IGNORED

GentooPlayer

For those who are familiar with running scripts from the command line(by using ssh), it's easier to run some pre-defined commands to mount some folders on your NAS server which are given below. I run these commands in the same way & order whenever I install Gentooplayer from scratch. I just store them in a text file so as not to forget to run any of these commands.

1) If you have not created a mount folder(You can change the folder name) before on Gentooplayer , you should first create it and assign appropriate rights for it.

cd /mnt

mkdir Synology_Music

chmod 777 /mnt/Synology_Music

If you also have a specific folder to store all your playlists on your NAS server, just create another folder to mount it similarly.

mkdir Synology_Playlist

chmod 777 /mnt/Synology_Playlist

2) Let's mount the folders on NAS Server by using CIFS protocol (I assume that your NAS server supports CIFs protocol). You'll probably see such a default line given below.

nano /etc/fstab

#/dev/mmcblk0p3          none            swap            sw              0 0

etc_fstab.thumb.jpg.d2485721562a452df5e5f8c0cba5c503.jpg

Just insert the following mappings below that line.. Please keep in mind that you should change the folder names, username and password according to your own current settings.

//NAS_SERVER'S_STATIC_IPADDRESS/music /mnt/Synology_Music cifs vers=3.0,username=admin,password=xyz12345678,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,rw,uid=1000,gid=500,nofail 0 0

If you also have a specific folder to store all your playlists in another folder on your NAS server, then you can also mount it in a similar way.

//NAS_SERVER'S_STATIC_IPADDRESS/music/playlist /mnt/Synology_Playlist cifs vers=3.0,username=admin,password=xyz12345678,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail 0 0

3) After you edit the file, just save and exit

4) Lastly, run mount -a  from the command line to refresh the mounted folders according to your settings.

50 minutes ago, congofather said:

For those who are familiar with running scripts from the command line(by using ssh), it's easier to run some pre-defined commands to mount some folders on your NAS server which are given below. I run these commands in the same way & order whenever I install Gentooplayer from scratch. I just store them in a text file so as not to forget to run any of these commands.

1) If you have not created a mount folder(You can change the folder name) before on Gentooplayer , you should first create it and assign appropriate rights for it.

cd /mnt

mkdir Synology_Music

chmod 777 /mnt/Synology_Music

If you also have a specific folder to store all your playlists on your NAS server, just create another folder to mount it similarly.

mkdir Synology_Playlist

chmod 777 /mnt/Synology_Playlist

2) Let's mount the folders on NAS Server by using CIFS protocol (I assume that your NAS server supports CIFs protocol). You'll probably see such a default line given below.

nano /etc/fstab

#/dev/mmcblk0p3          none            swap            sw              0 0

etc_fstab.thumb.jpg.d2485721562a452df5e5f8c0cba5c503.jpg

Just insert the following mappings below that line.. Please keep in mind that you should change the folder names, username and password according to your own current settings.

//NAS_SERVER'S_STATIC_IPADDRESS/music /mnt/Synology_Music cifs vers=3.0,username=admin,password=xyz12345678,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,rw,uid=1000,gid=500,nofail 0 0

If you also have a specific folder to store all your playlists in another folder on your NAS server, then you can also mount it in a similar way.

//NAS_SERVER'S_STATIC_IPADDRESS/music/playlist /mnt/Synology_Playlist cifs vers=3.0,username=admin,password=xyz12345678,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail 0 0

3) After you edit the file, just save and exit

4) Lastly, run mount -a  from the command line to refresh the mounted folders according to your settings.

GentooPlayer uses a series of symbolic links for the various libraries, as with mpd etc...editing things by hand could lead to problems...

