IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, further said:

In trying to order both opticalRendu and opticalModule without power supply, I get a message that the opticalModule without power supply is unavailable.  When will this be available?

Thanks

Since we are getting close to shipping these we might open up sales on both this week. 

1 hour ago, BahamaBob said:

For those of us that purchased an opticalRendu way, way back, somewhere in the dark ages, will we be given the option to purchase an opticalModule without shipping charges?

When we open up sales on the opticalModules this week you will be able to purchase one from the opticalRendu webpage without shipping fees imposed. Any cheaters will have their purchase refunded. 

7 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

How about those of us who upgraded Signature Rendu SE's?  :)

We are only able to offer the free shipping option on the opticalModule to those who purchase the opticalRendu at the same time because they ship from the same location.   

However, I think we can make some exceptions...just buy the unit and then email me.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

This should be understood as long as you have an opticalRendu ordered, doesn’t matter when, you’re good, and will get free freight on your OM. Correct?

What you’re trying to avoid is anyone purchasing the opticalModule as a single item, and think they get free freight.

Your answer in the other tread was not totally clear to me.

The website is clear and you can read between the lines.

On 5/13/2019 at 5:57 PM, iLguapo said:

Since the last deadline is now past are we to assume that the optical Rendu will ship in the next few days ?.?

We are close enough on this now that I won't make any more guesses on the ship date. The next update will be to notify you that the units are shipping. 

5 hours ago, incus said:

...direct server to Dac connection.

How are you doing this connection with an opticalRendu?

I'm also curious about the PS setup? Please keep in mind that the opticalRendu uses a bit more power compared to microRendu and ultraRendu. I would consult with you power supply specifications and with your DAC specifications. The following is from the opticalRendu product webpage:

• Power input: 2A peak current and 1.5A continuous current at 6-9 VDC output
  • Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1/LPS-1.2 power supplies - for use with USB devices that do not use USB bus power
1 hour ago, Mike Rubin said:

Just ordered the module without a power supply and the postage was a reasonable $8.75  to my US address.  Sure beats that $25 figure that was in the placeholder order link earlier this month!

We modernized the checkout process on our webpage and it calculates the shipping based on the weight and the actual service. There was a lot of work going on behind the curtains to make this product launch:) 

1 hour ago, incus said:

Sorry maybe I was not clear. I plan to compare the following: server direct to DAC vs. server through switch to SOtM renderer to DAC vs. server through switch to opticalRendu to DAC.

The DAC I will use to test does not use bus power so UltraCap LPS1.2 should work on the opticalRendu. I can test 7V and 9V. The others all have ample amperage. SOtM PS set to 7V or 9V. TLS LPS on 9V and Vinnie Rossi is 7V.

Sounds like a fun weekend project:) 9V is not recommended as the unit will run hot.  

On 5/24/2019 at 3:24 AM, Em2016 said:

Yes but my question to JR is if he can buy it, test it and then add to the approved list...

TP-Link stuff is widely available so it would be nice to have an approved option to pair with opticalRendu, if people cannot afford to add the opticalModule...

I'm not planning to buy a bunch of gear to approve it. Its fine that customer report things work here, but remember that customers don't always test things 100% so your results my vary. TP-Link has a lot of 10/100 speed gear in the wild and these will not work. You have to use 1000 speed gear and use 1000 speed SPF transceivers. I would at minimum buy the SPF transceivers and fiber optical cables we are selling so things go as smoothly as possible. 

9 hours ago, Foggie said:

Kinda lost track/missed the shipping announcement.  If I purchase one this eve can I receive it by the holiday wknd! 😀😉

The opticalRendu is in stock and shipping same day or next business day depending on the time of the order. 

9 hours ago, Superdad said:

I just measured the 5VBUS draw of my SU-1: 100mA.  So you are right at the limit of an UltraCap supply with the opticalRendu + SU-1.  You either need to get a VUBS injector for the SU-1 or use a different power supply for the opticalRendu.

