IGNORED

Audiophilia Syndrome

36 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

People who believe that it's all just ones and zeroes, expensive cables are foolish, competently designed equipment (amps, cd players, etc.) all sound the same, and double blind testing is the only standard, do not want to be called audiophiles, and mostly use the term pejoratively. That sentiment comes across clearly in the OP.

Again, you're just picking an arbitrary distinction and presuming to know what others think. I may not fit your definition of audiophile, but I am, and have been for 30+ years. Because I understand something about the underlying technology and chose my components carefully and deliberately does not make me less of an audiophile than you or GUTB. 

Now, if you were to call me an audiophiliac then I may have to disagree. I've recovered from that disease a long time ago  ;)

5 minutes ago, Summit said:

Sure Audiophilia can get out of hand and become an obsessive-compulsive behaviour.

We also have some people that seems to be obsessive with everything that they consider to be snake oil products.  

There are certainly folks at both extremes. What I often find is that the people near the middle get pushed into one of the extreme groups, just because it makes it easier to classify them this way. That's not fair to them.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Those are the signs of an audiophile, except for the focusing on the inexpensive side of things, which may or not be a sign of not being an audiophile. Not having a preamp seriously calls your audiophile credentials into question, but that may just be lack of experience born out of a focus on trying to achieve maximum value.

You're too funny! I suggest you and your fans have a formal meeting and a vote to determine if I am or I am not an audiophile, as you appear conflicted on the subject.

1 hour ago, accwai said:

That's assuming most would care all that much about how they're labelled and whether the labels are fair to them.

Besides, it's a big world out there. People who are far beyond the stereotypes could also exist. Audiophools that only play a handful of approved recordings to show off their system eh? Sure, but there are also those with audio system, music collection *and* musical instrument collection of gigantic proportion. Contrary to popular belief, they also have the necessary knowledge to use that stuff real hard. And they've been around enough to have contact with people with even larger collection than theirs and they're perfectly comfortable with that.

The obsessives are the ones fuzzing over the labels and counter-labels. Whatever rocks your boat eh... x-D

It's not the labels that bother me, it's the assumptions that are then made about people based on these labels.