IGNORED

John Atkinson: Yes, MQA IS Elegant...

13 minutes ago, Jud said:

Thanks John. 

You're welcome.

I'm confused about the mention of a non-ringing filter as both something available in the QA-9, and something not available to Ayre owners, and would appreciate if you could clear that up.

The QA-9 is a now-discontinued A/D converter that used a moving-average filter (12 samples at a time IIRC) at its 2Fs and 4FS rates. My article shows that while the QA-9's Measure anti-aliasing filter is a (short) minimum-phase type, the Listen filter produces a impulse response, examined in the digital domain, with no ringing before or after. The Ayre D/A converters don't have such a filter; while Charley Hansen and his team created a complementary reconstruction filter to that in the QA-9, this is not available to owners of Ayre DACs. Charley sent this experimental filter to me to test; his doing so was the genesis of my article.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

4 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Perhaps he was referring to this post, by "jeffhenning"

"...in fact, usually, very little knowledge is what is exhibited by people who are dilettante A-holes with strong opinions about audio that disagree with you, John.

You do understand that I am not "jeffhenning"?

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

1 hour ago, Miska said:

In latest Stereophile J. Atkinson was once again going for the age old fallacy of looking only one aspect of the the filters (time domain) without putting the other aspect (frequency domain) side by side with it.

We have already examined the frequency-domain performance of sharp rolloff- filters and "leaky" ones like MQA's upsampling filter. As I wrote earlier in this thread, it would be helpful if people actually read what we have written instead of firing from the hip.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

7 minutes ago, crenca said:

John Atkinson in that thread - it's August 2018 folks! - is STILL asserting that MQA is "the only commercially available end-to-end solution". 

Please note that time-domain performance was the context for this posting to the Audio Asylum, not DRM, not the possibility of aliasing, not the file size, not the lossy vs lossless argument. In that context, I wrote "MQA, _if_ it operates as describes and as I investigated in my article, is the only commercially available end-to end solution. (Unless you consider very high-bitrate DSD implemented with complementary first-order low-pass filters.)"

As you appear to be arguing with that assertion, what other combinations of commercially available A/D converter and D/A conversion, other than MQA, Ayre's experimental filters, or, possibly, high bit-rate DSD, give you perfect behavior in the time domain from analog original signal to the analog reconstruction of that signal?

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

Why would you need matched A/D and D/A converters? That isn't how sampling works.

This is explained in the article of mine on stereophile.com that initiated this thread. I acknowledge that some might not want to read that article and by doing so gift us page views, but so it goes.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

5 hours ago, adamdea said:

Sorry - but that seems to me to be the "impulse response" of a dac fed *something*.

Fig.12 in my article plots the sample values in the digital domain. No DAC involved.

The something seems to be a non band limited impulse fed to a QA at 96khz and then sample rate converted to 44.1.

To create those digital-domain data, I digitized at 96kHz a unidirectional, shaped analog pulse with an approximate bandwidth of 60kHz with the Ayre QA9 A/D converter with its "Listen" antialiasing filter. I then sample-rate-converted those data to 44.1kHz. This is described in the article.

Why are you calling this a perfectly legal band limited impulse" ?

Because there is no spectral content above the new Nyquist frequency of 22.05kHz, due to the SRC's high-order low-pass filter. (Actually, spectral content above 22.05kHz analyzed in the digital domain after resampling to 96kHz, lies at approximately -127dB ref. the peak pulse level.) It is thus a "legal" 44.1kHz signal.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

22 hours ago, crenca said:

have we not come to the conclusion that the impulse that JA used to illicit "ringing" in his article is in fact an "illegal" frequency outside of the 20-20 band limit? 

As I have said before, spectral analysis shows that the "band-limited impulse" I used has no content above 22.05kHz. However, as I showed in the article, it does have sinc-function ringing present at 22.05kHz.The inference to be drawn is that every musical transient in a CD master will be accompanied by sinc-function ringing at Nyquist, either from the original A/D converter's anti-aliasing filter (if the recording was made at 44.1kHz), or from the sample-rate converter's low-pass filter used to create the master from 2Fs or 4Fs files. It seems incontrovertible, therefore that that ringing will excite the playback DAC's reconstruction filter, which will impose its own ringing on musical transients.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

3 hours ago, Fokus said:

You used Bias Peak for the sample rate conversion, i.e. anti-alias filtering followed with downsampling. If you did spectral analysis on the result you could only have done this after the downsampling, which is wrong.

As explained earlier in this thread, I resampled the 44.1kHz file to 96kHz, in order to examine the content above 22.05kHz in the digital domain and compare that result with the content of the file before downsampling.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

That makes no sense. A 44.1 kHz file has, by definition, no content above 22.05 kHz.

Please read the thread. I was responding to the assertion made by several posters, that the ringing of the DAC's reconstruction filter was due to the down-sampled file having spectral content above 22.05kHz. It didn't.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

4 minutes ago, FredericV said:
30 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

I have asked to try Mytek's MQA ADC, but I would have to sign a non-disclosure agreement that makes my using it moot.

Why is there still no MQA enabled ADC?

I thought it clear from my post that Mytek has such an ADC. Some recording and mastering engineers in the NY area have been beta-testing it.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Just now, FredericV said:

I repeat my question, which you are avoiding: why is there only one ADC with MQA (in beta)?.

Your original question was "Why is there still no MQA enabled ADC?" To be clear, this isn't the same question, so you are hardly repeating it. But to answer this second question, I have no idea. Nor do I have any idea why you think I should know.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

30 minutes ago, adamdea said:

I can’t see how this could be described as  incontrovertible- it seems to me doesn’t even get off the ground because you did not start with a musical transient, let alone one captured with a real microphone.

That is correct. I used an artificially generated, non-musical test signal with the necessary properties to investigate the subject in a repeatable and diagnostic manner. The use of such signals to investigate the behavior of audio components and infer the results of that behavior with music is routine. You can find myriad examples in the review archive at www.stereophile.com.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile