IGNORED

AyreWave- A New OSX Audio Player Released AT RMAF

Lars

Whets the appetite for the PM integer mode version that is apparently on it's way. Or if there is a way of integrating the iTouch to AW that might be the deal. Lack of remote is a pain. Otherwise excellent, I like the simplicity.

Steve

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

Weiss DAC202 to Bel Canto Ref500 monos to Audio Physic Virgos or Weiss to Cary Xciter to Senn HD800's, Using PM exclusively for several months.

Very impressed with sound vs PM, sample rate functionally and hog mode working flawlessly.

Remedial problem: when I "add iTunes selection" only Title and Duration are being imported into AyreWave, no information for Album, Artist or Track is being imported.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'll buy it.

John

"Remedial problem: when I "add iTunes selection" only Title and Duration are being imported into AyreWave, no information for Album, Artist or Track is being imported."

Odd... I just tried importing well over a hundred tracks that way, and they all imported fine. iTunes has a number of ways to organize tracks; I wonder if that could be the difference.

Can you provide more details?

I think I can.

It appears that all Red Book CD's I've ripped import OK when iTunes has acquired all the album info.

However, most of my listening is to LP's I've recorded at 24/96 and manually entered all the "info" fields in iTunes, even though all of the same fields appear to be maintained they don't import into AyreWave.

Thanks

@Barrows:

dunno - I was aware that the 8741 had the filters but don't know whether Audio GD allow control - I'll investigate. I bought it purely on the basis of a mate's recommendation (he has a very resolving system and is a non bs sort of bloke - he lik me enjoyed modded Valabs often in preference to much more expensive dacs) - I actually know very little about the NB2. I do like Wolfson's chips. Dual 8741,discrete output stage and big beefy psu's are a good place to start in my books. I ordered the 96KHz sampling rate version with the DIR9001 receiver chip. The chip sits on a separate board with its own power filtering caps and a TXO clock. Interesting. I don't own anything above 24/96.

The top of the line Ref 7 is arriving in a few days to a friend - I look forward to hearing it.

Cheers

A

ps I 've reread my posts (scary that) and suspect I threw a bucket of cold water over the love in: apologies. I'm seriously glad that everyone else is loving it!

Best Wishes

Andrew

On OS X the hiFace driver has only the 32bit option I guess it's floating point? In this case the "integer playback" of AW doesn't work with it, does it?

I'm not familiar with the hiFace driver specifics, but some devices accept integer data low (or high) aligned in 32 bits. The best way to tell is to use HALLab, which is part of the Apple developer tools. Unfortunately there isn't a way to tell specifically which formats are supported using Audio MIDI setup. If you have HALLab available I can step you through the process.

It appears that all Red Book CD's I've ripped import OK when iTunes has acquired all the album info.

However, most of my listening is to LP's I've recorded at 24/96 and manually entered all the "info" fields in iTunes, even though all of the same fields appear to be maintained they don't import into AyreWave.

What format are the files? One possible cause is that iTunes has saved the tags in its local database, but not to the files themselves. Clicking the 'Add from iTunes' button only causes AyreWave to read tags from files directly.

Format = mostly 24/96 wav files I have recorded, but the same behavior exists with files downloaded from iTrax.

If one manually enters the info (often necessary), is there a way to save the info to the files themselves and not just to tags in the local database.

Or is there a way to get AyreWave to read info from tags.

I suspect my situation is not unique amongst audiophiles. I could live with with ability to "re-edit" in AyreWave and save the play list.

Thanks,

John

I'm willing to do a lot of things that are inconvenient if they produce an improvement in sound quality. For example, I am now cleaning my stylus with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pad after every play. Only doing so because it sounds better than anything else I have tried in the past. Same appears to be true with AyreWave. Not super convenient but after playing with it for the last 48 hours, it seems to sound a lot better than Amarra 2.0 (full version) and Pure music. At least to my ears. Tonally complimentary to my system, soundstage seems very focused with excellent depth. It has also improved the PRaT. I hope future upgrades only focus on convenience issues because I think the sound quality is pretty amazing. Best zero dollars ever spent on my stereo followed only by Mr. Clean.

Mike[br]Amarra Full Version 2.3.3 (Cache 2mb/Playlist)>OSX Lion/Jollyfast VNC>Mac Mini 2ghz 8gb>Halide Design Bridge>Benchmark Dac1>CJ 17LS>CJ MF2250A>Thiel CS1.6>REL R-205, PS Audio Quartet/P300, Nordost Heimdall/Cardas Quadlink.

Great explanation. Thanks.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

Need help. Have a Mac mini 2010 & EMU-0404 USB DAC. The EMU only has 32-bit support for Mac. The new player is 64-bit. It had been my understanding that Snow Leopard could run 64-bit apps in 32-bit kernel mode while running other 32-bit programs.

Ayre/Wave will not play this way. And the EMU won't in 64-bit mode. So now I'm at a stand still. For just a hot moment I did plug my cans into the rear of the Mac - too loud, too rough for listening.

I really want to use this player with my DAC. Any tips?

driven | by sound - \"bats & audiophiles\"[br]

other folks here know more about this than me, but I think your problem may be related to using wav files. My understanding is that wav files do not support the tags being embedded in the file. I always use aiff for this reason, and use Max to convert wav downloads to aiff. If you ever have to move these files around, and use a different computer, the tags will not go with them.

I would suggest archiving your LPs as aiff if you want the tags to be embedded.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Thanks for the pointer to the HALLab, I installed it and it reports that the hiFace Output Stream:

Virtual Format: Mixable 2 Channel 32 Bit Floating Point

Physical Format: Mixable 2 Channel 32 Bit Big Endian Signed Integer

So what could it mean regarding AyreWave's integer mode? I guess Physical Format is that counts...

? MBP ? M2Tech hiFace ? Heed Q-PSU/Dactilus 2 ? Heed CanAmp ? Sennheiser HD650

From the CoreAudio HAL doc, it seems a user level program (that is a standard application, not a kernel extension) can only output PCM data in 32bit floating point (the virtual format).

But it is the physical format that counts for the output stream to the sound card/DAC.

The trick is that the 32bit float is still composed of 24 "integer" bits (mantissa + sign bit, in addition to the exponent), so this enables bit perfect output for 24bit streams.

By setting the physical format, you can tell you card/DAC to switch to 16/24 bit mode (if it supports it).

From the HAL header file (AudioHardware.h):

AudioDevices contain instances of the AudioStream class. An AudioStream represents a single buffer of data for transferring across the user/kernel boundary. As such, AudioStreams are the gatekeepers of format information. Each has it's own format and list of available formats.

AudioStreams can provide data in any format, including encoded formats and non-audio formats. If the format is a linear PCM format, the data will always be presented as 32 bit, native endian floating point. All conversions to and from the true physical format of the hardware is handled by the device's driver."

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420