IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR4 PSU

I would also like to know how different the Sliver DC cable sounds from the Copper one. I originally ordered the silver DC cable with my SR4T, but it is not too late to change, as I do not think the batch that ought to include my unit has gone into production yet. The little catch is that I have a Pangea AC9SE MK II power cable (made from Cardas copper, if I'm correct) that I could use with the SR4T, and that cable tends noticeably, to tame peaky or shrill highs, and make amps sound relatively smooth and warm in my experience, so I am not sure whether it would be a great idea to also ask for a copper DC cable instead. I guess we could start by finding out how the Copper or Silver DC cable impacts the sound of the SR4T.

Also, does the copper or silver wire used in a power cord impact the sound of power amps in the same way as they do the sound of LPS units?

One more thing: if anyone has heard both the SR4 or SR4T and the SR5, which is also going to get a Turbo make-over soon, could you share your thoughts about the delta between the 2 with the respect to the SQ they can draw from the units they're powering?

I am going to use this unit (SR4T or SR5T) to power an Etherregen, and maybe an attached Sonore Optical module (that is if I should get the dual rail SR5T). The etherregen is currently being powered by and LPS 1.2, which already sounds good to my ears.

11 minutes ago, internethandle said:

Received my SR4ST-12 yesterday. Excellent packaging job -- perhaps the most bubble wrap I've seen on any item I've ordered in audio!

Swapped out the fuse for a Synergistic Research Orange, DC cable is a Ghent Audio DC-7N16C (their UPOCC Neotech JSSG360 cable), power cable is an older Harmonic Technology Pro AC-11 I had available, some Mapleshade style cork feet under it, and a Alan Maher passive filter on top of the chassis in the transformer's approximate area.

Anyway, even right of out the box into my ISO Regen, wow! Insane improvement over the Linear Solution LPS-912 I was using beforehand, which I had found to sound a teeny bit better than an Uptone LPS-1. It retained all I enjoyed about the LPS-912 (nice high extension, good imaging) and added tons in dynamics, body, bass extension, and staging. 

Anyway, the Turbo's worth it! 

Nice! But If I may ask : what are the specs (amperage, and blow speed) of the synergistic research orange fuse that you used to replace the stock fuse, and also, is the DC cable you're using from Ghent audio copper or silver?  Also does the SR fuse make ths SR4T sound diferent than it does with the stock fuse?

40 minutes ago, internethandle said:

The SR4 and SR4T conveniently list the fuse rating needed on the sticker below each unit (which also includes the voltage setting information), the fuse rating being 1A Time Delay/Slow Blow. The DC cable is UPOCC copper (https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-7n16c.html).

I did not compare the stock fuse to the SR Orange in the SR4T, but I have compared it to stock vs. Hifi Tuning Supreme Black vs. Synergistic Research Blue in my DAC, and found it to lend a sense of holographic staging vs. the blue, with much better imaging and much cleaner. The Blue actually sounded a bit muddy vs. the Supreme Black, and the stock just sounded flatter, one dimensional, and lifeless vs. all others. So in other words, in my DAC at least the ranking went something like SR Orange >>>> Hifi Tuning Supreme Black > SR Blue > Stock. 

Thanks : I ordered my SR4T with the silver DC cable, but from what I have been reading on this thread, it appears more and more as if the copper might actually sound better. Since my unit is going to come with next month's batch, I still have the time to make the switch to copper... Of course, I could also purchase the copper version from Ghent audio which you have linked (Thanks), so that I'll have both options.

I already I have 2 SR fuses in hand, one is orange, and the other is Blue. I plan to use the Orange one for my DAC (Yggy A2), and the Blue one for the SR4T, but your experience with the Blue fuse in your DAC is giving me pause... i.e. making me wonder whether it wouldn't be a good idea to get another Orange fuse for the SR4T as well. The obvious question occurring to me in this respect is whether the tuning function of these particular fuses works for Power supply units in the same way as they do for DACs.  I am convinced that the Orange fuse would be the best to use with my Yggy A2, but I am no longer so sure whether the blue one would be ideal for the SR4T.  I may need to experiment with the blue and orange fuses with the SR4T in order to find out what difference each makes (if any), before deciding.  Thanks again for your detailed response.

