IGNORED

AyreWave- A New OSX Audio Player Released AT RMAF

Lars

iTunes is just a front end for QuickTime. The QT engine has some definite bugs. If you start with an uncompressed 24-bit file and convert to ALAC (Apple Lossless) everything is OK. But take the same file and convert back to the original format (WAV or AIFF) and it is truncated to 16 bits.

I found this out the hard way and lost dozens of DVD-A's that had been carefully ripped to my hard drive. This is when you want to start one of those "Things I Hate About Apple" threads...

Now I keep an external hard drive formatted in FAT32 (which can be read by both OS X and Windows). When I need to convert something, I put it on that drive and use dBpoweramp to convert. It's not free, but it works perfectly for me.

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

I agree Charlie, dbpoweramp is a great program. Unfortunately, AW doesn't read the data with files converted to WAV using dbpoweramp.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

OK guys, now I'm confused.

iTunes doesn't do the job, or at least do it right. I just discovered even more problems with metadata in the latest version while checking this whole thing out. Grrrr....

But... I just downloaded a sample wav file from the 2L web site. I then converted it the file to aiff format and added album artwork as well as metadata to it using Max. It loaded into AyreWave just fine, with all the information showing perfectly. It even played nicely.

What am I doing wrong??

Was it higher rez than Red Book?

Maybe I don't know how to add the metadata with Max?

However, I'll never have metadata for the 2,500 LP's I'm halfway through archiving (eight years into the project).

If you'll PM me with an email address I'll set you up to try a few iTrax 24/96 wav files.

Thanks,

John

There may well be some basis for why a 96 KHz 24 bit wav file might sound different than a 96 KHz 24 bit aiff file of the same source material.

The basic difference for the data in these formats is that a wav file is formatted to be little endian while aiff is big endian. Best to look up what that means if you're not familiar with the terms.

If you subscribe to the idea that the least processing needed for the data gives the best audio system performance, then reducing the need for converting between the two formats for your computation system and DAC could favor one file type over the other. Of course, that's a pretty wide set of criteria since there's so many different possibilities with all the permutations.

"It is a nice sounding player, I prefer it to PM, but Imho Amara knocks it into a cocked hat."

And this comes from an Amarra dealer.

Thanks

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

Actually, I announced AyreWave to everyone. With your logic, that now makes me an AyreWave schill.

You're a nice guy Keith, but let's not be silly.

The version I have, Amarra Mini 2.0.1 is not up to PM1.65a imo, much less "knocks it into a cocked hat". I like the Ayre Wave a lot.

Steve

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

Does anyone else still get a clicking sound when using USB connection? However, there is no audible click using toslink.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

I could not find an issue tracker for AW so posting here.

I am still finding intermittent problems with the sample rate changing in a playlist with tracks of different sample rates.

Supporting Info

1) Using hog mode and memory play.

2) The playlist is large (about 3 gig)

3) It always gets the first track right.

4) The hi-res tracks are in WAV and the redbook are in AIFF.

5) If I stop and start a track that is playing in the wrong sample rate with the stop and play buttons, it will pick up the correct sample rate on restart of the track.

6) If I grab a subset of tracks with mixed sample rates from the same playlist, the problem goes away.

I am really liking the simple user interface and sound. I also like the idea of saving off a few playlists from Itunes and then keeping Itunes shut down.

I've been through the entire thread, and I'm sorry if I have missed something. Isn't AW compatible with Hiface drivers? I have just received an EVO, and it is sounding rather promising, but before I venture out into trying AW, I would like to be sure that there are no compatibility issues ...

Aside from that, from what I've been able to gather, AW is a stand-alone application, ie. it doesn't need iTunes. Is that correct?

It also seems that with AW, one can access the music library through a folder structure, which would be really helpful to me. This is how I currently access my music with Squeezeserver, and although I plan to get all my music files properly tagged, I can't see when I'm going to find the time for that, so until then accessing through the folder structure is a viable alternative.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

I suggest you download AyreWave and try it for yourself in your own system.

You could learn more that way in 10 minutes (unless you are using dial-up internet access) than you could by any other means in a week. (No offense to the people who volunteer information here on CA...)

CG and IG, thanks. I'll give it a try.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Bottlerocket,

Could you describe what your DAC is, your computer, the operating system version, and the type of connection you are using? (Firewire, USB, etc. - no need to describe the cable and all, unless you feel it might be important). That could help with remotely diagnosing any problem.