IGNORED

Audio Blind Testing

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Read other areas of the forum, and you will also see quite a few reports by well qualified members, that even the O.S. itself can result in small audible differences with "bit perfect" files.

We can test this easily. Download the files from http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html? using your Apple device and another set with your Windows. Transfer all to your media player and do the blind test. 

59 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Like myself, Peter hears a little differently with each ear, which highlights some phase anomalies etc.

Generally, human cannot tell absolute phase unless a certain part of his brain function is non functional. Google for more info on this. And it is interesting to find that both of you have phase anomalies. Also, some boutique amplifiers couldnt reproduce the DSP effect I mentioned earlier because of phase inconsistency.

Mmmm.......

Sometimes, it is hard to distinguish MP3(320kps) if the original source lacked enough HF. Another aspect to consider is the way the compression is made. Most of us resort to joint stereo compression vs stereo as joint stereo will always be the default setting. Usually, the joint stereo MP3 can sound slightly different and the overall balance of music skewed. 

This is subjective observation of mine but it is also written elsewhere that joint stereo compression sounds inferior to stereo.

20 minutes ago, sandyk said:

In which case you must believe that the series of 6 separate (by date) DBTs that I refer to, were either not correctly performed, or that around 8 repeats per session , all with positive results is inadequate ?

What are the odds against results such as those being false results or not meaning anything ?

Sandyk, I am unable to find the relevant post. The hificritic link returns page not found error. Could you please provide the link? Thanx.

4 hours ago, esldude said:

Well for some pieces of gear when you can insert or remove it from the chain of reproduction and hear no change.  For others it would be a comparison where you listen to different gear level matched side by side and see if you hear a difference.  This is better done without knowing which is which imo.  A blind test of people with good hearing is another way.  Though actually not much useful to audiophiles in practice.  Designing gear beyond limits laid out by more rigorous academic hearing research is another approach.  If you get gear that works accurately in a measured sense down to the limits of physics.

Of course these typically don't convince audiophiles.

Unfortunately, this method is not consistent. You can spend months perfecting a reproduction of your favorite tracks only to discover that the sound is not perfect for another familiar track later.

Audio got no standard of reference. No human voice is alike and they are so unique that it can be used as voice recognition. There is no standard piano sound. The acoustic piano sound is different than a digital piano. Even a live string quartet is going to sound different and possibly horrible in your room. In short, the natural live sound is not consistent and varies according to the venue/surrounding.  A live guitar performance in your living room is going to sound different in your music listening room. There is no absolute reference in audio. It is always depended on your surrounding.

The next hurdle is reproducing the recorded sound in your system. All sound in nature is essential mono. There is no stereo sound. All reproduction using Stereophonics replay is inherently flawed. We have just learned to accept them as natural.  Stereo sound will always sound veiled but just like many things in life, after years of stereo sound exposure, we have learned to filter away the flaws. It is just like we have learned to ignore the nose which is always in our field of vision. If you have an original mono recording (one channel) of solo vocalist, listen to that with one speaker and then with two speakers and the veil will become apparent to you.

The idea of reproducing the sound in your room is to recreate high fidelity sound matching your room. It should sound like listening to actual performance with no hint of unnaturalness. A string quartet should sound like a string quartet performed in real space of the venue. That the transparency in audio we should go after, IMHO.

34 minutes ago, fas42 said:

" Sound like listening to actual performance with no hint of unnaturalness" also gives a specific listening characteristic with mono sound over stereo speakers - I have used other ways of describing this, but an apt one in this case is that it presents as if you had a single speaker in front of you, which is on rails, from left to right, and this mono source moves as you do, from left to right, tracking you as you move around, being always being in front of you, with respect to the real speakers.

I have to agree with Esldude reply to this. The source can move but not necessarily the same direction as yours. Occasionally, I do get the effect you described when someone is nagging but even then it is usually from the side or back. :)