Like the path you use /mnt/Synology_Music

if you really want to do it use /mnt/samba/Synology_Music, /mnt/samba/Synology_Playlist etc

54 minutes ago, Luciano.Badoe said:

Hi @congofather, I thanks very much for your help, but I still with problems.

image.thumb.png.611d220b59ba939c02207768df3ed726.pngimage.thumb.png.12d5b338e37f1d78fdd1ac1ccfa77465.png

Have you already enabled &configured SMB access on your NAS? I can give example for Synology NAS that uses DSM 7 and above;

CIFS(Common Internet File System) is an SMB implementation and you should enable SMB service and configure minimum and maximum SMB protocol under advanced settings. It is normally recommended to use the minimum SMB Protocol as SMB2. But as my NAS is located in my secure LAN, I set its value as SMB1.

image.thumb.png.d6c7c9d14004831059cdf5ff39031b1d.png

@antonellocaroli in order to minimize the possibility of naming conflicts with the ones that Gentooplayer already uses, I do not use very general naming convention like Music folder etc. Instead, I add the brandname etc. as a prefix. But it is better to add it under samba folder as you advised. I'll change that next time👌.

Hi All, 

Let me share my user feedback and impression.

First of all I would like to say that GENTOOPLAYER is the best solution I tested ever, thanks to Antonello fo the huge job made.

The concept of a lightweight system, minimum size and transparent as possible, letting the music play is one of the obvious way to go for me : the opposite of a Windows based concept !

I'm also using Diretta on the 2 RPI4 used for the streamer and a Mac mini as music server. 

As many of people are considering Audirvana as one of the best server/player solution, I tried several times Audirvana, to make my own opinion.

Based on y system (RPI), I'm absolutely not convinced.

The host RPI CPU was loaded at 88%, It took more than one week to scan my 8 To of music located on a Synology NAS.

Maybe the sound is a bit more precise, specially the stage and "humanise" sound texture, depending of the recordings. 

I think Audirvana is a very good solution, but not fitting the basics of Gentooplayer concept : Minimum software in audio implication

Moreless, I finally think the RPI is not the proper machine to run Audirvana, I think Audirvana need a bigger computer with more RAM and speeder CPU.

I tested Audirvana on the Mac mini, and the result was a few better (the stage and "humanise" sound texture, seems to be a kind of Audirvana signature) than LMS solution.

LMS is given a very good user experience, adding many music/artist information.

Until today the best results with very good stage and detailed sound, maybe needing a bit more incarnation and texture is for me, on my system :

LMS on external server Mac Mini

UPNP/DLNA Bridge

GMrenderer on Host

Diretta Target :

RPI 4 8Go

Gentooplayer 8.6 

Profile 1

Kernel 6.8.1-GentooPlayer-ULTRA-EUP-CLTO-TEST+

Diretta Host :

RPI 4 8Go

Gentooplayer 8.6 

Profile 1

Kernel 6.8.1-GentooPlayer-RT-ULTRA-EUP-NOR-CLTO-TEST+

I don't want here to charge anything against Audirvana, as I really think it's one of the best Player/server solution in the field, but imho need bigger computer capacity than a simple RPI.

Let me know If my analysm is wrong or I missed something . 

Streamer : RPI4 8Go + Gentooplayer ( 8.5 Kernel CTLO) + Diretta Target + Audiophonics DIGIPI+I2S - RPI4 8Go + Gentooplayer ( 8.5 Kernel CTLO) + Diretta Host + UpmPCli + MDP Bit Perfect - Power supply DIY Audiophonics S4-HP Micrel29752 - Server : Mac mini + LMS -DAC : MUSICIAN Pegasus R2R - Preamp : QUAD PRE 99 - Amps : QUAD 606 MKII (recaped and updated) x 2 - Speakers : KEF REFERENCE 203/1 - Speaker Cables : REAL CABLE 3D-TDC - DAC to Pream Cable : DIY NEOTECH NEMOI-3220 OCC PTFE Ø10mm - Preamp to Amps Cables : QED Performance Audio 40i - Ethernet Cables : SOMMER CABLE 580‑0201 CAT 6 S/UTP + RJ45 connectors LOGILINK MP048

8 minutes ago, aqs_ said:

@Ikyo What application are you controlling the LMS? do you use Tidal, Qobuz?

