IGNORED

Is this website about "computer" audio anymore?

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

I wasn't talking about an optimised streamer. You appear to believe that most members feel the need to stream Audio through the whole house, at the control of a remote button push..

This may apply to many of the frequent posters, but I doubt that it applies to the general readership..

Many simply want high quality audio directly from a PC or Laptop into a decent DAC, without having to rummage through numerous CDs etc. stored in the " mancave" or wherever.

This is possibly the point the OP was trying to make ?

I'm not telling anyone what they have to do, rather making a statement about an PC server, and in the larger context, discussing they way I (and others) have found to organize one's media in a central location, searchable without rummaging, nor loading CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays etc, and accessible for listening or viewing, not only in a "mancave" but both around the house as well as wherever you are.

In 2018, computers and computer audio, mean computers connected by networks, and audio over networks. The isolated non-networked PC of today is essentially the same as the CD player of 1984 (or whenever those archaic times were ;) )

The OP wants to talk about computers (and by extension networks), right?

But by all means use whatever media you prefer ?‍♂️

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, Teresa said:

Hey, I'm a subjectivist audiophile / music lover and I would still be using the built-in DAC in my Mac Mini plugged directly into my pre-amp using a Monster Cable mini stereo to R+L RCA cable if Apple would have included DSD playback. They didn't so I had to get a Teac DSD DAC instead for DSD music files. I am most interested in SACD and DSD. 

Apple has targeted the convenience/quality ratio toward maximal uptake, and is perhaps singlehandedly responsible for popularizing (not creating) moving songs off of plastic discs and onto computers/ipods as well as the ability to purchase and download songs (at the time Amazon had already (largely) killed off stores that sell CDs.

So the mini can be either a music server or streamer, likewise the mac book either a server,streamer or controller.

Airplay, Airport Express, Mac Mini etc etc etc maybe not the very first, but brought it to the masses.

https://www.wired.com/1996/12/esgage/

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

as I said a few days ago, some thought needs to be given to noise generated by the decoder of the WiFi or optical signal, as well as noise generated inside the DAC box itself; then there is the analog output stage of the DAC...

Of course. These are all part of a DAC which needs to be designed for audio.