IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

For myself this is new too. But being at the 3rd day yesterday, I noticed that with the very poor sound of CCR at Woodstock and the somewhat better sound from Hendrix, in both cases the drums sound so very realistic. You can hear the full body (shell) of the tom or snare. It just literally sings. Right through that poor sound quality. Amazing.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2019 at 11:19 AM, TheAttorney said:

It will become more pertinent as we get to 6... 8... 10 shields.

Would that be too far fetched?

Not with the kind of crazy guys we have around here 🙃

To me it didn't feel wrong either. Btw, right now the colors go from light to strong, White, Yellow, Red. With Black as the connection to the outer world (the connector's chassis).

Bit of a problem : you'd first need to know the colors before you can apply the 1,2,3.

Lush^3  ?

Actually we have all the materials to make the additional braids en insulation layers which is related to the wider diameters of the extra layers. I could have one operational tomorrow. But then what ?

Ah, listen myself first. 🥶

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 5 weeks later...

John, to me, myself and I, that configuration which is still shipped (for more than a year by now !) is the only one which does not show "anomalies" at the very end. All of the others (also my own) turn out to be gadgets, for me. They may show more bass, but in the end all turns out to be too bassy. They may show more fresh highs, but in the end it is too lean. A more wide sound stage ? in the end it is too flat. Etc. etc. etc.

XXHighEnd (developer)

Dear John,

Yes, your Lush^2 was shipped to you in this still (for me) best configuration.

A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W-R

You name that one yourself in your last email from October 2018.

PNF is a name given by other forum members, and stands for "Peter's New Finding". Google brings me to the page in this thread which mentions it :

On 8/18/2018 at 11:15 AM, PeterSt said:

Then ... since March 2019 people tend to like my new finding, commonly known now as "PNF" (Peter's New Finding). This is

A:B-W & Y-R, B:B-W. You see this below.

DSC01032b.JPG.45676e33cfbfc543aadaf4564311f470.JPG 

(don't be confused by the 8/18/2018, because that is the date of the first post in this thread, and the first post can be edited by its creator).

My own description of this one (somewhere in August 2018) :

This showed a super sound.
It completely changes the sound from a somewhat congested (too white) highs to ever so lasting colored cymbals. Btw, this is what I had in mind with it for a change (I found the highs too profound).
What came with it is a super fluid/liquid bass which sings and plays music. I actually never experienced the bass like that.

February 26, 2019, I used the "PNF" again, but merely to solve a for me not the best sound with a new processor I tried. My description:

I used it for the 12/24 processor which otherwise would not sound right at all. And now ? the very best !!!

June 14, 2019, I changed for the last time, and back to the one "with consensus" (the one still shipped).

After this, however, people started to tweak with the jumpers, and this came from that for myself:

This could be the first time that all the pins were covered with pins (or wires). I mean, I was always careless and lost a jumper – and I did not care much. BUT this alters the SQ. Say that a normally assembled jumper would be denoted by a j and a 90 degree twisted one with h (half-assembled), then this comprises this config :
A: B-W-Y-R-j-j, B: B-W-R-j-j-h
(I may change this notation as others work on it too).
The sound of this is a bit of “ouch” but I still managed for 3 weeks (see date below). Cymbals are very present but also very white. Not hurting, but very profound, giving the lot a clear character. It surely does not work for all music, but at least for hard-rock (like Deep Purple, J.Geils band) it worked out quite well (and my Ambient always works out).

Keep in mind : the real change in this by now most-often used setting, is that all pins supplied with jumpers.

I just looked what I currently use, and it is:

A: B-W-Y-R-x-x, B: B-W-R-x-j-j

Don't ask me the merit of this, because I don't recall making it like that and I didn't register it either. I must like the sound of it, because this must be so for months by now ...

Regards,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

Hey Roch,

Yes, that looks all right. But regarding what you quoted from my text, you would be having;

A: B-W-Y-R-h-h, B: B-W-R-h-j-j

(h = jumper sideways, j - jumper from pin to next pin).

Regards,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 hours ago, ray-dude said:

I removed the extra 4th shield layer and went back to JSGG360^3 (A: 1-2-3        B: 1-2-3).  While I loved the space and detail, it was came at the cost of some hyper reality on some recordings that I just couldn't adjust to.

2 hours ago, ray-dude said:

I still have no hypothesis for what is happening with 3 vs 4 layers.

Ray, I'm afraid this is too much of apples and oranges, because look at my description of the "cubed" configuration:

August 2, 2019 – It wasn’t registered, but for the past 10 days or so I tried the “cubed” version (from kurb1980), but in the end that does not satisfy. It is too loud and too messy (when loud). The cubed version would be :
A:W-Y-R, B:W-Y-R (no shields connected to the outside).
And so … back to the one with consensus again. (see above).

