IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

Big clue: "only omni-directional speakers have this ability" is nonsense - they just happen to be able to present the contents of recordings in a manner such that human hearing has an easier time getting past the leftover anomalies.

Explain in objective terms why this happens. There is a reason, and with the 35 years and carnal knowledge you posses, maybe you can show/teach Toole something about sound reproduction. Maybe all of as well....

3 hours ago, Confused said:

"sorting" per the fas42 method

Confused,

I am asking you only to describe "exactly" what this "method" is? No generalizations.. Based on this regurgitated reply, I'd like to hear what someone else may take from this thread, or are, as most think, this just a thread for casual entertainment. Lets see if Frank can keep out of this for your sake. 

Describe what you can take and apply to your system after 102 pages at this site... and then let us know if this has already been applied or explained from another person or site. Is this then Franks magic, or someone else's..

Has someone engineered a solution to the various aspects Frank speaks of, or are these original ideas from him?? 

Confused,

Thanks for the reply. I was not trying to corner anyone in providing a difinitive answer. I am trying to see if/what others may be taking from this thread to apply with thier sysyem. 

You and I seem to be on the same page with REW, room interaction, phase response, etc. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'd like to hear from others regarding thier takaway. 

23 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Why most high end rigs do a bad job is that they don't extract enough from the disk, and they then add too much of their signature distortion to that.

Maybe everyone should buy a $450.00 Edifier system, a 100ft extension cord, some free newspapers for the speakers, and a Aldi CD player as you have, and find bliss... 

5 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Here, I understand we are talking about an "approach" in very vague terms, without reference to ANY components, and without any collective/shared listening sessions. No wonder this  is going nowhere... 

Yep, and this where I asked Frank if anyone can vouch for the improvements he suggests made. Vague indeed, considering the claims made, and nobody has heard this to verify. 

14 minutes ago, fas42 said:

This is always a silly 'argument'

It is always silly to the guy who cannot provide anything to substantiate the claims being made. It is just your way to deflect the fact that there is no magic. 

14 minutes ago, fas42 said:

she threw in that a couple unknown to us were renovating a home, wanted to put in a music room - and were inspired enough by her description of what she had heard, that they were serious about commissioning me to 'do' that room

One look at your room for audio and I suspect they would run for the hills...😁

2 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Another suggestion. It is hard to follow a thread of 102 pages, without an index to the more relevant posts. Since you have your own blog, perhaps you could use it to illustrate some of your recommendations. It would be easier to follow, and you can always link back to your blog  entries in this thread. 

Nobody looks at Franks blog, and the hits are not there, so it does not stroke Franks ego like this one. If there are no hits on this one, Frank comes along and posts to himself to move it back to the top. 

17 minutes ago, hopkins said:

This has happened to me a few times, especially when demoing components in other systems. It is really irritating. This is why I prefer to demo components in my system, in a fully "controlled" environment, even if there are limitations (speakers, room, whatever). 

I would agree that even this situation you state, is better than hearsay.. At least you would be trying to have others listen to the replay, based on another set of ears. 

5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

But, it is interesting how people in your part of the world use this particular method of being negative ... I always find it rather bizarre,

Nobody is being negative Frank, just truthful. 

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Unless you get feedback, it becomes less interesting to pursue an activity where responses help to move things forward ... it's just how us humans work ...

Excuses are like A$$holes, Everybody has one, and they stink like $hit. If your blog was convincing of your magic, there would be a higher hit count... Truthful or negativity Frank??

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, fas42 said:

Note, I was talking of the physical size of the gear - humongous speakers, monster power amplifiers; that type of thing ... I was reacting to someone's call that one needs "size" there, to get competent SPLs.

There are times when large/powerful amps are needed for a reason to power large speakers. In this particular instance, the Kappa 9's impedance dips below a 2 ohm load. The Kappa 9's are amp eaters and I chose the Bryston 7BSST x 4 amps to drive them. The amps then powered the RS1B and the Genesis 2's. In a room that is 15 x 35, your Edifiers are going to be pushed much harder than the larger speakers for a given SPL.  The harder you push the Edifiers with the internal class D amps, the more distortion they will produce. 

On 4/1/2021 at 5:13 PM, fas42 said:

An interesting thing is, that visuals seem to be so important for many people - and the simple, "Size matters!" philosophy applies ... haven't found this to work once, for me... 😄. The rule of thumb has usually been, the bigger it looks, the worse it's gonna sound, 🙂.

Another interesting note is how you "think" that everyone who has large speakers has no clue what they are doing. You haven't found it to work for you, because you NEVER purchased Wilsons, Genesis, Infinity, Wisdom, Magico or others. Go ahead and backpedal that you wouldn't buy them regardless. It's your demeanor that pushes people away. Maybe they like the visual looks of their speakers as part of the room decor. So, if they look good, and sound good, what's the big deal?? We don't care what your opinion is of our gear, nor do the MAJORITY of us follow your line of "repeated" illogical posts.

With a 19 (Frank) to 4 (others) post response from you on this page alone, it appears you have some psychological problems. 

Have fun and enjoy the music.

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

So, my "demeanor" developed from real life experience ... which runs counter to what most people are biased towards thinking

Your real life experiences do not dictate the performance of speakers others own. Whether you like them or not is irrelevant to them. The setup can vary widely from one system to another, and influences the replay. Your word is not the final say on any speaker system over your 400.00 Edifiers. 

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

It seems you haven't worked out yet that this thread is a convenient spot for me to effectively run a blog, where I can drop in thoughts upon what contributes to, or inhibits "Stereo Magic" - the title of the thread ... 😉

You don,t own the thread, Blackmore does, and your own failed blog is testament that few people follow your illogical blather. Same canned reply over and over in this thread or others. 

As stated, with a 19 (Frank) to 4 (others) post response from you on this page alone, it appears you have some psychological problems. 

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, fas42 said:

Just fired up the Edifiers, after much cursing from the awkwardness of working in the tight space that the internal wiring afforded me, bypassing the mains on/off switch - ahh, good sound ... welcome, dear friend! ... Bit of Brendel recorded in the early 60's - piano, as piano should sound ...

Must have been that stupid switch you bypassed. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Just an example of recordings which are marginal in their technical quality - which can very easily sound 'orrible; but if replayed very accurately, fully and satisfyingly present all the qualities that matter - the artistry and musicianship of the people involved.

Oh wow. 

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

Which is my point. The YT version sounds poorer, but what I have is that precise capture - the bravado of the backing band can rip your ears off ... but get the reproduction spot on, and the miracle happens - the power and energy of the performance works its magic. If you have not experienced a setup that is sufficiently refined to pull it off, then you will probably never understand what's going on ...

You bought some 400.00 speakers, pulled them out of the cardboard box and think you have something special going on. Priceless or mindless. 

9 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Right, we're back to, "It has to be really expensive, or made by a really special company!" territory again, are we?

Nope, just someone who has deluded himself into thinking what he has is superior or special to the other 30,000 sets of edifiers out there. You aint got nothing going on with them that others have not already accomplished. You always have the same fallback excuse of other peoples choices they make.  The Edifiers aren't making a silk purse from a sows ass. Give it up.