IGNORED

JVS Cheerleads an MQA CD..Sis Boom Bah!

28 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Exactly my thoughts, that is a JVS fantasy/dream sequence of some sort.

He picked a very bad example in using Japan as the supposedly more educated and interested in MQA market, I'd venture it's really quite the opposite.

Yes, the articles I linked contain some pretty devastating numbers. Forbes even reports they could not give away lossless streaming for free.  The fact that so many music mega stores still continue to thrive is an indication they have different priorities.

4 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

Wind up right? Check out a pair of DSP5000s second hand at £600. Allo digital board , pi, Roon, NAS. I doubt you’ll get a sound like that for less than three times the price. 

Yup up look at RRP and swoon but plenty of people are picking up superb bargains just now.

dont let the real world interrupt your fantasy though which presumably is ....

Meridian=MQA=hate.

Serious? Eeeek....

..they were, what, $15,000 new? :ph34r:

37 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

I don’t think so, I know what they cost now and how they sound, which is pretty stunning.

I was very close, they were $12,500 a pair. It would have been a foolish purchase at the time as you would have

been locked into antiquated digital tech. Then they would have baited you into updated to the 5200, the usual game.

At roughly $800 used, clearly they clearly held no value.

4 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

From the company accounts, how do you know whether it is financial mismanagement, and not tax reduction techniques ?

I had a Meridian CD player in the 1990's, and used it for 7 years no issue.

Regards,

Shadders.

This was covered extensively. They bled money. Their products were a day late and a dollar short.

It would take pages to detail how out of touch with the market they were/are.

2 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

Indeed they have depreciated like any number of things. Surely this just points to what stunning value they are now? You'd have to hear them to know. I have the advantage there of knowing. But sound quality isn't really what this is about is it (unfortunately)? Its about Meridian = MQA + Hate.

Hate on!

i HAVE heard them by the way. And they did sound good. Not $12,000 good. But good.

And to say they have "depreciated" like other things is pretty funny.

JVS has had to correct him self numerous times after his initial post because he literally just made stuff up.

Here is is latest embarrassment-A PORTION of his last comment.

"Mastering Engineer Robert Ludwig explains to me that the way records are made follows this progression: Recording, mixing, mastering, and distribution. While the non-MQA files sounded a bit dry to me, Bob thought the sound "lovely and totally appropriate to the music.

For the record, John Kilgore mixed the two pieces with Grammy Award-winning producer Judith Sherman and Steve Reich sitting right next to him. Both approved the mix, and were happy with what they heard. Bob says, "As usual, I try to take everything that is given to me and make it sound better. So I mastered it as I have done for every Nonesuch project in my career." In other words, every mix of this recording has been mastered by Bob.He continues, "After mastering it, I thought that there was one more thing that it needed, and that was something I cannot do by myself, and that was to have MQA de-blur added to it."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/first-major-label-mqa-cd-steve-reich-nonsesuch#wa5wjBWkgg4AHMoo.03

We have a definitive statement that Bob Ludwig did NOT IN FACT "master" the MQA version. There ARE NO MASTERING TOOLS FOR MQA.

He had to have the process done AFTER THE FACT..to the files that the artist and production team PREVIOUSLY approved.

MQA is a total lie and it is ADDITIONAL UNNECESSARY PROCESSING. 

16 minutes ago, randyhat said:

When I read all of these MQA threads and see the anger, commitment and passion that so many have over this issue I realize I am not taking this hobby seriously enough.

Actually MQA has little to do with this hobby..it has much larger implications..there are serious anit-consumer forces at play, and all music lovers should be seriously concerned. The fact that it is another bottle of high end audio snake oil is secondary.

10 minutes ago, firedog said:

You just forgot to include the lines where BL says he had it sent away for MQA processing b/c he knew it would improve the sound, and it did. 

Did not forget a thing..remember, I can only paste a "portion" of any comment other wise the crybabies complain.

And in fact, it did not improve the sound, that is a fabrication. Ludwig claimed "mastered for iTunes" improved the sound.

26 minutes ago, firedog said:

Part of my point was that Ludwig says it sounded better:

I could tell that the MQA was going to help it a lot, and it did! As usual, an engineer does their very best to make the best musical product they can make. Then in this case, a piece of technology does something that nothing else can do! It is quite remarkable."\

I understood your point, and I would say IN MY OPINION he is a compensated liar.

21 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Perhaps I'm missing something. I'm wondering how well-founded you believe this opinion is and specifically why? How high is your confidence in the accuracy of this opinion?

I'm also wondering how other members would evaluate the degree of credibility this opinion has and why? That is, if anyone would care to respond.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I'm wondering how you feel about the topic of thread?

Anything you post that has nothing to do with the topic, will BE IGNORED.

14 minutes ago, plissken said:

Quoted from 

First Major-Label MQA CD: Steve Reich on Nonesuch. Jason Victor Serinus. 2/19/2018

Let's tease the obvious issues apart:

There are two RE-mastering studios: Air studios, Lyndhust Hall, London and Ludwig in Portland, ME. 

So here is the other issue: What format was delivered to these to mastering engineers? This would be a good place to start.

Then who was the original MIXING engineer? 

Another issue is the appeal to authority and it's shortcoming and that is

So what JVS is doing at this point is saying that no matter the source tracks provided, no matter that somehow John Kilgore's work, allusionaly bespoke, has been great in the past, but somehow now doesn't have any of the 'magic'. 

And for J.A and to protect CA and Chris from his shenanigans: 

Under section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, education and research.

Just to clarify for accuracy.

There were not 3 RE Mastering studios. There was the original recording venue/studio, a studio used to mix, and then a studio used to master.

When Ludwig was done, and felt "something else" was needed (cough, cough..) he sent it out to the Magic MQA Factory to be "de-blurred". There are NO MASTERING TOOLS for MQA. It is post processing DSP that is lossy. His story is so absurd, considering that with 40 years in the business and with every conceivable state of the art tool at his disposal, running it through a crappy software algorithm puts the final special sauce. To say the credibility of this premise is stretched to the limit is an understatement.

So-

Recording done in London, Mix done in New York, and Mastering done in Portland, ME.

In fact we don't know how many ADCs were used..was mixed in the box? Converted to analog then back to digital Same for the mastering.

The whole premise of "de-blurring" is so preposterous is gives me a good laugh daily.

40 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

While they do have a past association with Meridian and, afaik, help to support Sooloos for them,  it is important to acknowledge that they developed Sooloos and marketed it prior to Meridian's acquisition and that have taken their "intellectual property" when they left Meridian.   I think that the "Sooloos failure"  (whatever that is), is likely more Meridian's failure.

" I think that the "Sooloos failure"  (whatever that is), is likely more Meridian's failure.".

I agree with you. The products were also absurdly priced for the feature set, lagging behind other server solutions for a number of years. Stuart, in his brilliance, was focuses on hardware, and what are now the Roon guys knew that it was software that was going to be more important going forward.

1 hour ago, Spacehound said:

I don't know its previous history but it was a complete failure under Meridian's control, as most things 'Meridian' are.

Both It and Roon are ******* pointless. Only  obsessives ever read 'cover notes' , and even they have to be bored to do it,  and Sooloos/Roon have even more drivel.

And then there are Roon's dopey 'endpoints' It's all bollox.

..have you tried Roon?