12 minutes ago, internethandle said:

FWIW the DAC I tried the Orange and Blue in was also a Schiit DAC (Bifrost 2), so it's possible, at least, that the Orange will also translate to good synergy with the Yggy A2. Since I don't have the Blue around any longer (returned it for the Orange), I can't tell you how well it pairs with the SR4T, unfortunately. I do think it's correct to suggest that it's difficult to say whether an experience matching a fuse to a DAC like the Bifrost 2 would translate 1 for 1 to an LPS like the SR4T. I suspect it could be a very different result, and although my ears do hear a familiar holography/euphonic-sounding presentation with the Orange in the SR4T, it's hard to say how much of that is the fuse vs. the supply itself!

The place I've seen the most discussion of fuses in general is over at What's Best Forum, where a lot of users have seemingly tried the gamut of audiophile fuses and many of them zeroed in on the Blue, for many months, as the best of the batch. There were only a few detractors, most of whom liked I think the Audio Magic Beeswax fuse instead (which is even more expensive!). Orange has since taken over Blue there, also, but I guess the previous consensus about the Blue might lend some credence toward it working well in the SR4T.

This is helpful. Now regarding how the DC cable connects the SR4T to my Etherregen, will any combination of the regular straight or right-angled plugs work for the SR4T (I'm referring to those in the first group of DC cables on the Ghentaudio page you linked earlier)?

Oh one more question : Do you find that the directionality of these fuses matters, when being installed?

So guys with experience and expertise in the swapping of fuses :  I need ro replace two fuses in one streamer. Now since I have to figure out appropriate (best-sounding) directionality for each fuse, I am thinking that I'll have to replace them one at a time, since attempting to figure out the best sounding directionality of each of two already installed fuses has proven to be a rather messy experience for me in the past. Now I have two questions regarding this approach :

1. Is it safe, from an electrical engineering perspective to have two fuses of different makes temporarily working side by side at the same time (they both have the same specs in amperage and blow time;  It is just that one fuse will be the new SR Orange fuse, and the other one would be the stock generic fuse which came with the streamer). I am assuming that it would be easier for me to detect the best sounding directionality of each of the two SR fuses,  if each is working together, and one at a time, with the stock fuse which came with the streamer.

2. Now, assuming that it is safe to proceed this way, is it accurate on my part, to assume that I can figure out the best sounding directionality of each fuse using this approach, or is it better to install both SR orange fuses in the unit at once, and then attempt to figure out the best sounding directionality of each via permutations?

In case I risk going off topic, let me say that the unit I am referring to (the Metrum Acoustics Ambre) belongs in the same chain of components as the SR4T I have ordered to power my Etherregen.  That Etherregen feeds the Ambre in the same chain.

Regarding the the SR4T itself, the question still remains what difference it would make, if I replace its stock fuse with an SR Blue, which I already have, or another SR orange, which I shall have to get.

Any helpful thoughts about any of these questions would be welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

What’s the difference between the 2 cables? Does the “new” apply to Neotech ie. a new Neotech UPOCC cable, or to PH as in a new PH cable made from Neotech UPOCC? 

Is the PH cable JSSG360 shielded or a simple twisted pair? 

I’ve not tried any PH cable but have compared Neotech UPOCC twisted pair to a Ghent Neotech JSSG360 cable and the latter is superior, due entirely to the shielding.  I should also add that I’ve compared the Ghent UPOCC JSSG360 to one of Nenon’s Mundorf Silver/Gold JSSG360 designs and the latter is in a different league regarding SQ and resolution. To put that into the right context, the Ghent cable is capable of producing exceptional results....enough to satisfy even the most demanding audiophile. 

Okay, I'm a little confused about your comparison of the Ghent to Nenon's cables. Which one of them would be ideal for my PH SR4T?  I have already ordered the Ghent audio version.  Are you saying that Nenon's Mundorf Silver/Gold version would sound even better than the Ghent audio version?

17 minutes ago, Iving said:

I made my own Mundorfs for an SR7T. See recent post on SR7 thread if interested. I haven't heard Ghent alts. but Mundorfs prob. beat them hands down based on material = silver-gold vs. copper - plus various input from @Nenon and also others e.g. @austinpop on the "novel" thread. The Mundorf wire is more expensive than made-up Ghents. Mine are still cooking but what I hear is phenomenal - admittedly part of several simult. upgrades.

Thanks, but that also sounds a bit complicated, especially the DIY part. My question is: what might be the simplest way for someone like me,  with almost zero DIY expertise, to get my hands on a Mundorf for my SR4T?

3 minutes ago, Iving said:

You have ruled out the in-house PH cables? @austinpop has first hand experience.