We are not recommending a VBUS injector to our customers. The opticalRendu has an improved BUS power circuit compared to the microRendu and the ultraRendu and customers will want to take advantage of it. The recommended approach is to use a different power supply for the opticalRendu.  

10 hours ago, sahmen said:

First of all, I feel a little embarrassed having to ask the following questions, since they seem to concern things that most readers of this forum will already know.  However, I also know that the conversation about the OpticalRendu has been ongoing for a considerably long time during which pieces of knowledge or things initially taken to be factual, may have evolved, and that  idea tempers my embarrassment a bit, as I am looking for the most up-to-date info, and that is always a good thing.

With that said, if someone will humor me by addressing the following simple (some might say "simplistic") questions regarding the opticalRendu, while making sure everything that sounds too technical is  translatable from sonorespeak to averagejoe speak, their efforts would be highly appreciated:

I currently use an ultraRendu, which is powered by the Uptone Ultracap 1.2, and feeds a Schiit Yggdrasil analog 2. Now assuming I want to upgrade the same system by adding an optimally functioning opticalRendu system, in place of the ultraRendu, what exactly am I going to need, apart from the obvious opticalRendu unit itself:

Can I use my Uptone Ultracap LPS 1.2 unit to power the opticalRendu in this particular set up (opticalRendu to Schiit Yggy A2 via USB)?

Also On the opticalRendu page, I see the following accessories:

1. opticalModule,

2. SFP Fiber Transceiver

3. systemOptique Certified Fiber Optic Cable - 1m

I know the optical module (1)is yet to ship, but what does it (or what is it supposed to) bring to the table in the form of sonic enhancements that the opticalrendu does not already have?

Lastly do the SFP Fiber Transceiver (2) and the 1m Fiber Optic come already bundled with the opticalRendu retail package, or do they have to .be purchased separately?

If you are upgrading to an opticalRendu: You need a opticalModule to convert cable Ethernet to optical Ethernet. You need a fiber optic cable to connect the opticalModule to an opticalRendu. An SFP transceivers already come with the opticalModule and the opticalRendu. To be safe I would buy the SGC power supply for the opticalRendu. 

1 hour ago, cat6man said:

well, from Lehigh Valley they sent it to Philadelphia, then back to Newark at 8am this morning, giving me hope I'd get it today.

however after holding it all day in Newark, at 5:23pm today it was recorded as sent from Newark to Kearny, NJ........maybe everyone at usps has left early for the long weekend and they are shipping stuff around to get their desks clear and pass the potato

hopefully they won't keep it until after the holiday weekend.

KEY POINT:  those of you who have received your units, why are there no reviews of audio quality????????????

I would send you mine, but I don't even have one:) I just have a early prototype here for testing.

29 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Completely understand you don't want to buy all FMC's on the planet... but since you are selling the TP-Link SFP transceiver which I linked, I was hoping you could also test and approve it's own matching TP-Link gigabit FMC...

I understand you want people to buy your opticalModule but it might make the opticalRendu a little more affordable if you could test and  approve the matching TP-Link gigabit FMC:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/accessory/mc220l/

That TP-Link FMC looks fine to me and my guess is that it's going to work just fine.  

3 hours ago, incus said:

After some trouble-shooting issues with non-system optique certified SFP modules and fiber cables, I have been playing my oRendu nonstop since I got it on Thursday. Needed break-in time, for sure. Sounded thin off the bat. Now really starting to open up. To my ears so far it - like the SOtM renderer benefits from my tX-USBUltra but time will tell.. I feel I can begin by power supply tests over the weekend - but now I'm super intrigued by the new Sonore one! When will it be available?

I would not plug another piece of gear between the opticalRendu and your DAC or digital converter. This is based on what I know about the design of course. Adding more gear in between may change the character of the sound, but not likely for the better. This is not to argue your perception which matters and it's up to you either way.