IGNORED

Increased Shipping Rates from China

Trump plans to withdraw from a postal treaty that has allowed Chinese companies to ship small packages to the U.S. at a steeply discounted rate.  Thanks, Donald!

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

What would that (discount) rate be ?

The rates are in the Universal Postal Union treaty, I haven't looked up the details.  Apparently, China and other developing countries have since 1969 been assessed lower rates than wealthier nations.  It is cheaper to ship from Beijing to New York than it is to ship from San Francisco to New York.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

• 6 months later...

Have a look at tomorrow's financial headline.  Trump says the US will increase tariffs on $200 billion of Chinese goods from 10% to 25% next week!  Thanks, Donald!  S&P futures are currently down 50 points.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 12:38 AM, rickca said:

This is about as radical as it gets

I stand corrected.  Trump just announced tariffs up to 25% on imports from Mexico.  This is supposed to fix illegal immigration!  Thanks, Donald!  I'm sure we'll get that new trade agreement with Mexico now!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/stock-futures-tumble-as-trump-slaps-tariffs-against-all-imports-from-mexico-2019-05-30?mod=mw_theo_homepage

I guess I better take it easy on audio purchases.  A lot more of my money is going to pay for tariffs on my clothing (China) and produce (Mexico).

• 2 months later...

So now Trump plans to put a 10% tariff on the remaining $300 billion of goods the US imports from China.  This includes sneakers, consumer electronics and toys.  Effective 9/1.  Merry Christmas, Donald!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-overruled-his-advisers-on-new-tariffs-against-china-2019-08-04?mod=mw_latestnews

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This Barron's article gives a little more detail about the prospects of the USA leaving the UPU.

https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/universal-postal-union-upu-vote-on-international-postal-rates-us-withdraw-51569415835?mod=mw_latestnews

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

I would like to read the full article. But Barron’s is a subscription site so it only allows me to see the opening paragraph. :(

Here's an even more current update.  The US will remain the in UPU after a compromise proposal was adopted today.  However, it looks like the USA will now be able to set its own rates beginning July 2020.

https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/universal-postal-union-vote-down-proposal-shipping-rates/563667/

21 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Hey, when are you guys finally get rid of this idiot ?

Easier said than done.  There is no way the Republican-controlled Senate will remove Trump from office, regardless of impeachment.  And the rich guys who fund things like political action committees are terrified by wealth taxes of up to 8% being proposed by some of the Democratic presidential candidates to pay for social programs like universal healthcare, universal child care and free college tuition.

OK now this tariff thing is spreading to US/EU trade.  Everybody knows that tariffs work, right?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/02/malmstrom-retaliatory-tariffs-on-us-possible-before-boeing-ruling.html

This is supposed to help the Uighurs as well, but it looks more like another aspect of the US/China trade war.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-to-blacklist-chinese-artificial-intelligence-companies-2019-10-07?mod=mw_theo_homepage

Here's a warning about the impact of the trade war from the new managing director of the IMF.  I guess they don't cover this on Fox News, so Trump won't get the message.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trade-war-could-cost-global-economy-700-billion-by-2020-new-imf-chief-says-2019-10-08?mod=newsviewer_click