IGNORED

Relative importance of differences in stereo systems

On 1/14/2019 at 6:53 PM, STC said:

To be an audiophile you need to have high end equipment

I'm more than a bit surprised at the lack of response to this statement. The term "audiophile" is often used pejoratively, e.g. as Ken Rockwell does:

• "Audiophiles are what's left after almost all of the knowledgeable music and engineering people left the audio scene back in the 1980s."
  • "audiophiles don't have the experience or education to understand what matters"

But I think Rockwellians are a bit harsh in seeing pursuit of expensive audio equipment purely or primarily as ignorant and conspicuous consumption, despite their occasional confluence.  And if that were the context of the quoted post, I would have expected something like "To be an audiophile, you need to have fancy, costly, exotic, highly rated equipment".  Thankfully, it seems more like an innocently elitist term in the posted context - so I only have to take polite issue with it.  For me and multiple excellent dictionaries like Webster ("a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction") and Cambridge ("a person who is very interested in and enthusiastic about equipment for playing recorded sound, and its quality"), being an audiophile requires only interest and enthusiasm.  I can find no hardware requirements.

Maybe I'm not a true audiophile.  Over the 60+ years I've been whatever it is that I am, I've generally spent 5% or less of the cost of contemporary "high end" systems on my own stuff.  Sadly, I had to settle for only about 90+% of the sound quality I could have gotten had I used my money for "better" audio equipment instead of education, guitars, cars, women, clothes, wine, travel, cameras, bicycles, motorcycles, family, house, and............music :)  And every once in a while, the audio gods allow the weaknesses in my system to cancel each other and grace me with an outstanding listening session, for which I am truly thankful (and aware that my approach to audiophilia does not merit such joy).

In retirement, I continue to struggle with the sonic & functional limitations imposed by less-than-high-end equipment.  Fortunately, I've been able to resist conscious depression, despite suffering from a 50 year old Thorens & SME, i3- and ARM-based computers, entry level Audioquest wires,  Emotiva and Wadia DACs,  powered JBLs, and Prima Luna amplification driving Focal 726s and Rogers LS3/5a  speakers, and similarly limiting stuff.  Even my piano is only a Yamaha.

Be aware that many others suffer the same pain in silence. But we soldier on, because we're - wait_for_it.gif.5c979fd4a3852352fce8c338bc5349e5.gif - AUDIOPHILES!

18 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I am surprised.  Most of my aquaintances with whom I would discuss such issues are pretty firmly commited to their passions and pursue them as far as they are able and do not question their efforts.  As with any such pursuits, one should only question whether it is unhealthy rather than if it is wise or worth it.  This is what we live for, along with a few more obvious and practical endeavors.

Just as my wife is commited to the visual arts (as an artist and a devotee), I am commited to music and the ability to enjoy it live and at home.  That is consistent with being an audiophile.  There will always be those who see things differently and get their joys in other ways, perhaps.  They are not my concern.

Your passion and equanimity are laudable, Kal - I'm also fortunate enough to possess a fair measure of each.  But you seem to have less contact with the many conflicted and unhappy souls out there than I do.  And as a physician, it absolutely is my concern if I can be of any help to any of them.  While many - OK, maybe most :) - people see things differently from me, those who get their joys from belittling the tastes and pursuits of others are hurtful, and they abound.  Helping an AS newbie to be as positive as you are about his or her passions and efforts to engage them is a wonderful, worthwhile endeavor that demonstrates what it means to you and me to be an audiophile. We are very lucky to be us, my friend!

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

But why address me in a responso to STC's comment?

...because of your reaction to my comment on STC's statement that "...[t]o be an audiophile you need to have high end equipment", specifically :

19 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I am commited to music and the ability to enjoy it live and at home.  That is consistent with being an audiophile.  There will always be those who see things differently and get their joys in other ways, perhaps.  They are not my concern.

After clinging tightly to my innocence for 7 decades, I had to let it go when confronted with "It was statement to emphazise the importance of room acoustics... Today, audiophile refers to lifestyle and branded equipment despite what they claim to be. Like the Audioquest and Wadia DAC that you are using."  I don't know who "they" are, but they seem not to approve of my equipment choices.

This interchange opened my eyes! I'm with you - I'm wasting my breath and sticking my neck out for no good reason.  It's no longer my concern.  I hope that everyone can and does pursue his or her passions, and that each gets as much pleasure and satisfaction from them as you and I and our wives do from ours. But I will not again intervene - let everyone make his or her choices and live with them.

In fact, you've inspired me to set up MC!  I'd forgotten all about my Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver, which I put in the closet when we sold the house 3 years ago.  The Wolfson 24/192 DACs may not be "audiophile quality" 😉, but they're a start.  I'll find out how important differences in the system are to me as I develop this.

22 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Don't be sad, maybe by the time you reach my age, near 70, you'll learn too.

As 70 fades in my rear view mirror, it's clear that the young 'uns can be mighty funny creatures, Sal.  The older they get, the smarter we get.  Just stay in the groove, man' - many will eventually catch on and catch up.

old_couple_dancing.gif.5725e9e580991400334902df50ce7d98.gif