IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

2 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

If one makes a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a ypoc of a c*p- of a _o_~, I guess so...!

a friend and I did that once - Generation 6 (or was it 7?) sounded exactly the same as the original

people who say otherwise are most likely suffering from bit rot

20 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Of course, but the precision of the pits and lands on the CD  is also governed by the PSU area. Some experienced members don't believe that Buffers necessarily do a complete copybook restoration of the binary data either....

so, "experienced members" but not "well qualified members"

39 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

Then if y'all do, why the attempts to improve sound quality via boutique wires, designer inter-connects, and DACs costing thousands instead of around $100?

is there one thing in your list that is not like the others?

18 hours ago, Paul R said:

Heck no!  We need vinyl because where else can one find music like Fusion Is- Barry Miles , among literally thousands of others. 

Or, why should I pay $15.99 to listen to Eileen Farrell's Verdi Arias, when I originally bought the LP for $3.99 and it sounds better than the CD streamed from Qobuz, or the Amazon MP3 streams available?

weren't you talking about the joy of loading up a vinyl LP a while back?

that's ritual

a search on polynomial curve-fitting might prove to be instructive

but you will find that "that isn't really where it's at"

You try so hard but you don't understand

so just hand in your ticket

nonetheless, a sufficiently high polynomial can reconstruct anything

now, how high do ya wanna get?

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, One and a half said:

OK, then please put forth your proposal to remove currents caused by parasitic capacitive junctions between gates and the case of every semiconductor from diodes, IC, FETs, switching FETs especially high power ones.

this is covered in EDN, not to mention a number of research papers

or do you have something else?

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, marce said:

So how high can we hear?

My stock answer is that use of non-sinusoid waves has apparently never been tested, much less freqs. > 20 kHz in music.

There are at least 3 people on here who are well equipped to do such a test and they all live "back East" so not far from each other...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Actually I'm totally agnostic about digital vs analog, and if I could I would prefer to be able to eliminate my turntable system which is very fiddly -- since it's an open arm pod configuration if it moves even slightly it's now out of alignment and I have to bust out the $500 high accuracy SMARTractor and go through re-alignment. Of course one must go through a two-pass cleaning processes the records using ultra pure water and enzyme solutions, static brush at a minimum if I don't wash the record. Very gently clean the $4k cartridge needle tip. I'd rather just sell it off and be happy with digital...IF the quality was up to par.

So my current inventory of DACs: the tube DAC (Space-Tech Labs DSD512), Mytek Liberty + linear PSU, Holo Cyan DSD. Not counting my little dongles and el-cheapo Chinese Sabre job which is happy in my TV setup. The Cyan is a DSD ladder DAC; it can take PCM but it goes through a DSD conversion process. The Liberty is a 9018KM-based DAC so it takes both PCM and DSD without conversion, but it's the older Sabre.

Are these DACs just not good enough? Setting aside the tube DAC which even though is equipped with a choke isn't going to compete with a solid-state DAC in terms of noise, but what else do I need to look at? Power supplies? Clocks?

I'll also mention that the DAC as well as the pre is plugged into a Chinese 500W balanced transformer, and my listening room has only sound equipment plugged into its circuit...I do have a LED lamp which I turn on at night but I hope between the isolation transformer and the amp's power filtering accessories (LessLoss noise filtering cable + in-line filter) this is taken care of. Mechanical isolation capabilities are butcher blocks, brass carpet spikes and some rollerblocks (currently under my PC speakers) and some of those Mapleshade cork and rubber footers. Right now my DAC is just sitting on a butcher block without any footer floating ontop of my carpet.

The very first thing to do is a blind test where you know the digital source material is properly mastered.  You may still hear snap/crackle/pop and be able to distinguish the samples, but try to listen thru that for which one you like.

You might next add some analog rumble and freq. response bumps to your digital system.

3rd - just use a good tube pre-amp to the digital system and see how you like it (I use an Audio Research LS-25 Mk II as a similar 'euphonicizer').

Last, (and last b/c you can layout $20k to do this) you might explore the spendy end of DACs, e.g. Lampizator, spendy Chords, etc. - maybe make friends with peter and see if he'll loan you one of his designs.