IGNORED

Measurements & Sound Quality

Ralf11

6 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Stereo is a compromise.

All reproduced music is a compromise - I've never heard a playback that was truly indistinguishable from a live performance.  I've always believed that this is because intermodulation among all notes from all instruments being played is captured in every recording as part of the source waveform.  During playback, the original "natural" IM is created again, so there's twice as much being played back as was generated in the original performance.  And it's now intermodulating anew with the source signal to generate yet more audible energy that wasn't present in the performance.  I strongly suspect that this is what throws a sonic "veil" over all reproduced music and what keeps it from sounding truly live.

If you record a simple C major triad played on a perfectly tuned piano with the pedals up to damp the other strings, a spectrum analysis of playback will show a lot of energy at frequencies other than 262, 330, and 392 Hz (middle C plus E and G above it). Add the sums and differences of each combination of those 3 (62, 68, 130, 592, 624, and 722) to their own natural harmonics, and you already have a rich sonic stew in which many of the "ingredients" are not in the recipe and were never added by the chef. Any IM distortion added by the devices through which the signal passes on its way from source to sound is miniscule by comparison and, at least to me, immaterial because it's truly inaudible.

Then throw in phasing.  All of the harmonics and intermodulation products from a single instrument are produced with phase relationships determined almost entirely by the instrument and its player.  But the same C major triad created by almost simultaneous striking of 3 sets of piano strings by 3 hammers then passes through devices that add frequency-dependent phase shifts before throwing it back out at you as separate notes from multiple drivers, none of which has the radiation pattern of a piano.  It's not the same triad any more, and we haven't even started to throw in the environmental factors.

So I certainly agree that stereo is a compromise - but the entire process of recording and playing back music is a compromise in which the basic limitations seem to have no current solution.  The fact that so many systems are so good is a minor miracle :)

44 minutes ago, esldude said:

Yep that will work.  I've done this using 5 musicians close miked in a damped environment.  Then play back over 5 speakers.  It can have a sound that is very real.  It sounds real in your room, not so much real like where it was recorded. 

Isolating the instruments greatly reduces intermodulation between & among them, and a damped environment further reduces extraneous input from resonance etc. Playing each individual instrument, closely miked for recording to minimize bleeding, through its own speaker is the best way I know of to prevent intermodulation from contaminating the recording. It's closer to having the individual instruments in the playback setting.  That's why it sounds more like real instruments, but in the playback environment rather than the recording setting.