IGNORED

Qobuz in US: When?

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Guys...  Sublime+ is priced exactly the same as Studio, but you're paying for it at one time instead of monthly...

300 / 12 = 25

Pay the extra 50 bucks/Euros and make that back in savings on music.

Unless you pay for Studio annually (and never buy downloads); then it's 249.

Nouvelles_Offres_Press_EN-810x345-1160.thumb.jpg.8b250ed1da1d4c14f565cf55cebdaf35.jpg

Qobuz-new-UK.thumb.jpg.59fcbfff31ceb39fb7a051b3ac479646.jpg

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

42 minutes ago, yaslam said:

I noticed that Qobuz's US download store has been added. Was the service officially launched in the US?

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/shop

Nice to see visible proof of progress! I keep hoping I've somehow missed the official launch announcement, but no, on that page if you click on "Streaming Plans" you'll get a big "404". 

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, cjf said:

it seems none of these online services gives a hoot about publishing/listing provenance data on the version of album they are selling/streaming.

Agreed. That mess drives me crazy. I was very happy to see Tidal has started displaying original release dates, while tacking on the re-release/re-master dates in the titles if needed.

Tidal:

tidal-release-date.thumb.jpg.c96783a82c0b7f9d5410b63532ab7bbd.jpg

Qobuz:

qobuz-release-date.thumb.jpg.00c3ff1e3d52333fe74c4fd96a60e8d9.jpg

I'm sure the Qobuz people have every intention of catching up with Tidal on this when they can. I hope they all add more provenance information as time goes on.

11 minutes ago, rickca said:

I hope the delay of the Qobuz USA launch isn't just because Roon integration isn't ready.  If you were a Qobuz executive, would you launch without it and just announce an availability date for Roon integration?

We may never know the reasons for that decision, but I perceived a number of other issues as their original launch date approached, including poor machine translation of French content, deficiencies in search and cataloging very important to audiophiles, and the bogging down of their network/servers for the first time since I subscribed as global usage increased.

Reviewer and user complaints about any one of these things, including lack of Roon integration — or poorly implemented Roon integration — could cause a large number of potential customers to hesitate and then, due to inertia, never sign up.

So yes, given how important Roon is to their most profitable tiers, I might have waited, especially in combination with those other problems. But I haven't seen their numbers, and I'm not going to tell them what to do. Except when I do. ?

25 minutes ago, Ran said:

How many people use Roon that is it that "important"? The UPnP implementation within the Qobuz app is much more interesting as it opens up the possibilities of streamers that can be used. I like to think there are more UPnP users out there than Roon users. 

That may well be, but Roon users tend to be very vocal and are opinion leaders for the most profitable segment. UPnP is also important to the launch, IMHO.

Personally I use neither UPnP nor Roon. I use the Qobuz plugin for LMS/Squeezebox Server more often than the official Qobuz app, my equipment is midrange at best, and I am not planning to subscribe to Roon anytime soon. But I do hope to see Qobuz integration with Roon so they can match Tidal, and completion of the UPnP feature so they can surpass Tidal in that area rather than only matching them in the much more basic Cast support.

I feel all of these things I have mentioned in this and previous posts are essential to the success of their launch. First impressions will matter a great deal, and will haunt the internetz for a very long time.

@TubeLover I believe you can also stream Qobuz (and Tidal, without MQA) through an ultraRendu using:

* BubbleUPnP on the ultraRendu and the Linn Kazoo controller app on another device, or

* Squeezelite on the ultraRendu and LMS (Squeezebox Server) on the sonicTransporter, with any compatible controller app including a web browser.

I subscribe to both Qobuz and Tidal, and use the LMS/Squeezelite solution to stream Hi-Res from Qobuz and CD-quality from Tidal all the time. Also the Radio Paradise FLAC streams, and lots of other good stuff.

8 hours ago, Chiller said:

Hey Left Channel - Happy New Year! - I'm interested to know more about LMS/Squeezelite and the Radio Paradise Flac streams. Any way to feed my Lumin D1?..... still waiting on Roon for this...

And HNY to you! Maybe there's a way. At minimum you can listen to a lower-res Radio Paradise "Main Mix" stream using the TuneIn app on the D1. But you probably already knew that. Other than the official RP single-device web and mobile apps, LMS is the only way to get all the RP streams and get them in CD-quality FLAC, and it will serve them up on your network.

You'd need to install LMS (it's free) in a computer, add the Radio Paradise plug-in and the UPnPBridge plug-in, and then hopefully LMS will find the D1 as a UPnP player on your network. A lot will depend on Lumin's UPnP implementation, but you may be good-to-go, and could control playback from your phone or tablet.

I recommend you also install the Material Skin plug-in; it really updates the interface on both the desktop and the mobile web app. No Squeezelite needed in this case. Want to try? 

RP-streams.thumb.jpg.07d713ec1585ce336c35fc395468ce10.jpg

11 hours ago, wklie said:

Please try Radio Paradise on an Apple device then AirPlay to Lumin.

So the RP iOS app via AirPlay to the Lumin? @Chiller if you try that please let us know how it sounds. AirPlay decodes the FLAC into its own format before transporting, ruining Hi-Res files, but they claim it performs equivalent to 16/44.1 CD-quality and I'm always curious how the result sounds to people.

26 minutes ago, exdmd said:

There is a Qobuz signup landing page confirmed working for US residents at https://www.qobuz.com/nl-nl/discover

Just click the 'Try For Free' button. Maybe it will continue working for a while longer:)

Odd. The "nl-nl" indicates Dutch-Netherlands. As opposed to en-US for English-'Murican.  And yet it's all in English and worth trying.

1 hour ago, exdmd said:

No longer working though they closed the loophole. You were also able to get in for a few days by going to the main Qobuz Facebook page first then clicking the first link shown but that too no longer works for US IP addresses.

😞  Oh well. Based on @yaslam's post, they may still be working on US licensing anyway. I am willing to bet that situation will improve.