LMS with material skin plugin the best for me, usuable in all the component (PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, iPad..), it's a webinterface then independent of any OS.

I also tried Ipeng, Mconnect and some others, but even they are not free apps, they are not providing the same tools as LMS with Material skin.

I'm using Qobuz, works very well with LMS plugin

Streamer : RPI4 8Go + Gentooplayer ( 8.5 Kernel CTLO) + Diretta Target + Audiophonics DIGIPI+I2S - RPI4 8Go + Gentooplayer ( 8.5 Kernel CTLO) + Diretta Host + UpmPCli + MDP Bit Perfect - Power supply DIY Audiophonics S4-HP Micrel29752 - Server : Mac mini + LMS -DAC : MUSICIAN Pegasus R2R - Preamp : QUAD PRE 99 - Amps : QUAD 606 MKII (recaped and updated) x 2 - Speakers : KEF REFERENCE 203/1 - Speaker Cables : REAL CABLE 3D-TDC - DAC to Pream Cable : DIY NEOTECH NEMOI-3220 OCC PTFE Ø10mm - Preamp to Amps Cables : QED Performance Audio 40i - Ethernet Cables : SOMMER CABLE 580‑0201 CAT 6 S/UTP + RJ45 connectors LOGILINK MP048

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

You are using a profile, practically everything on a cpu, including audirvana, you should deactivate the profile...

Thanks for the precision. 

I'll remake a test, in the mean time when'd I tried Audirvana on the Mac mini the Cpu load was also very high, may the Linux version better optimised than the MacOs one?

1 minute ago, antonellocaroli said:

if you transcode, it would seem normal to me...

No transcoding. 

you're a developer, of course you are knowing better than me the software structure. 

For you Audirvana don't need huge processing to run, right ?

Requesting assistance on Diretta Crashing Frequently on the X86 HOST. 

I have been having this issue for quite some time now.. Initially it all works fine when i burn a new image load it onto the Host PC and after couple of days, Diretta starts to crash quite frequently. This typically happens everytime i do a GP update is what i feel, coz the problem occurs after the GP update. 

I have done everything possible at my disposal and the last thing that i am going to try now is adding a switch to my router and connect both the Host and Target together to the switch insted of connecting both to the router (currently) via LAN cable.

Is anyone here having this problem similar to mine. Kindly assist. 

As a last resort, i have just got a simple switch and now i have the main router connected to the switch and my Target and Host PC connected to the switch. Dunno if this will solve the issue as the last thing i suspected here was my router. Hopefully now diretta does not crash but i shall keep posted here. 

also to add, if i switch back to Roon Bridge i absolutely have no issues.. It just works flawlessly without any disconnects. 

I am sharing the system info of both Target and Host in case that helps.

Target:

_____ _ _____ _
/ ____| | | | __ \| |
| | __ ___ _ __ | |_ ___ ___ | |__) | | __ _ _ _ ___ _ __
| | |_ |/ _ \ '_ \| __/ _ \ / _ \| ___/| |/ _` | | | |/ _ \ '__|
| |__| | __/ | | | || (_) | (_) | | | | (_| | |_| | __/ |
\_____|\___|_| |_|\__\___/ \___/|_| |_|\__,_|\__, |\___|_|
__/ |
|___/
Profile: Profile not Setting
RamSystem: Ramsystem not enabled
Free memory: 7596MB of total 7883MB

Kernel: 6.8.1-GentooPlayer-ULTRA-EUP-RCU-CLTO-TEST+
───────────────────────────────────────
GentooPlayer | 20:55 | Fri 03/05/24
v8.60-228 | Raspberry Pi 4B+ (aarch64)
eth0 | 192.168.0.100

