IGNORED

New Mac Mini released

You can tell it to use one output for music and one output for the rest of the OS audio if that is what I think you are saying.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

• 3 weeks later...

All,

I'm writing this as a FYI and it maybe just me that had a mis- understanding and unreasonable expections.

I purcahsed the New Mac Mini (2010 version) with HDMI with the expressed purpose to use it as a music server. That is, HDMI to my AVR (Audio Video Receiver). I orginially expected to use Plex which implies using my HDTV to display the Plex screens. This works just fine. Somewhere along the way I had the idea to just use Itunes to play my music using only HDMI to my AVR (HDTV off) and somehow I was able to make this work for awhile.

However, lately I have notice that the Mac Mini did not recongize my AVR unless my HDTV is turned on. So the configuration is Mac Mini to AVR via HDMI and AVR to HDTV via HDMI.

I checked several A/V fourms and many people have reported trying to make this configuration work without success.

I decided to call Apple today and file a problem report. however, I was told that the HDMI on the Mac Mini was designed to only function with a HDTV and not directly to a AVR via HDMI. (Maybe others knew this already, but it totally escaped me,somehow).

So: If you want audio (multi-channel) only from the Mac Mini- Use the 3.5mm headphone jack with embeded digital Optical to an AVR.

Forgive me if this is a duhh moment to everyone else on the fourm. It was a ahh ha moment for me.

Ed

Mac Mini (2010) > Rotel RSX-1560 > B&W 805Di>JL Audio F112>iPad (4th gen)> iRule / Demopad

greetings. I have had some experience getting some flac files to work in a program like xbmc and songbird. DTS-wav files never decode properly on the mac, but will play just perfectly on the bootcamp partition using the same hardware. Go figure. I have found that the stranger kind of encoding like 5.0 or 4.0 surround are much more hit and miss on the mac side. As for software it's inconvenient but I find JRiver on Boot Camp to be pretty good at playing and converting various surround files if you have it configured right. Seems to do a great job. Any converting I have always done on the windows end. Unfortunately it seems to work better though it is certainly not the neatest or most elegant way to do it. So while the HDMI mini is certainly capable of putting out 5.1 audio it seems to only work flawlessly on the windows side. YMMV.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

OOOPS! This was meant as a reply to Eloise's question above regarding the mini HDMI's surround audio capabilities.

Yes, the Gefen HDMI detector seems to be the solution of choice for many audiophiles trying to address this problem. Most report that it's works well and is reliable.

I also think using a high quality Optical cable is also a good solution that meets most peoples objectives. While it's not clear to me at this point, this solution may have better sound performance. Optical is reported to have less jitter than HDMI and therefore should in theory sound better.

Thanks for providing this link. It helps tie the discussions together so that we can all stay informed on this issue.

Ed

Mac Mini (2010) > Rotel RSX-1560 > B&W 805Di>JL Audio F112>iPad (4th gen)> iRule / Demopad

So basically folks are happy with this as a "Dedicated music" computer? If all that works well, the only thing I'm wondering about here is: What if you want a bigger hard drive or more space?

I'd be connecting to an external DAC probably via asynchronous USB. I have the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2. It's awesome.

I like Apple but I'm also curious: Are there any "non Apple" equivalents to this Mini Mac concept?

What should a person be thinking about in terms of something like this vs. a NAS or some other server setup? This sure seems like it fits what I'm looking for in a lot of ways.

I don't even need wireless. I just want something that's very quiet, very low power consumption, that can handle all kinds of music.

My current PC is excellent but it's a gaming machine that makes noise and uses up a lot of power. I can use it just fine for music but if I can do this cleaner and quieter it might be worth me exploring further.

My understanding is that the standard HD is 320mb but you can buy one with 500mb also. I do not believe you can upgrade the HD after the fact. There are two processor options and several memory options.

My interest would be to use the Mac Mini as my music server, connected via HDMI to my HDTV and use an iPAD as the keyboard/mouse and remote control. Are there Apps that allow for this to happen?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Computer Videophile? I just skimmed this entire thread (again) and found little to no mention of the audio performance of the 2010 Mini. Some folks are speculating that the onboard SMPS may be a negative in regards to audio performance. Has anyone used the '10 Mini with a high end DAC and auditioned it for its audio performance?

