IGNORED

From 0 to NUC/AL/RAM in 2 hours

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, happydance said:

hi, @bobfa I got the image file and etcher. Installed etcher to windows and used it to put the img headless file on a new 64GB memory stick. I  navigated to the file OK and asked etcher to flash to the memory stick, But afterwards it just says I need to format the drive first? Can you (anyone) elaborate on the process with more detail as I am stuck? Thanks!

When etcher is done the USB stick is not in a format that windows really understands.  You I just take the USB stick and boot it in the NUC or whatever is going to be your AL device.

Now if you are talking about the USB not booting in the NUC you have to make sure the Boot settings are right.  UFEI needs to be on and the Boot Security stuff needs to be off!

I would suggest that you separate the RAMROOT stuff from configuration.  Setup running from USB and make sure it works.  Then setup RAMROOT.  Avoids confusion.

The status menu and ramroot status will tell you what service are running and if you are in RAM.

I have not been running AL on my endpoint for a couple of months now.  I have been testing with another OS.  

On 5/16/2019 at 3:47 AM, happydance said:

HI everyone!

so can you tell if this screenshot (below) shows that my wireless NUC is working and active via audiolinux?

967844672_wifistatus(NUC).jpg.51be2076d660b513f9dca7c43b2b03d3.jpg

it is OFF. Make sure you have the latest image and menu to run with.  I just setup my NUC with v1.30 and Menu 118 WLAN settings worked first time.  I think I have different hardware than you do.IMG_1836.thumb.jpeg.f6004fe0c940c6f66d186ad4822cbc7c.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I have made several major changes to my systems design over the last month or so.  I have moved from a dual system to TWO single systems.  My NUC is now the server/streamer for my headphone system and my Xeon system is now the server/streamer for my Kii Three Speakers.  Both systems are running Euphony OS and their Stylus player. MY music is stored on my QNAP NAS for now.  On the main system there is a copy of my library on an external drive connected directly to the Xeon system VIA USB with external power.

This system, the NUC is powered by my JS-2 power supply with Ghent JSSG cable to the NUC and a Ghent JSSG USB cable directly to the Multibit DAC in the LYR-3.  There are Transparent Audio power cords and power-line filter on the headphone system.

5A0965D0-BDA2-434D-96C4-83189D3DFB80.thumb.jpeg.4ef3c93fd26ced579caa4a0c11ba8e13.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, congofather said:

Hi @bobfa,

I am planning to build a new music server to use with Devialet 220 PRO . I store my audio files on Synology NAS with 2TB SSD disk. I have read this thread from the beginning. You recommend Intel NUC7i7DBNE and Akasa NUC Plato X7D case in the first page. But in the end, I see that you currently use a Xeon system for your home stereo on which  Euphony OS is running. I am a little bit confused. What are the main parts of your Xeon server? Do you currently advise us Xeon server with Euphony or NUC7i7DBNE with AudioLinux? 

I just now updated the top of the thread with more info.   PLEASE remember that all of this is my listening experience!    Over time, say 9 months I have migrated from AudioLinux to Euphony. I have also moved from two box to a single box system.  (Well with USB regeneration).  

I still use Roon, only now with the Stylus-ep system in a single computer.  I also use the Stylus player that is part of the Euphony system.  I find it fascinating that the software/OS running on the hardware makes so much difference in the sound.

The question is what I recommend.  I do not actually recommend any of this.  I try stuff and  find things that work and do not work for ME!  I report on my findings for others to observe and to play with, validate if they like, etc..    

The most important questions here are do you want to build something or buy something.  Building is fun for me!    What is fun for you?

Bob

1 hour ago, congofather said:

What about Xeon server vs NUC7i7DBNE ? What is the configuration of the Xeon server? I found https://silentpc.com/fanless-pcs/fanless-xeon-server#Configure . Is there any customization on this configuration?

That is an interesting box.  I would not make some of the choices they made.  The power supply is one of the first changes I would make.    

The following is what I built back in February and have evolved throughout the year.  I will be testing some new RAM in the box shortly.  (Because I can!)

• 1 month later...