IGNORED

Why!? Please Tell Me Why!

2 hours ago, Albrecht said:

"" You really do have a sad and misguided view on these things... ""

Pot meet Kettle. I have knowledge based on experience, which reflects the majority viewpoint. Unfortunately, - the same can not be said of your unreasonable attacking position....

""egard to the silly cables this thread is about, has anyone thought about the stress such large cables will put on the connectors, plugs and any connections ...""

You can call cables what you want from your ignorant viewpoint, - but whether or not that position is unreasonable is just your unfounded and vitriolic, assumption; outside reality.

The best that YOU can say about those cables is that you know nothing about them...... Even your "silly" (to quote you) assumption that they're too heavy for the connectors, is questionable without knowing how much the cables weigh, or what type of connectors are on the speakers, and how those connectors may be mounted/attached to the cabinets, - or the cabinet material.

""Being an audiophile myself (of the more objective side)"

Although it is possible, it is silly as the "objective" component of a subjective experience and knowledge is grossly mundane at best.

You can have the last word.

As I have said though many times cables do have an effect on signals travelling down them, it is measurable... the debate is whether it is audible, if it is something is wrong.:D

There are differing views though on this site, and in the main the two camps exist happily side by side, just occasionally sparing on the odd thread, that's what gives the forum life, otherwise it would become stale.

I believe threads like this one started out are good for all, as stated before its good to laugh at oneself, and this thread was doing that with a few inane comments about what are rather far out cables in anyone's book. 

4 hours ago, accwai said:

Hmm... Streets around here are filled with jaw droppingly expensive cars. Nissan GT-R are everywhere. A few weeks back, I was parked next a Lamborghini Aventador that's like almost $1/2M. Then two days ago, I was side by side with a Lamborghini Huracán at a traffic light. I think it's the "cheap" two wheel drive V8 version. But still, top of the driver's head is like at my eye level. That's surreal :D And two days before that, there was a McLaren coming onto a nearby main avenue from a neighborhood that I normally avoid because potholes are all over the place in there. Must be even rougher for something like McLaren. If these cars are consumer based to you, you're living in a very different world than mine. But hey, it's a big world. No matter where one stands, there will almost always be somebody way above that.

As for throwing those responsible in jail, sure! Performance for these cars are so far above what's needed for mass transportation that these cars would have no other purpose than to pull dangerous stunts on public roads. People who make, push and buy this stuff should rot in prison for out and out illegal sh$^%#$!t. And not just cars. Wine and art have been pointed out here at CA not long ago. And obviously camera stuff too. These elitist counter-revolutionaries must be nipped in the bud now! x-D

You totally missed the point of the post you quoted... It was regarding selling add-ons not the actual main kit itself...

17 hours ago, mozes said:

I leave that to scientists. I know that it does. Just because it can’t be explained, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Then explain it or find some explanation, because many of us can't find any explanation...

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

It's always about signal to noise ratio - if you're happy to bet your life on any old cable having full integrity in transmitting, say, 120dB dynamic range material then go for it - systems that need guarantees for correct transmission adjust required dynamic range, and have all sort of redundancies to make sure that it always works. No, audio doesn't really need 120dB accuracy, but 70 to 80 down is where things start start getting a bit twitchy for sufficient accuracy; just enough for one's hearing to pick up that something's not right.

It's the noise component that just might be significant to one's hearing, and burn in is just a way of altering or stabilising some of the behaviours of the materials in the cable that impact on that noise contribution.

No.

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

Perhaps you aren’t understanding the subtle explanation then. It has been verified that if you burn in your cables while drinking absinthe, as the “la louche” develops, the sound mellows. It’s chemistry. The cables which are affected are connected to neurons, frequently referred to as axons. The effect is quite real. ?

From North of England will Special Brew do instead of some fancy liqueur...

7 hours ago, GUTB said:

Electricity is faster than light?

What

5 hours ago, GUTB said:

You deny electrical currents have a direction. Even a cursory Google search shows that isn't true. Why do feel like lying about this subject?

Cable directivity, crystal boundary diodes etc. are just plain BS. Yes current has direction, in ac its both ways, DC music is very boring, but cables ARE NOT DIRECTIONAL.

7 hours ago, GUTB said:

Electricity is faster than light?

The wave front of an electric signal travels through a medium such as a cable or a PCB at a speed determined by the velocity factor, you might want to go look it up, there are two main equations. On the other hand electrons travel at a very slow 0.1mm/s or something equally slowwww.

1 hour ago, Speedskater said:

At high radio frequencies, any interconnect becomes a transmission line system. So when tested with high frequency pulses, if:

the output stage impedance >> cable impedance >> input stage impedance are not all equal,  reflections or ringing will be observed.

Yes but the cable is not directional, you can determine the mismatch by the reflection position, did some sims to show this years ago on another forum regarding the same arguments on cable directivity eons ago.

The cable will have a constant impedance, if it does not it is damaged and would need replacing... generally this is caused by co-ax cables being bent or twisted so the internal geometry changes, twisted pair and LVDS is far better and less prone to cable damage and thus impedance mismatches.

RF is weird and microwave even weirder, you don't use curved tracks for microwave, they are bad...o.O

1 hour ago, Speedskater said:

Any interconnect cable that has the shield connected differently at each end can be considered directional.

Any interconnect that has the conductors connected differently at each endcan be considered an adapter.

Some balanced XLR interconnects are wired with a hybrid shield. That is the shield is connected at the send end and goes thru a small capacitor at the receive end. This won't work with phantom powered microphones.

I disagree somewhat the, cable is not directional as such, the shield is connected at one end only, this will only work with a return wire so not much good for co-ax cables. A shield connected at one end only at RF frequencies is actually called an antenna (usually forms a dipole).

Point two I'll give you.

Point 3 is standard practice to connect a shield to have low impedance at rf frequencies and not create a ground loop, we can both ref Henry Ott and others on this.

I may be being at bit over pedantic on a second read...:D

15 minutes ago, mav52 said:

light travels through empty space at 186,000 miles per second. The electricity which flows through the wires in your homes and appliances travels much slower: only about 1/100 th the speed of light.

Wrong its between 40-86% of C, depending on the dialectics involved and construction. As an average for signals on PCBs a rough rule of thumb is 150mm/ns (approx half that of C, light in a vacuum).