So to me, with what you compared, this is unrelated to a 4th shield per se, because the one with the 3 layers would be a config I'd reject.

But I'll have one made with a 4th layer soon. I suppose I won't be able to make real sense out of it, but we'll see.

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, feelingears said:

The lack of photos here, despite my urging Peter to do so, says something about its members, LOL. 😉

So if you apply a new configuration, I come over to make a photo of it for a free beer. Is that the idea ?

😊

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 7/2/2020 at 12:32 AM, feelingears said:

But it's the local "microbrews" like this one <https://reubensbrews.com/> that make it worth the trip.

We have them locals too.

image.thumb.png.07fe5e8c5517c59c7dc537672186aced.png

Very local actually. 🤪

XXHighEnd (developer)

14 hours ago, ConcreteCow said:

The vertical jumper of Peter's is on the outer edge whilst mine is on the inner.

Please notice :

I personally never experienced with the jumpers explicitly. This, while I sure did experience a difference (undoubtedly). Still I did not focus on it. Internally here at Phasure we don't have an annotation for the jumpers. However, I once did write out something for it (others did too), but I never experience(d) with it really. One thing resulted from this : the additional jumpers to experience with on your side.

The shipped configuration is what people by far use. This is disregarding jumper settings. So there is no "consensus setting" for the jumpers, within the consensus setting of the config itself.

Do notice that the jumpers imply additional antenna working. This goes both sides: emitting (could be bad) and absorbing (absorb it before it does bad things elsewhere). We do NOT know which (setting) causes which; we only kind of "know" it is about that (antenna) phenomenon.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 1 month later...

Dear people,

Recently I was asked by a (new) customer whether I'd had any nice alternative to the shipped configuration. I gave him this, including the shown text (which I registered almost two years ago for myself):

A: B-W & Y-R, B: B-W
This showed a super sound.
It completely changes the sound from a somewhat congested (too white) highs to ever so lasting colored cymbals. Btw, this is what I had in mind with it for a change (I found the highs too profound).
What came with it is a super fluid/liquid bass which sings and plays music. I actually never experienced the bass like that.

Mind you, this was my own only second configuration I tried back at the time (the Lush^2 being new) and most probably because I kept on trying new interesting configs, I never went back to this one.

But as it appears now, I should have !

On a side note, for well over a year I have been listening to the "shipped" configuration, we all by now know. So by now I am rather familiar with how this sounds, as do most of you (using that shipped config "with consensus"). Also, my Lush^2 should be more than well broken in, might that matter in the first place.

So my (personal) judgment relative to the "shipped" config:

- What the description above does not mention, is the actually tonnes of more bass this exhibits. That it also is a "good" bass is a nice pro and that it is so nicely fluid, remains. This is hard to describe in more detail. I mean, fluid ? what fluid. Ever back I worked with someone on a loudspeaker filter, but without the filter and natural roll off, he describe the sound as "warm piss". Well, it is something like this ...

- Along with it comes a punch which maybe too much lacks in the "shipped" config. Notice that you'd only recognize this after the change (read: it was OK already, but it could be quite better, as it appears).

- What I (internally) described from later tried configs, counts for for this config too: a degree of electrification. Though I'd like to literally call it like that, it is described more recognizable as "vibrant". However, vibrant is more a negative (in my book at least), while this is all about sheer energy. It gives a snare drum a reality ... unheard (these ears). It shows artists jumping up and down on the stage. It could even make Charlie Watts come alive.

- A bit of similar to the previous, is that this is so much more lively (full of life) compared to the "shipped" configuration, that the shipping configuration will sound dead in comparison, would I go back.

- You may not know the subject, but when reproduction is (so to speak) "too dead", a longer track is a little boring because of it. This is because of a lack of variation which inherently *is* there, but does not want to show sufficiently. Hence:

in the end there is much more detail because of the "singing" of the higher frequencies. So notice my "somewhat congested (too white)" remark in the lead-in of this post and envision the contrary. It is the now not-congested which does this trick. More open (and more vibrant, etc.).

There is just much more going on.

- Per definition you will not recognize your tunes from before; it simply sounds too different. This is a virtue in itself because you can re-listen all your goodies and be amazed.

... And it is for free, because you already have the cable ...

Do not hesitate to disagree or share your own additional findings.

Also try to qualify how important this change is, relative to e.g. changing the power amp - it is quite a similar drastic change (watch my words), us thinking that only electronics could imply such a change (listen and you will understand). But it is just a cable ... (and a digital one on top of it, which should not show any differences at all, right ? 😉)

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 1 month later...

