IGNORED

MQA Shill Steve Stone Provides a Good Laugh For a Friday...

On 4.5.2018 at 11:35 PM, FredericV said:

Steven Stone actually confirms in a discussion with Soundstage's Doug Schneider, that MQA is all about protecting the interests of the labels, and the storage reduction for streaming providers:

image.thumb.png.2aebc7ecec7c3706d4d42f47504cbbe3.png

It's not about us, the audiophiles.

He gives two reasons for MQA: storage & security. Security I can understand, the record companies want same cryptographic leverage for their content. That‘s just DRM by a different name and a credible if despicable business interest. 

But the storage argument has me sceptical: video and game content has much higher storage requirements than lossless or even high-rez music. MQAs storage savings are demonstrably not big, FLAC does better and what are 3-5 petabytes in today’s cloud environments anyway?! Which is about the size the 50 Million track library of a typical streaming service will require if content is stored lossless.

This doesn’t add up. Anybody an idea what this storage argument is about?!

Yes but even though Spotify and Apple  stream lossy formats they require labels and artists to deliver their tracks losslessly. Apple even recommends 24/96 as the delivery format.

Transcoding is done within their infrastructure, partly on the fly, partly beforehand via batch processing. The original files are left in place, transcoded copies are staged globally via content delivery systems. At least that is what a former Spotify engineer now with SoundCloud told me.

You want lossless as delivery formats to ensure best possible quality of the transcode. Since MQA is lossy you cannot guarantee that.

Unless there is a transcode-from-MQA-to-lossy-a-delivery-format angle to the story we haven’t discovered yet...