No I did nor rule any out.  I actually ordered the PH silver dc cable option along with my SR4T, before realizing, upon reading posts on this site, that that  stock PH silver dc cable might not always sound the best for my purposes. That is when I decided to order the Ghent Audio version. I seem to be accumulating the DC cables, but I might soon order the SR5T too, when it becomes available, so I figure it is important that I get the DC cable part right.  Btw, I have contacted @Nenon too, to see what he thinks.  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Oepsie said:

Yay!! My SR4T arrived today!! Looking forward to hearing it with my sms-200 :)

With the upooc cable option.

Was it part of the April batch?  I've been told that mine, which is part of the May batch, will actually arrive at some point in June.  Just checking to make sure everything checks out about the way the production and shipping calendar is meant to behave.

Thanks

4 hours ago, shahed99 said:

@sahmen Did you receive your PH silver DC cable? If so, how does it sound compare to your Ghent?

@shahed99 My SR4T is going to be shipped with the May batch, so I'm expecting to receive it in about a couple of weeks from now, or thereabouts, along with the silver DC cable. I do not have all the pieces in hand yet, but when I do, I shall post my impressions.

I already have some Pangea AC 9SE MK II and Shunyata Venom power cables lying around, either of which which I could use with the SR4T.  I am sure either of them would be better than stock in performance, but I do not know how favorably they'd compare with that futurech DPS 4.1 version, which I am intrigued about, but cannot afford at the moment.

Certainly interesting, but given the considerably high price points of these cables, not to mention the quality they claim to have, would it be wise to terminate them with ordinary power connectors or plugs, or does one need to get matching furutech connectors, such as the following one, for example, which is more than $300 a pop? :

Furutech FI-50M (R) AC Power Connector

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-c2jb8p2u1p/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/311/1051/furutech-fi-50m-r__62277.1572271481.jpg?c=1&imbypass=on

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried replacing the stock fuse on the SR4T with a Synergistic Research Orange fuse, or any other kind of audiophile aftermarket fuse? If so could you kindly report on what kind of difference it made.

My SR4T is powering my Etherregen, and I just got an SR Orange fuse from the ongoing promo sale which I could try on the SR4T, if the change would be worthwhile. Any helpful thoughts that are based on first-hand experiences about the performance of audiophile fuses on the SR4T would be welcome.

By the way Stephen from Paul Hynes LTD mentioned that the appropriate specs for the stock fuse on the SR4T are 5 X 20mm, Slow blow 1A so I plan to replace it with an SR Orange with the same specs. There are, however, conflicting views on the internet as to whether replacing the stock with an audiophile fuse with the same specs might be a good idea. Some say the replacement fuse must have a higher amperage rating for best SQ results.  Others (particularly the manufacturers) tend to discourage that idea of using a higher amperage fuse, and sometimes quite vehemently too, so what gives?

7 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Why not try the fuse and decide for yourself?  If there is no difference, remove it and try somewhere else. :)

I still do not have the fuse in hand yet, that is why I have not tried it. I posted the question when I ordered the fuse. I thought I might benefit from the collective experience of this forum before implementing the swap myself.

I have only swapped a couple of fuses, so far, in my Metrum Acoustics Ambre Roon Bridge (I used the Audio Magic Ultimate Beeswax fuses in that case). I went with the Manufacturer's recommended specs then, and I have not experienced any issues... at least not yet, and the swap happened almost 2 years ago. The SR4T, being a power supply, seems like a different kettle of fish... I thought I might ask here about best practices from more experienced people even before my fuses arrive... It did not look like there was any harm in asking.

I am a bit confused about the language about ordering "the next size up," since the word "size" seems to refer to going from a small size fuse (5 X 20mm) to a large size one (6.3 X 32), which does not sound right. I am assuming then that you guys are speaking of going from say 1A to 1.25A in amperage ratings, in which case size refers to "amperage rating"... Correct?

4 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

A downside with respect to the SR fuses is that the instantaneous inrush of current on power up can cause them to blow.  The next larger size is often ordered to minimize this risk. Only a Pass phono stage suffered this issue in my case, and I for many years I have uses SR fuses in all the components that have fuses.

I have never read a single report arguing that there are SQ benefits to going with a higher amperage SR fuses.  

I will soon be receiving a pair of Orange fuses for my amp.  Previously I went with the manufacturer’s rating and had no issues with either Black or Blue fuses blowing on power up.  This time though I went one size larger just so I didn’t have to sweat the risk of these blowing.

So the point of going higher up in amperage ratings was to minimize the risk of blowing the fuse rather than improving its SQ performance? Okay got it,