IGNORED

C.A.P.S. v2?

katywu

• 5 months later...

Hey Chris - just a couple wishlist things for when you get around o CAPS2.

(1) Stream to Airport Express or some highly reliable software player.

Vortexbox, for example, will stream nicely to Squeezeplay, and allow an iTunes instance to stream shared files. However, this is really clumsy! And I have no idea at all what is really coming out of Squeezeplay!

(2)Remote control and then some.

JRMC has great sound, and streams to Airport Express units, amoung other things, but has, so far as I can tell, it has awful or non-existent remote control. Vortexbox has nice remote control, but won't stream to much of anything.

(3) Maybe solve 1 & 2 with a "remote CAPS player." If you can get the cost down to $100 - $200, that would work for me.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

• 4 weeks later...

Look at the configurations at

http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/ or

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/category=Extreme_Quiet_PCs.html -

they specialize in fanless. For a truly fanless PC you need to add heatsinks also, so it's quite a project.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I just finished building one using the HDPlex H5S box, which comes with a heatsink which dumps heat into the fins on the box ...

http://www.hd-plex.com/H5.S.html

I used a gigabyte H67 board with an intel i5 s2400 and silent 120w power supply, along with an SSD. There are no fans; it barely gets warm, and it works beautifully ...

except for the fact that currently the intel HD2000 graphics driver aren't supporting 3D graphics properly, so none of the 3D effects in J River work properly. Hopefully a driver upgrade will fix that. Theatre view works with antialiasing turned off. There's a thread running over in J River version 16 forum about it.

It was easy to build, looks like an audio component; is exactly the same width as my Marantz SA8004, and is completely silent.

There a quite a few miniITX boards which work in the box, and the support from HDPlex has been exemplary.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Update: Hi Guys, I have C.A.P.S.v2 99.9999% complete. I am waiting for a single part to come in from Korea. It's current being held in Customs in Chicago. I doubt the part will get here before my self imposed deadline of publishing the new build by Monday. I hope it will arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. Once I receive it I can pop it in the server, do some testing and reveal it on the site. The part I'm waiting for is not mission critical, but I really want this build to be excellent so I'm holding out.

So far the sound I'm getting is absolutely wonderful and the server's performance is miles ahead of C.A.P.S. v1. I can't wait to unveil it to everyone. Thanks for waiting.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This looks like a nice computer - thanks for your efforts, Chris. The PCI/USB trick looks interesting: will have to try me one of those! Not so sure about Win 7/64, DDR2 memory, or the on-board power, but the card might be a winner. Any drivers needed?

Presumably you're recommending USB to Whatever converters for coax, optical or AES/EBU output?

Upsetting computers since 1978.