IGNORED

Semi-Mobile Headphones Worth Owning

UAPP has turned my eye towards socially acceptable means of turning inwards while outside the home.  Looking to purchase something capable of engaging listening on the go with most genres of music.  I did the rounds of Tyll's "WOF" and what little sense I could make of Head-Fi etc.  My interests lie in owning only one set of full size closed headphones.  Preferably someone could sit next to me without being bothered by my listening to them.  

Before finding the review here my interest was piqued by the NAD Viso HP50.  SQ would have to trump sightliness considerably to be seen in my own home wearing anything uglier.  Subjectively speaking.  

What might be a few other audiophile approved choices that are light and durable enough to consider hauling around?

Good closed cans that can be transported around is a tough one.  What are you using for a usb DAC with UAPP?

One set that surprised me was the sennheiser hd630vb, very good phones for the money and designed for portable use, easy to drive at only 23 ohm.  Only gripe with them is the non-removable cord.  Has an inline mic so it makes the cord itself microphonic, and can't be swapped without a DIY effort.  Solid construction with an all aluminum body, heavier than most but not too much.  They sold for $500 originally but you can find them below $200 now you can't beat them at that price.  They actually kinda image for closed cans, i was surprised.

Technically, not using anything with UAPP is an option (especially with LG G7).  One of those tiny USB C to 3.5mm OTG cords with built in DAC is also possible.  As would be a portable DAC without amp.  Anything marketed as a mobile option should be easy to drive.  I may be approaching this in the wrong order of buying the speaker before anything to match it with.

Anything you typed after HDxxx was the exact reason I asked here.  Some of these models must have a dozen offshoot SKU's. Sorting out which ones work after a little corrective measure being applied further muddies the field.  The crop of available options also tends to be quite thick in the price range a sane person would publicly remove awareness of their surroundings in public while wearing.  Or stuff in a backpack shoved over a chair in a coffee shop someone just up and walks off with like happened to our site owner.  :$

I'll look into the Sennheiser.  Anything else, not closed back, come to mind that doesn't leak too much?  

Thank you.

Certainly not the most modern design.  Look quite comfortable to make up for not folding or having hinged cups.  A hard case would be useful if carrying them around.  

Meze_Classic99_Photo_Colors.jpg

For contrast here is the steely Sennheiser HD630vb.  Somehow I suspect none of the three mentioned thus far will sound anything alike. 

545753-sennheiser-hd-630vb.jpg?thumb=y&w

@rando How about IEMs? I bought Noble X Massdrop recently ($250). Compared them to Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 couple of days ago - they are more detailed in the whole spectrum (bass is just the way I like it - fast and well controlled, they don't have much subbass thugh) and at the same time they sound very fast and smooth as silk. Obviously they are extremely portable. You may need to search for tips that fit your ears though. I plug them directly into my phone or laptop. No problems with harshness, listening to them is a great pleasure! I think I will never go back to over ears phones again. They've convinced me to BA technology.

23 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

@rando How about IEMs? I bought Noble X Massdrop recently ($250). Compared them to Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 couple of days ago - they are more detailed in the whole spectrum (bass is just the way I like it - fast and well controlled, they don't have much subbass though)... I think I will never go back to over ears phones again. They've convinced me to BA technology.

What convinced me of new headphones? Inserting my current pair of IEM for the first time in many months lasted about 5 seconds before they got tossed.  Too many years hauling a good number of them around and I lost interest.  So politely thank you, but I've had enough!

Having owned everything but adult tuned over ear phones there was some unexpected enthusiasm towards them that cropped up. Tempered by the habitual publicly crawling into a mobile device infecting (US at least) society currently.  Life offers enough chances to walk over to a park and kill some time or just not bother the stranger in near proximity with noise. 

Nothing complicated or premeditated about it.  Fully expect to be happy with whatever I get and it not hurting my ears.  :)

5 minutes ago, rando said:

What convinced me of new headphones? Inserting my current pair of IEM for the first time in many months lasted about 5 seconds before they got tossed.  Too many years hauling a good number of them around and I lost interest.  So politely thank you, but I've had enough!

Having owned everything but adult tuned over ear phones there was some unexpected enthusiasm towards them that cropped up. Tempered by the habitual publicly crawling into a mobile device infecting (US at least) society currently.  Life offers enough chances to walk over to a park and kill some time or just not bother the stranger in near proximity with noise. 

Nothing complicated or premeditated about it.  Fully expect to be happy with whatever I get and it not hurting my ears.  :)

I can understand that :)

I'm more of an IEM guy (e.g. Shure, Campfire Audio), but I've been happy with a pair of Oppo PM-3 headphones.  They aren't made any longer, but you can pick up a used set in great condition on Head-fi.org for ~$300.  I also have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum over-the-ear headphones and they are pretty nice as well.  The 2.0 version is out now and I wish I would have waited since they fold for stowage better than the version I own.  Either pair sounds great driven directly from my LG V40.

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly coming back to owning a set of IEM as well.  Maybe something like the Massdrop Nuforce EDC.  Problem being the only time they'd get used is riding outdoors on dedicated bike paths.  Sweat and hard use for hours at a time force options with low sound quality and longevity usually.    

Everything including the quickly rising price is convincing me to go with the NAD Viso HP50.  Just torn between Red and Black.