IGNORED

AyreWave- A New OSX Audio Player Released AT RMAF

Lars

audiozorro,

As you obviously know, the cMP/cPlay memory player is based on a different operating system. For OSX, I feel that more memory yields improved sonics especially for memory players like AyreWave and Pure Music. Pure Music does take things a bit farther by loading all the tracks of a selection for gapless playback into memory at once. The number of tracks loaded is limited by the memory available.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

I'm not a technician though and after burning my cd's to flac files I have a gap between all tracks. This is not an issue with most recordings but with live stuff it's a bit off putting. I converted with EAC on a windows laptop and play on a Mac mini.

Is gapless play something that should have originated in the ripping and conversion stage or is there something I can manipulate in AW? If so how?

Gapless is something that is inherent to the files themselves. FLACs, for example, contain a certain number of audio samples that were present when the files were first encoded. If the CD was ripped properly, queuing the tracks in AyreWave should result in the same playback experience- the last sample of one file should be immediately followed by the first sample of the next file. There are a lot of options for CD ripping and pregap handling- depending on where the pregaps were saved that could affect gapless sound.

As I mentioned previously, using memory play may affect gapless performance. The explanation is slightly technical, but here it is:

When AyreWave decodes a file, the audio data is converted from the file's format (FLAC, MP3, etc) to a linear PCM format and saved to a ring buffer. The ring buffer is of a fixed size and right now is set to 16384 frames. As one file finishes decoding, the next file is opened, parsed, and decoding starts. The process of opening and parsing a file takes some unbounded amount of time (the OS may have to mount a volume, allocate a huge amount of memory, or perform page-ins/outs depending on the system state).

IO in AyreWave is performed on a realtime, high-priority thread. This means that AW has to provide audio right now to the OS when it is requested. To allow this, files are decoded in one thread, saved to a shared ring buffer, and rendered (sent to the device) on another thread (the realtime thread).

So back to gapless- if the process of opening, parsing, and decoding the start of a file takes longer than the amount of data available in the buffer, glitching will occur. In AW this is silence perceived as an unwanted gap between tracks. Typically the process doesn't take too long- I chose the value 16384 after some trial and error. 16384 samples of audio at 44.1 is about 0.37 seconds. But, if you are listening to tracks at 88.2 the buffer duration is halved.

The typical process of opening a file is quick, because not much reading from the disk is performed. When memory play is enabled, though, the entire file has to be read from disk before anything else can happen. Depending on the file's size and the disk speed, this can easily take more than 0.17 seconds for a large 88.2 file.

There are workarounds for this, but no real solution.

For example, the buffer size can be increased. This will fix some problems for some people, but since there is no time limit on how long it takes to open files and allocate memory, it would not be a guarantee.

Reading the entire playlist in memory is not an option- many users have several thousand tracks in their playlist, and it is not possible to allocate enough memory to hold them all at once.

Try listening to your gapless files with memory play off- if that fixes the issue then the problem is not with the files themselves.

I occasionally see the artwork, but not always? What is the criteria? I have a cover.jpg file in every folder with the FLAC files, all of a small modest size, some show up, some do no

AyreWave only reads album art that is embedded in files. Right now it won't see art in external files like cover.jpg.

Sbooth: Thanks for the lengthy explanation on gapless playback. Perhaps it would be possible to only load complete albums into memory but not entire playlists?

I tested one of my examples. It played gapless in iTunes and in AyreWave with memory play turned off.

iMac/Wireworld Ultraviolet/Arcam rDAC/Blue Jeans LC-1/Audioengine A5

My music is pretty much all flac files stored in an external WD 1tb Hard drive which is connected with the USB cable that came with it to a 2010 mini. I believe that means it's USB 2.0?

Thanks CG for the reply and sbooth for all the detail. I finally understand what causes gapless playback. I'm thinking I should re-burn the live CD's.

Edit: I thought I should mention that the gaps between tracks range from less than a second to over 5 seconds preceding large files. I have AW set to memory play which I'm sure doesn't help the gap issue I'll turn that option off I guess.

I should mention again for the umpteenth time I love the sound coming from AW which in the end over rides all other considerations.

New Mini-8gig / Cambridge Audio DAC / Linn Kolektor pre amp / 2 active Linn LK140 amps / Nordquist Cables / Linn Ninka (aktiv) / APV H15 Line Conditioner

"I believe that means it's USB 2.0?"

This could be the problem.

If the files are taking a while to load from the WD into the Mini, you can and will get exactly this problem. The files have to load before playing when you're using memory mode.

You might try copying a couple of the problem files onto your Mini internal hard drive and play them through AyreWave from the internal HD. See if the problem goes away.

