IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

How it apparently works - and this is something I also find fascinating - is that you are listening to two separate sound events: the actual musical event that was recorded; versus, all the additional crap, coming from every defect and poorly executed manipulation, and shortcoming, in  the recording and playback chains. The aim of the game is to do everything in one's power to reveal every last skerrick of "the actual musical event"; with, absolute minimal additions in the playback side of the equation. The remarkable thing is, I find, that if executed well then the musical event scenario achieves ascendency in one's subjective focus - that's "what you hear" - and all the rubbish that doesn't belong to that event recedes to the background - in fact, it requires quite a degree of deliberate effort to make oneself aware of the technical issues; that stuff "is not important" at that moment of being engaged with the music ... you don't hear it being a "poor recording".

Like wishful thinking really.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MrD said:

Frank, I always look at the signal path and how that can be improved upon.  For deades studio engineers always rack mounted their equipment and bonded the equipment together and tied the rack to mains ground. Now the IC that carried audio signal is tied to the chassis ground along with the internals. So in this configuration all current interference is removed to chassis ground.

in a non commercial setting the rack mounting and bonding and tying into mains ground is not generally done. Relying on the internal ground scheme and the audio signal interconnects to remove all the current leakage and interference. This method is wholly lacking because it cannot remove what is necessary. Even if one spends a fortune on cables that separate interference from signal that will never address the the leakage created that the IC cannot remove. You need to create a parallel circuit tied to chassis ground and to mains ground. Only then can the audio signal be interference free.

I see what you describe as equipotential bonding. There are bonding straps that cater for higher frequencies and normal wires for LF that create a neutral voltage between the chassis of components. This can be measured with a decent DMM to confirm. 

The chassis frequency needs to be known to select the correct braid and then wire. 

The aim is to create a lower impedance path for unwanted currents to flow across the bonds, rather than the signal leads, I understand this very well, see the practice nearly everyday on industrial equipment. The difficulty is that consumer audio has hardly any bonding points (Lumin comes to mind that does) and adding them later is a challenge to keep the original finish intact for possible resale.

No current goes to ground, a small correction there, since the impedance of the ground is high to small but annoying noise, the noise travels back to the source; that’s how currents work regardless of frequency.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...