. Use Server 2019 in GUI and you‘ll get about the sound quality of Server 2016 in core. And this is almost night and day compared to Windows 10. It‘s mich easier and faster to install and configure than Windows 10 as well. And no hassle related to Core and still around 95% of its sound quality in GUI, so Server 2019 GUI is clearly the way to go.

Setup Guide for 2019: https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/windows_server_2019_setup_guide.pdf

Evaluation ISO Server 2019: https://www.highend-audiopc.com/iso/server-2019

5 CAL‘s are included with a Standard license, so no need to buy additional CAL‘s for Windows Server.

Best,

AudioPhil

8 hours ago, Quadman said:

@AudioPhil Help.  I am having a hard time activating my 2019 server standard with desktop experience evaluation copy to a retail copy.

First I downloaded the eval copy from MS web site, same as your link on a second windows PC.  I then used rufus to make a bootable USB with this image.  I then used a clean SSD drive in my dedicated Audio PC, inserted the USB and started the PC, changed boot order to USB and it booted fine and installed exactly as you would expect.  I then installed my drivers, made sure no yellow signs in DM, installed HQP and Roonserver and got my wifi working.  I then installed AO3, activated it, it used the same hardware ID as my 10pro set up and the same activation key worked.  I then set up auto logon and then ran AO and I listened to music all last night it is better than 10 pro but not night and day.

Today I tried activating I searched the web and found best way to do it.  DISM get target in administrator command prompt and then change target.  Well I get this error and here is the DISM log

130029091_gettargeted.thumb.jpg.f904bfefb4bf342691de4ecfa1ef6e45.jpg2021696858_dismlog.thumb.jpg.c5994a83cf79b7e04b0bd4ecaad5f401.jpg

It looks like I don't have a valid windows system image??  WTF????

So I go into settings and check about system and I see this below and then check activation and see this below.

winstat.thumb.jpg.868317f96e710bf4c342a9c677b9a3e1.jpg

1842381187_servact.thumb.jpg.8822d1341376f71d67458dd85ca61930.jpg

So it looks okay there but through command prompt and DISM it doesn't like something.  Any ideas what to do?

Thanks

Sorry, I have never seen this error before. You might try using the "change product key" button and just enter your retail key, this should work as well.

Rufus is most likely the problem, it is not suited for windows images as dar as I know. use the Windows Media Creation Tool or Windows 7 USB Tool to create your usb stick instead.

2 hours ago, Quadman said:

I googled using media creation tool with server and got no hits or mentions of it working, I found manual script methods and of course rufus was suggested a lot.

Anyway with server 19 w GUI and AO3 and AFpro8.4 the sound took another positive step forward. More transparent, more dynamic, more there, more jump.  So much presence and stage width, dept and height was more pronounced.  Nicely done Phil.

Here you go :)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485