If the problem disappears, it means that either your WD drive is running as USB 1.0 for some reason, there's some kind of conflict because the USB is being shared with some other peripheral that is in the way, the drive setting is wrong (maybe it's set to go to sleep quickly), or the drive just is plain slow.

"Sbooth: Thanks for the lengthy explanation on gapless playback. Perhaps it would be possible to only load complete albums into memory but not entire playlists?"

Is how Pure Music deals with gapless memory playback; if an album is tagged as gapless in iTunes, PM will load the entire album into memory (this requires a lot of RAM-typically 4 Gb will handle all 16/44.1 albums, and some 24/96 albums, but 8 Gb is required for a lot of 24/96, and for everything above 24/96).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Has anybody with the AyreWave clicking problem found out anything more through their experiments?

How many folks are having this problem?

If you are having this problem, would you please list what kinds of software you might have loaded on the machine in addition to the usual Apple software? Especially Windows virtual machines like VM and Parallels...

Looks like the clicking is caused by a usb/bluetooth conflict. If your dac is plugged in via USB and you experience clicking in HOG mode, try using a different USB port. When i checked my system info, i noticed that my USB port was being shared with the Bluetooth USB Host Controller. When i plugged into a different port with nothing else on the bus, the clicking went away.

MacbookPro//PureMusic//USB//Benchmark Dac1Pre//RWA Sig30//VR4jr

I still get clicking in both USB ports but I am using a iBook. Thoughts? How can I check to see which port is the Bluetooth USB Host Controller shared one?

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

The clicking in AW is still occurring in exclusive mode. I experienced the clicking sound coming from having multiple devices on the same USB bus early on when setting up my IMAC. I have not experienced this type of problem in a long time, long before the introduction of PM when I started using PV. As best I can explain this is not the same type of clicking. What I hear is faint, in the background and random. I have tried AW with two different DACs, QB-9 and BM DAC1 USB, with multiple sampling rates with the same results, turn on exclusive mode clicking starts, turn it off and it goes away. Last evening I had a case where the clicking did not begin until over 30 seconds into the track. I have watched the Activity Monitor to see if anything would change when I went turned exclusive mode on and off and I cannot detect any differences. Hope this info is helpful.

A flaw in reasoning is a mistake in how conclusions are derived from assumptions, not a mistake in assumptions.

AB835

An iBook? As far as I know, iBooks only came with PPC processors.

AyreWave requires a 64 bit Intel processor (like a Core 2) to work.

As far as checking what your USB ports are assigned to, run System Profiler from your Utilities folder. Look under Hardware > USB. This is discussed in much greater detail in one of the other threads here on CA, but I forget just where.

Sorry, it's a MacBook with an Intel Core 2 Duo.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

I think I figured out why there is such a long gap between tracks in my system. I should have figured it out before but this evening when it took so long (at least 1/2 minute) to start the next track after a 20 minute piece. When earlier in the day the gap was far less than a second after shorter pieces.

The hard drive is going into sleep or standby mode so I'll go into settings and I feel confident it will solve the issue.

New Mini-8gig / Cambridge Audio DAC / Linn Kolektor pre amp / 2 active Linn LK140 amps / Nordquist Cables / Linn Ninka (aktiv) / APV H15 Line Conditioner

One could keep two tracks in the memory, the currently played and the next one. A couple of secs before the end of the current one, the next would be read into the memory. :)

? MBP ? M2Tech hiFace ? Heed Q-PSU/Dactilus 2 ? Heed CanAmp ? Sennheiser HD650

I concur for this technique: having two files loaded at a time.

A playing buffer, and a non-playing one.

The next file has plenty of time (playing time of previous track) to be loaded in the non-playing buffer.

This ensures gapless playback each time, even for slow network load, though it doubles the memory needed for memory play.

That's the method I use in a player I'm coding for my own tests. I can upload it on sourceforge if you're interested.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Where can I buy the 384/24 version??? I'll pay $500 for it!!!

Sorry, CG, I'm just teasing you!

I know that you were trying to make a point, but I think your example was a bit over the top. 99.9% of everything we all listen to (excepting Fred at AA) is just 44/16. But let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they are going to load a 96/24 album. Then they would only need 1.5 GB instead of 6 GB.

My opinion is that a player should try to load either:

a) A full album, or;

b) Two tracks in alternate buffers as suggested a couple of posts down.

I think most machines could do well with either approach. But then again, I'm not a programmer. I'm just a dumb analog hardware guy...

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

Well, you see, I think the big problem with modern DACs is that they do too much. They do all sorts of digital filtering (filtering in technical sense) on the fly. It might be far better to do all this off line and save the newly filtered files on hard disks, which are cheap. Then just stream this pre-filtered file to a DAC that only needs to perform the digital to analog conversion. No problem with async USB 2.0.

Nevertheless, I'm also on the lookout for even a 96 KHz 24 bit version of Gerald Bostock's composition.