IGNORED

Need Audio CD Ripping Software Recommendations

Lord_Elrond

3 minutes ago, audiventory said:

Improve. You have correct error detection probability Pripper lesser 1.0.

If you add checking with checksum database, the database correct error detection probability Pdb (also lesser 1.0).

Total correct error detection probability P = Pripper * Pdb.

P is lesser Pripper and P is lesser Pdb, because numbers in right part of formula both are lesser 1.0.

So Total error detection probaility is improved if only 1 of mthods is used.

See formula and details (part "Simultaneous using of CD's checksum comparison and low level fault detection") https://samplerateconverter.com/educational/best-cd-ripping-software

That's not how it works.

Think about the process for a moment. First you rip the CD, possibly with errors. Then you look at the database. Audiventory is suggesting that looking at the database after ripping the CD somehow increases the error rate in the past.

8 minutes ago, audiventory said:

First, I want to be sure, that you understand, that I talks about probabilities as term of mathematical probability theory.

I understand that, but I don't understand why. It isn't applicable here.

9 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Here is a quote:

"AR [AccurateRip] checksums, when they match, are virtually 100% reliable. For each accurate rip match, the chances of the disk getting the same checksum but the data being different are 1 in 4 billion. If you have 3 AR matches the chance of the data being wrong is 1 in 4 billion times 4 billion times 4 billion. So accuraterip is pretty durn accurate."

That's not correct. No matter how many other rips got the same checksum, the probability that yours matches by random chance despite having errors is still 1 in 4 billion. The calculation above gives the probability that all the rips are different, which isn't a particularly interesting number.

35 minutes ago, diecaster said:

No. What is being said is that each time another disc is added to the database with that same checksum, the chance the checksum is wrong goes down. I certainly worded my commentary incorrectly.

Yes, each matching rip strengthens the confidence in the checksum. The chance that your specific rip matches by accident is, however, constant.

The important thing to realise here is that verification against the database is independent of any other methods used to ensure a good rip. Adding another check can never make the others less effective. It does, however, slightly increase the chance of incorrectly flagging a good rip as bad. I don't really see that being a problem, though.

For a bit of "fun," create an audio CD containing  a 1 kHz square wave. This will have 44 samples in most periods but 45 in some to maintain the average. Now try ripping this with a "secure" ripper and watch it struggle as it tries to figure out how to line up overlapping reads.

1 minute ago, audiventory said:

I can't understand, how the ripper work is bound with audio data content? What is ripper?

Some rippers do multiple overlapping reads to detect if the drive has dropped some samples. I don't know why a drive would do that, but presumably it has happened, or the feature wouldn't have been added.