IGNORED

A (Slightly Early) Christmas DAC Story Part One

How long will it take your hands to chill down after death?

--------

I just got back from a drive (post oil change).  Because it is an old car with a primitive (but fun) suspension articulation, I have limited the power to wt. ratio to abou 8:1.  I have a dual outlet "cowhorn" type muffler as part of the audio system, but plan to add an amp to drive the Focal speakers I put in the doors some years ago.

Thanks.  That one has a few weeks left to run; I do see they are going for about that price in general.

I was just thinking I might get the soon to be released Yggy with an upgrade tho I'd like DSD.

What other DACs have you compared the Modwright Elyse to?

Thanks for the DAC info.

Is it legal to use a phone while driving?  In Oregon, you cannot use one for any reason now... (headsets ok).

You could just remove the amp(s) - the speakers aren't likely to weigh much - or remove any bass speakers.

What you really want is to recruit a guy named Gordon Murray to build you a car... he is working on a city car made of CF now tho.

The early Porsche 911 is not at a loss for high quality 1K or UD CF aftermarket options.  Trust me on that.  The issue is that to make CF durable enough for street use, it is as heavy as FG - lots of race CF parts can be had for my car.

You guys may enjoy some of the pics here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/273740-yet-another-boring-hot-rod-rgruppe-car-part-v-exterior-paint.html

esp. the one about whether to keep the steel front trunk lid...

part of the fun of an older car is fixing it up - either as stock, period-correct, or hot-rod (mine has a few hundred pounds removed and the hp doubled)

I suspect there will always be new cars with stick shifts but maybe not in the supercar range.  The Miata is a great little sports car and a lot of fun, tho I'd prefer a CF bodied update about the size of the Austin Bug-eye Sprite...

DSP allows good quality audio in a difficult space...

an EV can be manf. to outhandle any IC engine'd car - the center of mass can be made very low as the battery packs can be lodged in the chassis

I am surprised to hear the Tesla S did poorly on the North 'ring.  You can bet the forthcoming Porsche Taycan will handle well.

re: the quality of available gas in the future - and the present... this is a concern to me and one reason I twin-plugged my 911 motor and kept the compression ratio under 11:1

I keep thinking I could mold or 3D print some tweeter enclosures that fit right into the corner of the windshield at the A pillar ..

it is advancing very quickly, really

look at how fast virology advanced after HIV - when you throw a lot of money at something, rates generally increase

but the real question is "every day usage" by who...  EVs need to get cheap for masses of people to buy them, tho the AV can make lots of people buy them quickly

Like the man said "The future is already here, it just isn't evenly distributed."

27 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

I have to say I'm impressed. Other than the single, original reply from Doc  relating to my story, you've gotten this all the way up to three pages, and counting while discussing but cars.....amazing! :)

so... blazing acceleration?