Players/soft. Info:
Squeezelite-R2 [Disabled]
Squeezelite [Disabled]
Networkaudiod [Disabled]
LogitechMediaServer [Disabled]
BubbleUpnp [Disabled]
HQPlayer Embedded [Disabled]
Mpd [Disabled]
UpMpdCli [Disabled]
RoonBridge [Disabled]
RoonServer [Disabled]
myMPD [Disabled]
minimserver [Disabled]
shairport-sync [Disabled]
spotify-connect [Enabled]
web-interface [Enabled]
Samba [Disabled]
gmediarender [Disabled]
camillagui [Disabled]
aplayer [Disabled]
aprenderer [Disabled]
gstreciver [Disabled]
HotSpot [Disabled]

GP-Service Info:
gpchronystop [Enabled]
gphavagedstop [Enabled]
gpkernel1 [Enabled]
gprtclock [Enabled]
gpsetrestart [Enabled]
gp_starter [Enabled]
-

Started Service:
dhcpcd
netmount
diretta_target
librespot
sshd
local

Stopped Service:
chronyd
clockup
gpkernel1
gprtclock
gpchronystop
gphavagedstop
gp_starter
gpsetrestart

Crashed Service:

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Boot Options:
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=f0cce14e-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait nosoftlockup numa_balancing=disable audit=0 selinux=0 cpuidle.off=1 skew_tick=1 net.ifnames=0
*** Scanning for playback devices ***
Card 0, ID `sndrpihifiberry', name `snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus'
Device 0, ID `HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0', name `HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0', 1 subdevices (1 available)
2 channels, sampling rate 8000..352800 Hz
Sample formats: S16_LE, S24_LE, S32_LE
Buffer size range from 4 to 131072
Period size range from 2 to 65536

Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'

AUDIO CARDS INFO:
CARD TYPE ADDRESS NAME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
card0 Internal Audio card card0 --> -- HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro
card0 STATUS --> closed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K-d8:3a:dd:26:34:f4

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root ext4 57G 5.2G 50G 10% /
devtmpfs devtmpfs 10M 0 10M 0% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 1.6G 520K 1.6G 1% /run
shm tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /dev/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1 vfat 591M 233M 359M 40% /boot

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5
CPU(s): 4
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
CPU(s) scaling MHz: 100%
Thread(s) per core: 1
Vendor ID: ARM
Model: 3
Model name: Cortex-A72
CPU-specific microarchitecture:

Gentooplayer CPU Info
Use cpu-governor to change CPU / performance options
Architecture | aarch64
Temp | 55'c : 131'f | warm.
Governor | performance

Current Freq Min Freq Max Freq
CPU0 | 1500 MHz 600 MHz 1500 MHz
CPU1 | 1500 MHz 600 MHz 1500 MHz
CPU2 | 1500 MHz 600 MHz 1500 MHz
CPU3 | 1500 MHz 600 MHz 1500 MHz

COMMAND %CPU
diretta_app_tar 0.6
dhcpcd 0.0
init 0.0
rcuop/0 0.0
rcuop/3 0.0

HOST PC:

_____ _ _____ _
/ ____| | | | __ \| |
| | __ ___ _ __ | |_ ___ ___ | |__) | | __ _ _ _ ___ _ __
| | |_ |/ _ \ '_ \| __/ _ \ / _ \| ___/| |/ _` | | | |/ _ \ '__|
| |__| | __/ | | | || (_) | (_) | | | | (_| | |_| | __/ |
\_____|\___|_| |_|\__\___/ \___/|_| |_|\__,_|\__, |\___|_|
__/ |
|___/
Profile: Profile not Setting
RamSystem: Ramsystem not enabled
Free memory: 7108MB of total 7696MB

Kernel: 6.7.0-x86_64-GentooPlayer-RT-ULTRA-NOR
GentooPlayer | 20:45 | Fri 03/05/24
v8.60-228 | Generic Device (x86_64)
eth0 | 192.168.0.102

Players/soft. Info:
Squeezelite-R2 [Disabled]
Squeezelite [Disabled]
Networkaudiod [Disabled]
LogitechMediaServer [Disabled]
BubbleUpnp [Disabled]
HQPlayer Embedded [Disabled]
Mpd [Disabled]
UpMpdCli [Disabled]
RoonBridge [Disabled]
RoonServer [Enabled]
myMPD [Disabled]
minimserver [Disabled]
shairport-sync [Disabled]
spotify-connect [Enabled]
web-interface [Enabled]
Samba [Disabled]
gmediarender [Disabled]
camillagui [Disabled]
aplayer [Disabled]
aprenderer [Disabled]
gstreciver [Disabled]
HotSpot [Disabled]

