IGNORED

The fact that Atkinson showed up here

4 hours ago, Tony Lauck said:

...  The optimum filter for playback of 44.1 recordings is going to vary according to the filter used for recording ...

Fixed it for you. :)

...  It is not possible to have a system that has full frequency range (e.g. up to 20 kHz), is free of ringing, and does not create spurious frequencies due to aliasing.

That's true. But does the "ringing" make an audible difference in practice?

First, ignore what a Dirac pulse shows when passed through the reconstruction filter. That's an invalid scenario that should never occur in practice. (I will grant that heavy handed digital processing during production can cause such signals, but I trust no-one here thinks such mangling has any relevance to hi-fi.)

Measure the amplitude of the sum of the >20 KHz components of real world music compared to the critical mid-band. Pass the music through a sharp cut-off 22 KHz low pass filter.  If you can hear the resulting 22 KHz "ringing" over the masking of the mid-band signal, you may have some bat in your ancestry.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Are there any of these "competent engineers"? ...

I was thinking in the context of high fidelity. I don't consider such distorted music as high fidelity. (Which is a problem for me, because most of the current music that I like is produced in this style.)

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.