IGNORED

How much disrespect is alllowed on Computer Audiophile?

18 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Bill

Quite a few people have possums as friends .

At our previous address we had an old possum that was blind in one eye, so we regularly gave him bits of banana and apple etc. when he appeared at our back door in the evening.

I am not a vegetarian, but I hate the thought of fattening up animals just to eat them at a later time.

Do you know if there are any further developments in the area of artificial meat ? 

Alex

I don't know.  I think I would like to eat artificial meat even less than real meat.  I don't even like those imitation meat dishes very much.

There was this report in Ars Technica a couple of days ago.

I must confess I had no idea they had possums in Australia.  I thought they were an Americas marsupial.  

1 hour ago, christopher3393 said:

excerpt from Assholes: A Theory by Aaron James

So here is a conundrum:

Yesterday on a flight back home, as the plane was loading, I sat down in my aisle seat, and then got up when the occupant of the center seat shows up.  He looks at me and says "Can I have your seat?"  He is about 7 ft tall.  I'm about 5'9" with disproportionately short legs.  I wasn't too thrilled and pointed out that I paid an $36 to get that seat, hoping he would take the hint, but instead we got into a bit of an argument, with me suggesting the way to do this would be for him to have purchased an aisle seat, or one in the emergency exit row (which has loads of legroom) in advance, from American Airlines (who now shakes you down for additional charges for decent seats).  So we are both standing there and everyone else is getting pissed off, so I just sat in the middle seat, and he and his friends in the row ahead of us (who didn't feel compelled to sacrifice their seats) were suggesting I was being an asshole for objecting to his sense of entitlement, and I was pointing out that if we both had paid the same amount, rather than me forking over an extra $36 for the seat I no longer had, it wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

So, who was the asshole in this situation?

OK, so let's say we both had paid the same for our seats, and AA didn't yet have the assholeish policy of selling aisle seats for a surcharge.  Then if someone 7' tall asks for my seat, presumably I would have been the asshole if I had not given it to him.  It is hard for someone that tall to physically get into the seat, and my legs are so short I had to get a custom bike frame built, so under those circumstances I think it would be douchie of me to insist that I keep my seat, just because I got to it first.  Since the surcharge is being paid for by the organization that paid for my travel, it isn't too far from that.