IGNORED

cheap/chinese LPSU's - minefield?

7 hours ago, jabbr said:

I do do love the Salas Shunt for analog and Reflektor-D for digital and if anyone wants to build, the boards/kits are available through DIYAudio.com 

While I have used Salas' shunt regulator designs quite often (and they are excellent) I would not really recommend them for things like a computer server, or a renderer, as these devices have a very wide range of current consumption, where they may require a very high initial current to boot up, and then the current use drops way down.  With a shunt you have ti set the CCS high enough to meet the boot up current demand, problem being that when the current use drops the heat level goes way up.  While it is possible to use them for this, it will generally require enormous heatsinks to keep things from releasing smoke.

IMO a better option for powering these types of devices is a linear-series style reg, like sigma 11, etc.

As to the meaning of "open source" my understanding is that for AMB designs, this means they are free to use for individuals, but not for commercial purposes.  Considering the effort put in by the designer in maintaining the website, designing and selling PCBs, and the very, very detailed instruction and support provided there, if it is not illegal to copy their designs, it is certainly very bad form and to be frowned upon.

Now I do not subscribe to the life approach "if I get away with it is OK", I know some people do that, but we should all be better humans than that.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

?? your avatar shows a snowboard on your back, and you live in a high avalanche area

Sounds off topic, but yes, i am an avid backcountry snowboarder and I deal with avalanche risk evaluation and avoidance on a regular basis.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 minutes ago, jabbr said:

What evidence do you have that they copied the AMB design? Why are you saying that

Perhaps i am mistaken.  lookandlisten described the circuit as sigma11 in this thread, if it is not then that is another thing.

I am well aware of the Chinese tendency to revise engineer most of the designs which come out of China, everyone in the industry deals with this on a regular basis, so if it is a direct copy I am not surprised, but perhaps I misunderstood lookedlisten's post.

I have also seen the notifications at AMB labs' website warning of the clone PCBs available on eBay.

SONORE computer audio

23 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

well done, sounds like you are a rescuer?

No, I ride in the backcountry two to three days a week and this requires constant evaluation of the snowpack, weather, etc.  And of course in the event of an accident, I become the rescuer (or the victim, as the case may be) it is up to the individuals of the team to self rescue, waiting for outside rescue in avalanche burial = body recovery.

Sorry for the OT folks, back to your usual programming!

avy.jpg

CL.AVY.BW.jpg

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Right but consider this: https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/4a/5d/02/fb481b20f81835/US5955915.pdf

patent from 1999

(including figure 2 which is prior art)

I am just going to respect this statement printed at the AMB labs website:

"Copyright © Ti Kan, 
All rights reserved. Commercial use of this design is prohibited without prior permission."

I understand that similar (but not identical) circuits have existed for a long time, still, it would appear to me that marketing a commercial product as sigma11 is in direct violation of the above, at least in spirit if not legally.  The violation of that spirit alone is enough for me to accept that it is wrong.

SONORE computer audio