For those who are interested in the audio performance of the '10 Mini there is some interesting posting going on in the Audio Circle forum (see the "Tranquility DAC" thread) re the '10 Mini. Everyone there is saying that the new Mini trounces the old one for audio performance, and the speculation is that the design is so optimised for low noise, and low power consumption that RF production is much lower than other computers, despite the onboard power supply. people are also speculating that the unibody construction results in way less RF emission.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I am very interested in the new Mac Mini. I currently have an iMac. With 80% of my computer usage managing and playback of my music library and only 10% each for web browsing and email I am not only considering the Mac Mini as a music server but my main computer.

My idea is to have a Mac Mini with the HDMI output to my HDTV. My audio output would be via USB to my Wadia PowerDAC 151. I would intend to add an iPad (hopefully with an app that would allow it to use the iPad as the keyboard and mouse for the Mac Mini - like the Logitech Touch Mouse app). I would also use the iPad for web browsing and email. I probably would add a wireless keyboard and mouse.

If I do this I would give up my iMac and use the above system as my computer. What should I be considering as minuses or pluses in doing this? Any suggestions?

Frank Zappa

Everyone's habits are different, but it sounds like our setups are very similar, so if you will permit me a comparison... Briefly, I would keep the iMac, at least for now.

For my mini, I have HDMI out to the TV (for movies and other video downloads from iTunes) and optical out for my music (I have the choice between optical and USB out, but my USB in to my DAC is limited to 16-bit). To control the iMac, the TV (52" Samsung) is the monitor, and I have a logitech wireless keyboard with a little scroll disc embedded in it. Physically, it is the nicest keyboard I have. I also recently bought a mac scrollpad, but I haven't really used it yet.

Using this setup, I could easily use the computer for everything, sitting at the couch with the wireless keyboard. My kids play games for hours this way, so it is certainly doable.

In reality, I control the computer for music, etc in one of two ways, ordered in decreasing frequency:

1. Apple Screen Sharing to the iMac on the other side of the living room, which is on a desk. I find that this is by far the fastest and most convenient way to interact with the computer.

2. iPad, using iTap Remote4. Although designed for the ipod, it gives full resolution on the iPad, and has the most Mac-like, iPad-friendly interface of any of the remote display programs I use. I also use the various remote applications to interact with iTunes.

So, in short, I would recommend that keyboard (expensive, but worth every penny, especially to have the built-in scroll disk), but would also keep the iMac, at least for now, or if you are like me you will be frustrated. Also, it is nice to be able to do computer stuff without competing with music, video or game-playing.

Finally, I should add that there is nothing wrong with the mini as a computer. I justified replacing my 2009 mini with a 2010 mini because I could use the 2009 mini as an iMac replacement. I was originally going to get a (third) home iMac for my home office, but instead used the 2009 mini attached to one of the new $300 Samsung LED ultra-thin no-glare monitors. So that 2009 mini is now a fully-functional, full-time computer (although I found keeping my music back-up disk attached to it allows me to monitor the integrity of my music backups regularly, so I got a pair of MM-1 speakers for that computer). I also have a 2009 mini at work that drives a 3D monitor, for molecular graphics display. I've used that as a heavy-duty computational computer, and it is surprisingly up to the task.)

• 4 months later...

I'm hoping that enough people out there have upgraded their Minis to help me make a decision. I am currently running Snow Leopard through a 1.66 gHz Mini with 2 GB RAM. I use iTunes/Pure Music, a John Kenny upgrade of the HiFace USB-to-SPDIF converter, into an Altmann Attraction DAC.

The main problem with my current Mini is the fact that I can't upgrade to the 4 GB RAM recommended by Pure Music (primarily for memory play). I could buy an older used Mini that can accommodate 4 GB, but I'm wondering if the faster processing speed improves sound quality, which is my main concern.

I have some concern about the on-board power supply of the new Minis, but because the modded HiFace uses its own battery power supply, I'm wondering if this would mitigate that problem.

