IGNORED

Why!? Please Tell Me Why!

it is possible there is a difference in the sound caused by an AC power cable (even if not an improvement)

also possible people got x/y correct just by chance {hence we do a statistically valid test}

also possible that confirmation bias is an issue {hence we do single, or double blind tests}

before we invoke new laws of physics, and even before we invoke some unusual application of known physical law, we must rule out the 2 known and well documented factors

[assuming we even care, as effort directed at better and less expensive DSP for speakers will have a much higher reward]

some types of 'ESP' are explicable based on well-known principles

e.g. the sense that someone is behind you - even if not due to [1] "predictive" effects based on previously known positions of the person, and [2] not due to changes in the acoustics of a room from having someone nearby, we now know that [3] human skin can sense another person in proximity due to infra-red radiation

3 is interesting as it has been known for several decades (pit vipers use it toimage mice - pic on request) but was only extended to humans more recently

not ESP at all

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

Hmmm ... Great idea ... I’m going to have several princesses over for a listening  session to determine the effect of Absinthe on the sound of power cables ...

sounds like fun - be sure they are not under-age

I was of course referring to his cables and the hope that they were properly aged and burned in.

-----

charisma - seems to be just a psychological effect on others, conveyed by the usual sensory channels such as sight, sound, and pheromones

the only unusual events I have encountered have either taken place in the desert, or have been induced by Chinese martial arts masters

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Perhaps you aren’t understanding the subtle explanation then. It has been verified that if you burn in your cables while drinking absinthe, as the “la louche” develops, the sound mellows. It’s [brain] chemistry. The cables which are affected are connected to neurons, frequently referred to as axons. The effect is quite real. ?

\

fixed

5 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I thought directional control of signal cables had to do with the orientation of crystal boundaries formed during the drawing / annaeling process which manufacturers keep track of vs the direction wire comes off the factory spool.

There is definitely directional flow in conductors regardless of being AC or DC.

1st para. - sounds like you've listening to the ignorant posters on Audiogoon

2nd para. - No

9 minutes ago, phosphorein said:

That makes two of us, but Audioquest has been about marketing from day one.

AudioQuest sells ethernet cables that they claim are "directional".[12] One independent blindedABX test of the ethernet cables at The Amazing Meeting in 2015 found that the cables do not produce a measurable effect. Independent physical testing of the data transmission quality of AudioQuest's ethernet cables claimed to show they perform no better than class compliant cables costing less than 1/10 the price due to the near-end crosstalk.

- from the Wiki on them

the dialectical dielectrics !

Gummy - I said nothing incorrect - feel free to quote it if you think so

now, as to "orientation of crystal boundaries formed during the drawing / [annealing] process"...  I checked with a materials scientist (who informed me we are not allowed to call them metallurgists anymore) about this some time ago - there is a small effect that has been measured but it is of no interest for electrical transmission purposes

also, let's not confuse the speed of electricity thru any medium with the translational movement of electrons themselves

Below is something that is taught in Sophomore physics classes - they are only 19...

EH-maxwells.gif

48 minutes ago, GUTB said:

You said "no". 

I used used to think electrons just sort of vibrated or hovered in place — in fact they do move (slowly). I’m not trained in these topics, I’m just a neurotypical guy posting on the Internet.

A signal is a flow of electricity. There is a direction. Energy jumping across conductor crystal boundaries effects the electrical properties of the conductor. That’s not at all controversial.

duh

curl.jpg