All,

The A: B-W & Y-R, B: B-W I suggested on August 5, lasted all right for 2-3 weeks, but at second 1 my wife already complained about too much of highs. I tweaked and tweaked with other means but after two weeks I had to give up. That sound made me crazy (too wild or something and it couldn't be tweaked out).

After that I start to listen to A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y & W-R again, actually because someone asked me to ship his Lush^2 like that. Well, that one I really still like.

What occurs from it is the long lasting cymbals that keeps on keeping your attention, a nice natural sound and also a quite small depth (always close to the plane of the speakers). So yes, the depth keeps on occurring, but each and every time it gave me the idea that this was "natural" as such.

My original description of this as per Sept 1, 2018:

Best so far. Also see Phasure post on Sept. 2, 2018.
Very general key description : a lot of low highs.

image.png.82d9d51baac03cbdb3205aa58b936cd3.png

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there DrD,

I hope that to others this doesn't come across as some kind of hilarious story; I can easily recognize myself what you are talking about. For me myself it sneaked in along the process of improvement of the by now various Lush cables and of course their configurations, but as I have said elsewhere: I now seem to have troubles in hearing what's being said on the TV and the "stereo" is now so much the example of how voices etc. should sound.

9 hours ago, DrDetroit said:

I noticed that the black plastic (shorting?) tabs had (voltage?) numbers written on them (23, 25, 27).

We just had a good laugh over this, over here. I did not know this, so I looked at the two I have laying around from my own Lush(^3) and ... what !? the one has 25 imprinted and the other 30. So I asked the person who by now had 1000s of these put in bags and assembled (I only purchase them - haha) and the answer was "Oh yeah, I know. I have no clue. In the same bag purchased various numbers are written on them".

I suppose the person who finds #1 can win a prize ! 🤑

9 hours ago, DrDetroit said:

Also, when sliding them on a singe pin as opposed to using them for two pins, does it matter which direction (left or right) they face or whether the top or bottom slot is used over the pin?

I am afraid that this matters, yes. BUT personal me did not get involved with this; it is others who (found out and) did, but it is too way out to incorporate that as well. Btw, I suppose that it won't make a difference in which direction you put them, but your mentioned top or bottom, will.

By nature we will put the bridge on the top. But mind you please, this is no "production rule" so they can just be there randomly. ... ... Btw, now I think of it, for years now we provide them with literal tabs on them, so they can't even be put upside down. Maybe you have them without tabs ? ... Anyway, I wouldn't be bothered by that. There's too many combinations already.

Btw, chances are fair that I misinterpreted you on the latter subject (top or bottom slot).

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, hykbooks said:

i have to reach out to the back of the dack and press at the usb cable until the windows recognizes it again. This has really taken it toll on me, any solution to this. 

Yes, that is frustrating of course.

It seems logical that the connector suffers a little from wear.

Can't you solve it by fixing the cable close to the DAC, somehow ? (I mean something like putting a brick on it so it can't move easily).

Similarly you could but a toothpick (the small tip of it) or something like that between the outside of the connector and the chassis-connector) in the DAC. Whether on top, bottom or either of the side, is to be tried.

What I would do as a first is forcing the cable itself side-, up-, or down-ways, so it "squeezes" in the DAC-connector.

I sure hope that you will be able to solve it !

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

10 hours ago, hykbooks said:

but from day one it was like that

In that case the receptor (DAC's inpout connector) has to be worn out. This happens very easily like this (but it is just a long shot !!):
You buy (or lend) a "decent" expensive cable; what a manufacturer may do is provide a larger connector (B side) so it sits nicely tight. Yes, but meanwhile a normal standard cable is too loose because of that. Again, it is a long shot.

What I already wanted to say yesterday is that by all means we are happy to put on a new B connector, for free. We can even go as far as applying the same as what I just told: make it somewhat larger (this is less than 0.1mm stuff). But the problem with this is the shipping costs. So you'd need to send it ($) and we need to return it to you ($$) which latter would even be 10 or so more than what we normally charge (because UPS is more expensive than what we charge).

... So that's why the advice to (try to) solve it differently. If that works you would be helped ...

Btw, there is no reason that pressing on the blue circled part would really do something internally, as the connections are more downstream (literally in the connector itself). But of course it would imply a small movement downward of the connector in the socket (is my thinking). Anyway, hanging a small weight on that position of the blue circle does not help ?

Just let me know what you like best. I only want to let it work for you. Really.

Best regards,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

Would your problem be solved if I send you a Lush^3 with 25% off ?

(this will only apply to you and not for 500 others who may detect a problem at pressing the cable - haha)

Please say Yes only if you considered the Lush^3 already (read: I am not trying to talk you into it).

At least you would have that in a couple of days (maybe even this week).

If you want this, just order it, and I will return the 25% (over the cable) instantly.

XXHighEnd (developer)