I've read through the entire thread, and there are not a lot of opinions about the sound quality of older Macs versus the new unibody models, especially when running a program like Pure Music.

...which monitors and displays memory usage in your top menu bar. As far as I understand it, if you can see that memory play mode is using all your available memory then you can benefit from having more. Not using PM or Amarra and my memory load never goes above about half so I'm happy sticking with the standard 2GB for now.

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/

Hope this helps.

RS

Standard Mac mini 2010/iTunes (ALAC)/Pure Music & Pro-Ject RPM9.1/Ortofon Rondo Blue/Project PhonoBox SE -> Bel Canto DAC2.5 -> Acurus A200 -> Aphion Argon2 Anniversary/Impact500 & Sennheiser HD650 -> Comfy couch.

The two biggest contributors to sound quality in the new Mini are the vastly improved internal PS and overall microscopic power consumption and the ability to run the OS using the 64 bit kernel without hacks.

General opinion seems to be the new mini is as good or better than older ones with hotrod outboard PS bricks. Running the 64 bit kernel definitely affects the sound in a very positive way as well.

I'm sure more CPU horsepower doesn't hurt either.

Rig 1: CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, VTF-15H, Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-5, Aries Deluxe via S/PDIF

Rig 2: Sennheiser HD650, Woo WA-2, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Sony HAP-Z1ES

I upgraded from the previous Mac Mini (w 4G) to a the new one (with 2G). I was concerned that Pure Music would complain, but that hasn't happened.

Make sure to install the right version of Pure Music, the one that says it's happy with 2G. Sound is great, and Menu Meters have yet to show any need for more memory. It tracks usage, and 2G has been plenty for everything I've played.

Bel Canto Dac only talks to Mini at 24/96, so that might change w a new DAC that goes to 192.

You can definitely upgrade (ie replace) the 2G in the mini, with up to 8G. I planned on doing that, but can't see any reason to do so yet.

Duke Weber

Thanks for your responses.

khollister: When you say "hotrod outboard PS bricks" it sounds you're referring to after-market additions? So the suggestion is that the new internal PS is definitely an audible improvement over the old standard one, as is the ability to run the operating system with the 64 bit kernel.

wgscott: I read in several places that different macs can only accommodate so much RAM. Here's one such source:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/124960-need-know-how-much-ram-your-mac-can-hold.html

dw: I'm using the latest version of Pure Music. I haven't seen anything that specifies 2G as opposed to 4G. I think I may be using the gapless play incorrectly. This is probably not the right thread for this, but when I play an entire cd collection of files through just iTunes, I get no drop-out. Even though there are gaps between songs, the sound doesn't do completely dead, whereas through Pure Music, I get a couple of seconds of dead air. Also, albums that I've coded as gapless do not play gapless. There are a couple of seconds of dead air between cuts. I was thinking this had something to do with lack of RAM.

The NEW Mac Mini is way better.

More ram. Fill it to the top.

More cpu horsepower.

No Brick.

Yes, put one of those super duper power cords on it.

Pop an SSD inside.

You will love lt.

Dude, go forward... not back.

Open baffle with Feastrex for the top end and 16\" AE for the bass.[br]Pass labs 30.5 drives the AE and my own 45 with Intact Audio output transformers all silver build drives the Feastrex. [br]Lynx Aurora with Antelope clock.[br]Pure Music does the crossover work. Mac mini with a SSD and a Glyph hd for the data. [br]West of the Pecos...[br]East of the Rio Grande...

I don’t understand the USB BUS on the Mac Mini. Looking under the Apple icon in the top left corner and More Info>USB it shows the layout of your USB ports. There are four ports on the Mac Mini. As far as I can tell there are two designated as High Speed.

My issue or lack of understanding is that I have tried to plug in my Bel Canto DAC to every USB port there is and my two WD hard drives into the others and no matter what ports I use it shows the WD hard drives as connected via the USB High Speed but not the Bel Canto.

I don’t have any operational problems with this I am aware of but I am curious as to why this is.

Frank Zappa