IGNORED

Why!? Please Tell Me Why!

3 hours ago, marce said:

As I have said though many times cables do have an effect on signals travelling down them, it is measurable... the debate is whether it is audible, if it is something is wrong.

Well not all cables are good cables (especially at both ends of the cost scale) and not all output or input stages are of good design.  So it's more than possible that there are audible differences, but all good cables will sound the same.

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

You bet! And I note here that you used the word "most", because there are clearly instances where speaker cables can make a difference between a speaker sounding it's best and not quite making the grade. I have always had this opinion, going back at least 30 years. Read my review, in Stereophile, of the Apogee Duetta II ribbon Speaker.

The Apogee's may place the greatest demands on speaker cables and power amplifiers of all the good speakers ever made.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Why cables are important is that: they are not perfect as a means of connecting electrical nodes, at some level; and they can act as a filter to some degree. I aim to make any piece of connecting wire as benign as possible, mimic the nominally required attributes as well as I can, for as low a cost as I can.

Yet we see little interest in audiophiles choosing the best engineered and manufactured cables.

Any interconnect cable that has the shield connected differently at each end can be considered directional.

Any interconnect that has the conductors connected differently at each endcan be considered an adapter.

Some balanced XLR interconnects are wired with a hybrid shield. That is the shield is connected at the send end and goes thru a small capacitor at the receive end. This won't work with phantom powered microphones.

2 hours ago, marce said:

I disagree somewhat the, cable is not directional as such, the shield is connected at one end only, this will only work with a return wire so not much good for co-ax cables. A shield connected at one end only at RF frequencies is actually called an antenna (usually forms a dipole).

By 'shield' I meant. In an unbalanced or balanced interconnect a 2 conductor plus shield. (so the shield is only a shield)

Yes a shield needs to be attached to a chassis at the connector or it becomes an antenna.

15 hours ago, GUTB said:

I'm willing to discuss theory, its just that conspiracy theories about manufacturers and press fooling audiophiles are hard to tackle.

Why do you think that there is a conspiracy theory involved?  Each has their own vested interest reasons for supporting audiophile myths.

20 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

no optical in '79 eh?

While there were a few optically coupled mic pre-amps back in about 1979,  most optical links are digital and not in the15 to 20,000 Hz range so it doesn't meet the definition.

And now there are a very few hi-fi optically coupled pre-amps. (they have over-come dome of the 1979 challenges.