IGNORED

I Now Consider The Stereophile Staff Snake Oil Salesmen

As I understand Jason Victor Serinus' reply to Jerome Sabbagh, he is basically saying listen to MQA; if it sounds better, nothing else matters.

Jerome pointed out a lot of problems with MQA that have nothing to do with sound quality. JVS basically tells him that the supposed better sound quality of MQA, justifies every other (bad) thing about MQA. I rolled my eyes when I read that one. 

Serinus is whistling one really bad tune... 

I hate to play devils advocate in this situation  (I am very anti MQA myself), but I would not paint with such a broad brush. I would not call everyone on Stereophile's staff a snake oil salesman. 

For example, I don't remember reading Art Dudley or Herb Reichert even mentioning MQA. 

In my opinion, TAS has been much more vocal, and over the top in their support of MQA than Stereophile. 

Have people forgotten this "gem" from Robert Harley?

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/let-the-revolution-begin/

FFS, he compares Bob Stuart's MQA in terms of a scientific revolution comparable to Newtonian physics!  

1 hour ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I hate to disappoint you , but Reichert wrote one of the most ignorant and pathetic MQA panders to date:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-hifi-brooklyn-da-processorheadphone-amplifier-herb-reichert-may-2017

Try not to throw up.

"Listening To MQA

I began my investigation of the Mytek Brooklyn, Tidal Masters, and MQA with Mozart's Violin Concerto 4 in D, K.218, performed by soloist Marianne Thorsen with Øyvind Gimse conducting the Trondheim Soloists, from the sampler 2L: The Nordic Sound—2L Audiophile Reference Recordings (2L). It came through at 24/352.8 and sounded like the purest DSD. While I listened, I kept mumbling, This is 21st-century hi-fi-del-i-ty radio—and it's unbelievable! And only $19.99 a month! (footnote 1)

"Daddy made a soldier out of me . . . and my Daddy said shoot!"

If you want to experience Tidal Masters MQA in full force, listen to "Daddy Lessons," from Beyoncé's ass-kicking Lemonade (Columbia). Certainly, there are MQA files that audiophiles will more heartily endorse, but I think Lemonade got the full MQA treatment. If you're not already a fan of Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter or MQA, this album's high-flying, 21st-century R&B poetics will fix both problems. I think "Don't Hurt Yourself," with Jack White, is one of the best pop songs I've heard in years, and MQA makes it a demonstration-quality track.

Another excellent Tidal Masters album is Björk's Vespertine (Elektra), which, when compared to my CD version, seemed incredibly more vivid, open, and present. The illusion of space was dramatically improved. Voices felt more solid, more precisely positioned. The MQA version of Vespertine sounded so much better than the CD that it seemed too good to be true.

When I visited Michal Jurewicz's mastering lab and studio in Greenpoint, we compared a lot of files: first without, then with MQA. In every comparison, MQA made the original recording sound more dynamic and transparent, but only sometimes more temporally precise. After a while, the MQA versions began to remind me of those old Loudness Contour buttons on 1960s receivers, which used equalization to compensate for the loss of treble and bass at low listening levels.

Consistently, MQA sounded as though it was tweaking the EQ in the presence region (footnote 2). I noticed that most of the MQA versions sounded rounded off and smoother than the originals, and asked why that was. Jurewicz said he wondered about that. It was also clear that MQA enhanced some vintage recordings much less than others, and again I wondered why. I'm certain that the provenance of the master used to create the MQA version plays an important role in the end result, but now, after listening at considerable length, I wonder more than ever: Will I ever comprehend the real reasons MQA sounds as enjoyably vivid and insightful as it does?

For now, I'm happily addicted to MQA, Tidal Masters, and the Mytek Brooklyn. Together, this trio delivered more plaisir and jouissance than I'm used to experiencing with streamed digital music. These milestone products have, each in its own way, brought computer audio to a hip new place in which I could hunker down for years, just having fun."

On the the Snake Oil List;

Atkinson

Fremer

Rubinson

Rechert

Austin

JVS

You are right about one thing, Art Dudley is the only hold out. There are good reasons. He probably would not be caught dead streaming from Tidal, and his competency with digital servers is nil. And he probably has an actual BS detector.

Thanks, I had not read that review from Reichert. Faint praise it is not! 

1 minute ago, patagent said:

He claims that he and his buddy listened to multiple versions of 50 albums in 8-10 hours.  Simple math shows that his claims are highly dubious.

Let's assume, Brinkman and his buddy listened to one song per album and they never performed listening tests on the same songs.

1 file / album  x 50 albums = 50 files

They listened to at least two versions of the files (MQA and non MQA).  On some files, they also listened to vinyl versions.

50 files x 2 versions = 100 files

Since this was a critical listening test, they matched volumes and presumably took notes.  Let's assume they spent 5-10 minutes on each file or 7.5 minutes.

100 files x 7.5 minutes / file = 750 minutes or 12.5 hours.  

This is assuming Brinkman and his buddy never performed listening tests on the same song which is highly unlikely.  

What you say makes sense. But it still isn't proof he lied. I wish he would list the 50 albums he listened to in order to help his case. 

51 minutes ago, dalethorn said:

So you're one of the guys who encourage friction and anger here, for your personal amusement.  That's good to know.  Not a good thing, but good to know your attitude.

Dale, weren’t you banned from Head fi for a while? Isn’t it possible that you are the one who creates friction with others?

Every time you show up, the thread goes to shit. Why is that Dale?

54 minutes ago, dalethorn said:

I practically invented computers.  That makes you a "user".

LOL

Aren’t you the guy that on Stereophile, compared himself to great historical figures like Martin Luther King and Ghandi?!

Your comment was deleted, or I would have happily provided a link.

14 minutes ago, dalethorn said:

Search for dale thorn.  First hit should be my website.  The software alone is 15 thousand hours of work.

LOL! Your website looks like it was designed in 1998! And you brag about your software skills. A high school kid could probably do in an afternoon what took you 15000 hours. 

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - Our friend Dale Thorn has left me the following message. Think you'll find it amusing. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 9.16.56 AM.png

Of course Dale will keep saying that everyone else is the problem...

A year from now he will be arguing he was never banned from CA! 

20 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

It pays to read carefully. He didn't actually say he joined Mensa. He worded it so we would assume that he was a member. His aim was to make an "ass" out of "u" and "me". 

We need to take the same care when reading marketing material / listening to salespeople.

That’s because Mensa didn’t want Dale. He wasn’t cool enough for them... :P