GP-Service Info:
gpchronystop [Enabled]
gphavagedstop [Enabled]
gpkernel1 [Enabled]
gprtclock [Enabled]
gpsetrestart [Enabled]
gp_starter [Enabled]
-

Started Service:
dhcpcd
netmount
librespot
roonserver
local

Stopped Service:
gprtclock
gpkernel1
chronyd
clockup
gphavagedstop
gp_starter
gpchronystop
gpsetrestart

Crashed Service:
diretta

Boot Options:
"quiet splash transparent_hugepage=never clocksource=tsc mitigations=off tsc=reliable processor.max_cstate=0 nmi_watchdog=0 nosoftlockup intel_pstate=disable mce=off hpet=disable numa_balancing=disable amd_pstate=disable audit=0 selinux=0 cpuidle.off=1 skew_tick=1"
*** Scanning for playback devices ***

AUDIO CARDS INFO:
CARD TYPE ADDRESS NAME

K-88:ae:dd:0f:bb:f2

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
none tmpfs 3.8G 824K 3.8G 1% /run
udev devtmpfs 10M 4.0K 10M 1% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 3.8G 0 3.8G 0% /dev/shm
/dev/nvme0n1p3 ext4 458G 6.1G 434G 2% /
efivarfs efivarfs 192K 47K 141K 26% /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

CPU(s): 4
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
CPU(s) scaling MHz: 148%
Thread(s) per core: 2
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
BIOS Vendor ID: Intel(R) Corporation
BIOS CPU family: 206
CPU family: 6
Model: 142
Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10110U CPU @ 2.10GHz
BIOS Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10110U CPU @ 2.10GHz To Be Filled By O.E.M. CPU @ 2.1GHz
CPU-specific microarchitecture: SKYLAKE
CPU x86_64 level is supported: x86-64-v3
x86-64-v2
CPU_FLAGS supported: aes avx avx2 f16c fma3 mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt rdrand sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3

Gentooplayer CPU Info
Use cpu-governor to change CPU / performance options
Architecture | x86_64
Temp | 59'c : 138'f | warm.
Governor | performance

Current Freq Min Freq Max Freq
CPU0 | 3700 MHz 400 MHz 2501 MHz
CPU1 | 3700 MHz 400 MHz 2501 MHz
CPU2 | 3700 MHz 400 MHz 2501 MHz
CPU3 | 3700 MHz 400 MHz 2501 MHz

COMMAND %CPU
RoonAppliance 7.5
kworker/u8:0+ke 1.6
irq/137-eth0 0.5
RAATServer 0.3
ktimers/2 0.2
ktimers/3 0.2
1 hour ago, Prodigy85 said:

Requesting assistance on Diretta Crashing Frequently on the X86 HOST. 

I have been having this issue for quite some time now.. Initially it all works fine when i burn a new image load it onto the Host PC and after couple of days, Diretta starts to crash quite frequently. This typically happens everytime i do a GP update is what i feel, coz the problem occurs after the GP update. 

I have done everything possible at my disposal and the last thing that i am going to try now is adding a switch to my router and connect both the Host and Target together to the switch insted of connecting both to the router (currently) via LAN cable.

Is anyone here having this problem similar to mine. Kindly assist. 

As a last resort, i have just got a simple switch and now i have the main router connected to the switch and my Target and Host PC connected to the switch. Dunno if this will solve the issue as the last thing i suspected here was my router. Hopefully now diretta does not crash but i shall keep posted here. 

After adding the switch its been sometime now and Diretta has not Crashed.. so i think it was the router kicking out one of the devices maybe :).. anyway, ill wait for some more time and see ..

Thanks for looking!!1